Why You Should Declare Your Mods

Ekona

• 7 months later...

I have q link to a story that also says insurers are clamping down on fraudulent policies. I.e. not declaring accidents and "fronting" where parents insurer as the main driver on their kids cars, and insurer the kid as a named driver. They are also clamping down on those that insurer there car at their parents address but live else where. University for example. They are using new systems that now check details across insurers to check details and also linking with the police. If you get caught for any of these it will void your insurance, and they can also prosecute for fraud. And if found guilty, you'll find it impossible to get any insurance in the future. This also includes claiming to park in a garage at night, they are sending investigators out. Ant if your house doesn't have one, they'll void the policy as well.

had lowered suspension, alloy wheels, an air vent in the bonnet well come on... Can get the lowered suspension but alloy wheel and air vent in the bonnet.

Either way I'm dead set to declare ALL my mods to the insurance company due to things like above, knowing my luck it'll be me sitting there told I'm not insured (even though I'd probably paid 1200€ for the plessure of 'thinking' I'm insured)

:blackeye:

Horrible all the same... at least there is a body to pick up the pieces of uninsured drivers. :drunk:

• Like 1

i think if you say it's garaged and you don't even have one you are a complete tard

+1 and you deserve everything you get in my book!

I can never understand people like my c0ck of a father. He is terrified about being 'fully insured' so he pays fully comp on a car worth a packet of crisps, protects his no claims bonus, worried about excesses being low, legal cover and all that guff.

.........then when I used to ask if he declares, his alloys, stainless zorst, aftermarket parking sensors, airfilter ETC he's like 'well the car already had alloys on it and the zorst doesn't do anything'.

So he's basically paying all these premiums for whats effectively an uninsured car because the policy will be voided if he ever comes to claim.

But then again like I said........the guy is a *****.

Having absorbed DP7657's post on the Admiral thread I think we need to think about the fact that there's nowhere in the small print of policies that says wear and tear items MUST be replaced with OEM parts - therefore aftermarket parts for such items - i.e. rotors, pads, exhaust, ARBs etc- should not need to be declared - only those that are not declared and that will increase power or purely cosmetic mods should invalidate insurance. ;)

Good luck if you want to take the risk. I don't think I would.

If you chucked a Kwik Fit pair of brake pads on your Mondeo an insurer wouldn't bat an eyelid, if you put a set of Yellowstuffs onto your Zed they'd have a field day. It's not fair, but to state otherwise is daft IMHO.

Its like a pop charger - if anything it probably slows you down but you'd be invalidated back into the stone age if you didn't declare it :thumbdown:

Basically if you can see that an insurer is trying to screw you on premiums every year think how much they're going to try and wriggle free if you have an accident.

Does this good advice also apply to aftermarket alloys? I'm wondering about whether to declare my 19" Nismos.

*sigh* unfortunately yes.

Basically if it aint standard then its an argument to invalidate the policy.

Does this good advice also apply to aftermarket alloys? I'm wondering about whether to declare my 19" Nismos.

Remember though that these were an official accessory though. Make sure the insurance company know that.

Remember though that these were an official accessory though. Make sure the insurance company know that.

Good thinking - I'll get on to that soon.

Cheers, Stew. :thumbs:

Its like a pop charger - if anything it probably slows you down but you'd be invalidated back into the stone age if you didn't declare it :thumbdown:

Basically if you can see that an insurer is trying to screw you on premiums every year think how much they're going to try and wriggle free if you have an accident.

well of course a pop charger would be considered an upgrade not a direct replacement - but if you're just sticking in a different panel filter they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they tried to say that was a modification.

I for one would be more than prepared to argue the toss on wear and tear items if any insurance company tried to say I had invalidated my insurance by putting on non OEM parts - it would be down to them to try and prove that there had been 'betterment' as a result of replacing said parts :)

just to add my bit about my insurance problems if i leave my car at home in the garage the policy is about £500, if i park it on my royal navy base which has a 10ft high razor wire fence 2 guards with loaded SA80's and you have to have a car pass and ID card to get in, its over £600 so where is the sense in that.

• Like 1

just to add my bit about my insurance problems if i leave my car at home in the garage the policy is about £500, if i park it on my royal navy base which has a 10ft high razor wire fence 2 guards with loaded SA80's and you have to have a car pass and ID card to get in, its over £600 so where is the sense in that.

the naval base is a high risk target? :shrug: in comparison to your garage at home

• Like 1

well of course a pop charger would be considered an upgrade not a direct replacement - but if you're just sticking in a different panel filter they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they tried to say that was a modification.

I for one would be more than prepared to argue the toss on wear and tear items if any insurance company tried to say I had invalidated my insurance by putting on non OEM parts - it would be down to them to try and prove that there had been 'betterment' as a result of replacing said parts :)

I know but the point I was getting at is that a pop charger if anything reduces the risk because it slows you down. Even if you declare it they don't insure replacement of the mod itself so their argument for increased premium must be that the pop charger makes the car faster.

A direct replacement K&N panel filter might make a difference but reasonably you could get away without declaring it like you said.

Much like everything else in the world these days........its just a big load of bollox!

• 8 months later...

Just ordered a Cobra exhaust to replace my stock one which failed horribly and has died a rusty painful noisy death. Anyone on here give me a hint as to how much Admiral are going to gouge me for an aftermarket exhaust? Even though my understanding is it does nothing to the performance of the car, its just the back box and mid pipe I got by the way.

Just ordered a Cobra exhaust to replace my stock one which failed horribly and has died a rusty painful noisy death. Anyone on here give me a hint as to how much Admiral are going to gouge me for an aftermarket exhaust? Even though my understanding is it does nothing to the performance of the car, its just the back box and mid pipe I got by the way.

Admiral are excellent at being reasonable with declaring mods. Check on their website as you may be able to declare it via email at no extra cost.

Make sure you tell them this phrase: "It's a non-performance enhancing back-box and tips only"

How far do you go with the optional extras though? Should you declare the optional extra sat nav as well?