Staggered or Square Setup?

zero260

This is swaying me towards putting 10's all round. It is all about the stance.lol

if you go for a square setup you'll need to get the Geo altered to set the car up best for handling. the Geo alterations will hopefully put back in some of the steering control and grip change you'll get from the new setup.

I always get the geo redone when ever I change for wider wheels or fit new suspension and it will defo need doing after these changes as it will also be slammed as low as I can get it.........may need a bit of arch rolling/flaring.lol

Looks like I will also be investing in some adjustable camber arms. :D

Excuse my ignorance but I take it the same would apply in reverse then? I would need the geometry adjusting if I ever went from the oem square setup to a staggered one? If that's the case you are saying cars left the factory with different geo setups depending on whether they had upgraded to Rays or not? That's useful info to know if true.

i thought the Zed came with a staggered setup from the factory. i know the rays are staggered, so were the 19" nismos and the gt4 wheels.

were the stock oem sizes a square setup?

i would have thought the car would be set to the wheels. all systems would have to be set up once the cars built as each car is different.

Yep, stock oem is a square setup. 8j all round.

Don't see the point in going square on the aftermarket wheels as you will have to run staggered tyres anyway. Its just going to be an extra weight penalty on the fronts.

i am running 265 fronts and 295 rears on staggered 19x 8.5 and 19x9.5 wheels :scare: . this wheels are a tad undersized for these tyres but i have seen no adverse effects on fast road or tarck use using MPS2 N1 tyres which have a rigid side wall. however i reckon a softer side wall tyre like falkens will squirm alot and make the car less sure-footed so unless you are sticking with stiffer walled MPS2 tyres or the like the best wheel for these wider tyres should be at least a 9j up front and a 10j at the rear though 9.5j and 10.5j will be perfect.

In your case if you want to run 275, it will be perfect for the 19x10j wheel and will not need rear arch rolling and 19x 9j in front will carry a 245 tyre nicely. All you need is to make sure you have the right ETs for a nice flush fit :thumbs:

tyre wall stiffness will depend on profile. i run the falkens on a 30 and 35 profile and they are like concrete. as the profile is low they come as an XL tyre and are reinforced.

mine are on an 8J and 9J wheel running 225 front and 255 rear. i wouldn't put more than a 265 on a 9j 255 is a perfect size. (different car from the Zed)

as GT4 has said go for a 10 rear and you can fit a 275 nicely on it.

Its not too bad as this is just a show car and will never get tracked etc, but I do like the best of both worlds where the car looks good but also performs in all the right places. Im gonna try the 10's all round and get the geometry setup and see what it is like, if it does handle like crap then I can always get a smaller width wheel up front and just use the wide front wheels for the shows/events.

I will be going for Fk452's as I have always found them great on all my previous motors. I will be trying to push the stance to its limits though, so up front I think I will be ok but I am even toying with a 20mm spacer with an et20 on the rear. :scare:

That is mental and very very nice. I found someone in america with a g35 who was running 12j's and -20 offset on stock body......how much negative camber must that be running! :scare:

I dont think that stance could cope with the roads over here.lol

im toying with going 19x10 allround prob run et0 allround aswell. If you do go for this sort of set up with slamming then you WILL need arch rolling allround.

my current set up is 19x8.5 et-5 front and 19x9.5 et-10 rear lowerd around 40mm, im running slightly streched tyres aswell for clearence and looks B)

if your not going to be tracking it then go for it :thumbs:

That is mental and very very nice. I found someone in america with a g35 who was running 12j's and -20 offset on stock body......how much negative camber must that be running! :scare:

I dont think that stance could cope with the roads over here.lol

It's a bit much for my taste. There's a point imho where stretch and camber gets stupid.

This is even a bit too far out back for me and a bit too much stretch, but it does look quite nice, now, if that was 9.5, 10.5 with sensible offsets:

img_1418.jpg

I agree RisingPower, it gets too a point where you can go too far, so much negative camber and extreme stretch on tyres must make the car a nightmare to drive as well as a tad dangerous. It does look good though.

Im just trying to find a point where its just right (for me anyway.lol) where I can have wide wheels and great looks without sacrificing driveability etc.. Fingers crossed the 19x10's all round will be just right. Ive just got to put some thought into what size tyres I should go for now. :thumbs:

Running tyres outside of the manufacturers spec with regards to wheel width is both dangerous and stupid. By all means do it on a spare set of wheels you take with you and swap over at the point of parking when at a show (although I will laugh at you because it looks totally awful), but don't run them on the roads.

As always, check the tyre manufacturers website for what size wheels for your chosen tyres.

Running tyres outside of the manufacturers spec with regards to wheel width is both dangerous and stupid. By all means do it on a spare set of wheels you take with you and swap over at the point of parking when at a show (although I will laugh at you because it looks totally awful), but don't run them on the roads.

As always, check the tyre manufacturers website for what size wheels for your chosen tyres.

and wait for our drifting brothers to now come and tell us how they run them all and they grip fantastically and there are no issues with running stretched tyres on oversized wheels with ridiculiuos camber.

they never post normally but seem to find these threads within 24 hours :lol:

:lol:

Those cars look diabolical.

+1 look like they have had rick waller driving them with michelle mcmanus in the passenger seat and a boot load of brick rubble. Rank.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Fantastic :lol:

So you won't be running camber like this then? :p

Lmao! now that is extreme and very funny. :lol: