NURBURGRING - April 2011 - **Update 15/2/11**

It is dangerous and you're right it normally is the fault of the driver. On my video from Europe, you see a Porsche overtake me, you get to see him about 60 seconds later slightly dented on the right hand side of the track.

I had no issues with a public day - where I expected my 1st lap to be cautious, so was expecting a large amount of traffic. I made sure that I was aware of the traffic around me and in front, and gave way to those who wanted to pass.

On the other side of this, I managed to shave 2 minutes off my leisurely first lap, and as a result was now overtaking cars. Those which I overtook were courteous and moved over to the right hand side, some of which would indicate to allow me to pass. I never saw one incident which I found dangerous, although I've only done 4 laps, so I guess there are plenty of times when idiots get onto the track and care for nobody bar themselves.

I don't intend to set super great lap times, more the case of enjoying what the track brings, open the throttle enjoy the corners blast the straights! Yes I have a personal goal to reduce my fastest time, but in the same light I don't want to endanger myself or others.

I totally agree that a small minority of people on the Ring could be dangerous, although I'd say driving down any UK motorway would be more hazerdous!! The amount of people who don't pay attention, sit in lanes they shouldn't. At least at the ring you avoid a large majority of these examples!

I've had a route around at some of the track day sites and all of which don't have any indication of specific track days which are non public for 2011 as yet.

I'd say that we should still proceed with a public day, although avoiding the popular days such as the weekend. I foresee that with the dates planned we could do Thursday and Friday, or if the weather is poor to slide in other days over the weekend, if needs be.

I was hoping that on either the Sat or Sun there would be a scheduled race occuring so that we can have a chill - have some beers and watch a race of somekind, although the events listing on their website doesn't give this information as yet.

I shall start a thread to get the ball rolling. I guess that Thursday to Monday as specified seems pretty much in agreement.

The RING here we come!! :drunk: Oooops I mean :drive1

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The team have considered the request to relax the 12 month ban on a member that expires on 24/5/2011 so that he can attend this event. It has been decided that given the reasons for the ban in the first place it would not be appropriate to vary the restriction imposed.

Those posts by, and relating to the member concerned who despite the ban chose to put his name forward, have been removed from this thread the companion entry list:

viewtopic.php?f=97&t=42285

Ian (Wasso) is now keen to move forward with his plans, which are fully supported by the team. We trust that further posts will relate solely to the event planned and there will no further need to moderate either thread. Any posts either here or on the entry list that otherwise seek to raise the issue of the banned member will be deleted as distracting from the primary topic.

Thank you.

After a long chat with alex, I'm gonna remove my name completely as I'm going to wait on a private day at the ring. Don't fancy the public cutting out in front of me with a bus.. I can get that at home and is purely the reason I've taken my car off the road to be used as a track car as I don't want it wrecked due to my inexperience in driving and the ability of day to day drivers putting me in a position where I may damage my car. A track should be purely private to ensure ur average Joe bloggs driver, with no consideration for others, doesn't do something silly and put you in a position to crash. Therefore I'll watch other forums for private days.

Flame me if you wish but u know it's true... :bangin:

Have fun lads

Paul, you can't take that immaculate car across the water and onto the track :scare::scare::scare::drive1

Good to see names are getting listed again :thumbs:

I was contemplating moving the event and joining in with the ZClub forum - where they are looking to hold their event the end of May beginning of June. The only issue I see with these dates is that it's going to be right behind the Wales trip and if anyone plans an early'ish holiday, I can see June becoming an issue also. I have a feeling the track will be a lot busier by June as well.

Therefore I think we should stick with the suggested dates in April.

Once the dates are listed on the Nurburgring site, I can then confirm these dates are sufficient. Once everything is in agreement I'd like to get said names booked for the ferry! :yahoo:

Sorry to hear this Neil, although if you change your mind the invite will be open. :thumbs:

I know what you are saying if you are a keen track day driver, although I think the impression of lunatics on the ring is sorely mistaken. Count the amount of cars seen in this video, and this was August!!

(I can't post the video direct at work - so here's a link to my Europe trip page, scroll down and select the first video).

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=40837&hilit=european+trip

Sorry to hear this Neil, although if you change your mind the invite will be open. :thumbs:

I know what you are saying if you are a keen track day driver, although I think the impression of lunatics on the ring is sorely mistaken. Count the amount of cars seen in this video, and this was August!!

(I can't post the video direct at work - so here's a link to my Europe trip page, scroll down and select the first video).

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=40837&hilit=european+trip

To be honest mate I'll be arranging my own trip outwith the forum regardless due to the current outcome with regards to colons post.

Thanks and praise to the forum

Alex - are there such days which aren't public? Are we not the public? I'm no racing driver or track go'er so I'd look a tad incompetent in comparison to some, if it was a non public day?

The insurance I've found covers you for the track only and not personal liability which is about £250 although worth it if you fancy rearranging the barriers and so on.

Andlid, what are the chances of you making it also?

Remember that the track is basically a public toll road which resuilts in loads of serious accidents,

also there are long queues on most public days especially if the weather is good and if it is a public holiday or at weekends.

There are many, many clubs that organise private events and these are much safer and better than the public days and are easy to sign up to.

I personally would not go out on a public day.

This might help you understand better what I am trying to say.

http://www.rmatrackdays.com/?id=nurburgring

It is not that bad on the public days.

I have recently been there on 3 occasions and as long as you treat the track with respect and admit that you do not "know" it, and drive just like on a country road then we should all be more than fine.

Just don't try to impress anyone, I have seen some of those return, on top of a pick up lorry with some dents in their UK reg BMW (usually).

Regarding insurance, it has been discussed here. http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 0questions

ummm thanks for posting, i'd love to go but was always worried about insurance and what if.... kinda scares me off to be honest :surrender: But to all those that do go have a great time as i know you will.

And Ian excellant idea for organising this, good job. Looking forward to seeing you and the guys down south

I have seen the adverts for RSR - there's some nice prices to go with hiring their cars as well!!

So, Thomas will you be meeting us there for a few laps and beers?

Will, don't chicken out at this early stage, get your name down, you know it makes sense. It may be called the "Green Hell" - probably the most dangerous track in the world, but hey ho. :teeth:

Honestly I was expecting there to be untold cars, lunatics and so on, but it was easier and more pleasant to drive than the M25. That's where you get the idiots!! Those who don't have a clue on the road are the highest risk. Luckily you don't get any of those on the ring!

• 2 weeks later...
Would love to do this one day....

Not just yet though, I don't want to go through the Pearly Gates backwards in a burning Zed :surrender:

Maybe a lesson or two from Sabine Schmitz would be a good start... :blush:

Comments in the comments thread Dave!! :bangin:

Backwards in a burning Zed sounds impressive!! Maybe a few somersaults to add a bit of drama?

It's not as bad as you think, you won't end up in the barrier unless you want to? I managed 4 laps round the ring and gave it around 85% - although to be fair had my brakes been cooler I might have pushed a bit harder. I'm hoping to wear out my Falkens by April so that I can get some decent rubber!!

Put your name down, you won't need lessons, we're not racing and we're not trying to set lap records. It's a bit of fun, cruising through Europe and making the most of the Ring and surrounding areas. Simple!

Name on list??? :teeth:

Fuel tokens sound like a GREAT idea - I'll grab further info from you both nearer the time.

I'll be looking at accomodation for the event over the next few days, so I'll post up pictures and prices for the suggested dates!