First jobs on new 370...

Burn

Picked up my new Storm White from WLMG Slough late yesterday, pouring with rain, not ideal.

Enjoyment of drive home was marred by the weather and the Friday evening M25 traffic.

First impressions when compared to TT... noisier, ride a little harsher, more bumps, bangs and squeeks, doesn't seem to have the initial on/off acceleration that made the Audi such a revelation when I first got it.

The better news...

Engine noise is yummy, and I'm sure it will only get better with the help of Abbey and HKS.

The side rear view is to die for, the whole area from side rear roofline/window/haunches is absolutely stunning in the flesh (sounds silly but reminds me of a De Tomasa Pantera), and white is so obviously the best colour ;)

It has so much more personality than the TT, the Z feels so much more than the sum of it's parts, it's a car where even the faults will become acceptable quirks.

I have loads of questions...

What do I do first? Detailing, is there a definitive 'do this first' routine?

Stance, lower and wider, how low, springs or coilovers? Wider suitably offset wheels or spacers? What are new 19" forged Rays/tyres likely to fetch?

Engine? How do I get my on//off acceleration back (or is this the auto boxes fault)? Lighter flywheel? Intakes, catback, decat, Uprev - is it worth the £2-3000 to do it properly with HKS kit?

Bodywork - how do I get the front end looking as gorgeous as the rear 3/4 view? Currently front looks too much like a Celica, lacks drama and visual impact.

Thanks in advanced for sharing your expertise and opinion. :)

I'd be doing a full detail to get all the factory crap off it ;) Get that clay bar out!

You've obviously done some research already if you're talking HKS parts and Abbey labour- but I'd spend a couple of months with the car standard until you get the feel for the things you want to change.

lovely car BTW - saw your post go up last night :thumbs: Now get her nice and clean and show us some pics :teeth:

Glad you love the car. Funny your initial feeling for the 370 were exactly the same as mine when I had one for a week. That side / rear view is fantastic.

A big improvement to the front and back is to add a carbon cover see some pics of ebizeds storm white 370. His cosmetic changes both with the carbon and spacers make a huge difference to the look of the car.

Next mod would definitely be an exhaust. The 370 with a standard exhaust is really missing out. Again I believe ebized has a stillen (??) installed and the sound is superb. If you think yours is nice now wait till you hear that exhaust. I'm sure there will be another meet our way soon and you can see 'guns' and have a chat to Colin about his changes.

Getting it professionally detailed is also a Great idea. Should cost about 200 but it's a Greta chance to watch and learn them prep the car and give tips.

Enjoy the car and maybe see you at the next meet.

The lack of on/off acceleration is because you have the auto box. It doesnt have a fly wheel, but a torque converter. This is usually very quick to lock up, but if you are on/off when it is not locked, it will feel odd as it takes a slight delay for it to get up to speed and lock, once locked its very responsive. Have a google about torque converters and it will explain all ;) Only way to make the auto quicker is to get new clutch packs and valves for the auto box, but I dont think there are even upgrades for the 370z box yet.

Just get used to driving it and you'll get on just fine with it. Was the TT an auto?

Hi Chris

Yes Audi was Auto, but I think the VAG auto box is arguably one of the best?

Am I right in thinking that the Z auto box, although 7-speed, is relatively old-skool technology?

Out again today and this evening, bucketing it down, been near sideways a couple of times which was interesting :lol:

Also found even in standard spec it is quite susceptible to scraping on sleeping policemen, maybe my plans to lower it may need to be reviewed :headhurt:

No doubt car will be filthy in the morning :yuck:

Getting it professionally detailed is also a Great idea. Should cost about 200 but it's a Great chance to watch and learn them prep the car and give tips.

Will take that advice... live in Chertsey, work in Maidenhead - any detailer recommendations from anyone?

Yes the auto box is old skool style (with a torque converter) but its very fast at what it does. Its not a DSG style double clutch, so that will be why you are feeling some lag. To me this feels more natural, DSG just doesnt feel right to me, its too seamless, doesnt have any character. Once you get used to it, its very quick at what it does, you just need to relearn how it likes to be driven. Once the torque converter is locked up, its like a manual with the clutch engaged, no breaks in the transmission. Its only if you are on/off a lot that it will unlock. Also I find giving it part throttle/small amounts of throttle, it doesnt lock up very quickly, if you give it a good prod it gets the idea :lol:

I have previously spoken to Tim @ Envy Valeting and although he's in Hants he does travel, I am certainly going to book him to come to Surrey, maybe we'll, get discount for two!!?? ;) Check out his trader pages and pix I think you'll agree some of the results are outstanding :thumbs:

Getting it professionally detailed is also a Great idea. Should cost about 200 but it's a Great chance to watch and learn them prep the car and give tips.

Will take that advice... live in Chertsey, work in Maidenhead - any detailer recommendations from anyone?

what i did instead of paying someone £200 is signed up to detailingworld forum asked loads of questions and did it myself. the results were outstanding. i spent the £200 on jetwash and products etc which i am still using! much better way to spend £200 imo

what i did instead of paying someone £200 is signed up to detailingworld forum asked loads of questions and did it myself. the results were outstanding. i spent the £200 on jetwash and products etc which i am still using! much better way to spend £200 imo

Also not a bad shout, I have a compressor in the garage so might might buy some air-pressure washing gear - although I think I'll get Envy to do it first (so I can watch and learn), probably get them to come to work where I can rope a couple of others into sharing the cost ;)

Also bought a couple of satin Z badges to replace the Nissan ones front and rear, front is on and looking nice, rear one is too big :shrug:

Any traders do the smaller satin Z badge specifically for the rear of the 370??

Exhaust!!!! I was toying with the idea of getting one but never felt I needed to commit to one until yesterday. I went out for a drive with a mate and my brother, my brother with an R32 GTR and a mate with a Honda S2000, dear me my car sounded so weak in comparison, that engine deserves a proper exhaust!

*cough* Stillen *cough* ;)

Having had the pleasure of travelling up to santa pod yesterday in ebizeds 370 that has a stillen I couldn't agree with you more. It sounded fantastic and far better than the stock exhaust on the 370 I had for a week. Nice and deep when you want it and not intrusive when you want to sit back and cruise on the motorway.

*cough* Stillen *cough* ;)

Having had the pleasure of travelling up to santa pod yesterday in ebizeds 370 that has a stillen I couldn't agree with you more. It sounded fantastic and far better than the stock exhaust on the 370 I had for a week. Nice and deep when you want it and not intrusive when you want to sit back and cruise on the motorway.

Must have just been my driving then that put you off having a lift back, rather than the noise :blush:

Bloody M1 and 50 mph restriction the whole way from the M25 to the A509 and not a workman in sight - OK it was between 06.30-07.00 on a Sunday morning, but come on.... :angry:

opps sorry, went :offtopic::bangin: