Zed's in winter

jimgallaher

Isn't there a kind of snow chain that doesn't cause damage to roads if the snow clears up a bit, thats the trouble with our weather you get 2 inches of snow and nothing moves for a week then you wake up one morning and it's all gone!

Anyway I am stockpiling grit in my garage to sell for £20 a bag when there is a national shortage again, so if anyone wants some I will consider becoming a member trader :ban:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't there a kind of snow chain that doesn't cause damage to roads if the snow clears up a bit, thats the trouble with our weather you get 2 inches of snow and nothing moves for a week then you wake up one morning and it's all gone!

I am more concerned about damaging the Zed than the road :lol:

I tried venturing out last year in the snow,got about a mile then had to abandon it overnight outside a pub.Longest night of my life,thought I would turn up next morn to find it on bricks. :scare:

Car ended up stuck on drive for 2 weeks while I used the mrs Peugeot.Will be using hers again this year.

Really dreading my first zed winter! :scare:

A few years back had an encounter with a dry stone wall after hitting black ice, so not a fan of the slippy stuff!

Liking the sound of winter tyres...either that or I'm buying a bicycle! :lol::lol::lol:

i know a few guys with scars from being on bikes through winter :wacko:

[offtopic]two guys at work cycled in together (they lived in the same house) one of them was, well... a bit of a div. My mate gordon (the other one) tolerated him on a regular basis but wanted out. anyway, on a cylce to work in the snow, the div (or moonface as we know him behind his back) said loudly "Gordon! lets swap handle bars!!" with that, he let go of his handlebars leant over to gordon riding beside him and grabbed his. Needless to say they ended up in a mangled heap of snow, bike and ruined work clothes.

I laughed for days at the cuts and bruises :lol:

MOOOOON FACE

[/offtoipc]

Does anyone has any experience with snow chains?

Only as a passenger, my dad used them in the winter of 62/63, I think he had them on his mini for about a month. It was so cold and snowy that winter that grit and salt had little effect and all the roads, even the main ones around here had packed snow on them for weeks on end. Some roads, including where I live now were closed for 3 months and the council concentrated on keeping the main roads "passable".

Pete

The main problem I had last winter was actually getting into the car, the door locks were frozen solid on many occasions, anyone else have this problem?

Pete

I think rtbiscuit came up with a solution for this..silicone grease on the rubber door seal :thumbs: Have just bought some..will put that to the test when it gets :cold:

I couldn't even get my car out of the driveway for two weeks earlier this year. I just nicked a van from work and that was fine!

Eventually I managed to get the car out and got it to work... the same day that we had the second big downfall of snow. So the car was stuck a work for a few days. My wonderful colleague thought it'd be pretty funny to do this...

DSC02725.jpg

I supposed I deserved it, I'm always taking the pi$$ out of his car and he was able to get to work and back fine in the snow. Doh! :doh:

I couldn't even get mine off the drive last winter so I ended up taking the bus to work. The route to work has some dodgy hills so I probably did myself a favour not taking it out. Think I'm destined for the same format this year.

This is a picture of the killer hill my drive is on..............

Spoiler007.jpg

I didnt even try to get of the driveway, Luckinly i have a 4x4 so i was the model employee and made nit into work each day!

Now i have moved i live at the top of a hill so there is no chance of me even trying to take it out in the snow or ice! He will be snug in the garage away from the idiots that still want to drive as fast as they can.

damn, thats one hill I would never tackle in the zed at winter
Its certainly a monster! ;) I did buy the Zed knowing that this might happen in the winter and I can still say it is worth it for those dry days in the summer........or should that be the dry day in the summer.