370z Detail

chippy

After picking up the Z brand new from the dealers a little over a week ago, I was really disappointed with the paint finish - really quite rough to the touch. More about this further down!!

Anyway, after getting all the goodies together this week and not having washed it since I've had it home, the plan was to get up early this morning and give the paint work a good going over.

First up was a gentle hose down with clean water to get the loose dirt off. (Sorry forgot to take a piccy before I'd started)

clean1.JPG

Next up was a good coat of snow foam.

clean2.JPG

I followed this up with another gentle rinse from the hose. I then gave her a washwith a lambswool pad, Meguirs Hyperwash and used two buckets (in accordance with the prophecy). Then another gentle rinse.

Normally I'd dry the car off at this stage with some drying towels but left it this time whilst I gave the rims, wheel arches and door jams a good wash and rinse, although I did towel dry thse off.

Next up I gave the whole car a clay barring with Sonus Ultra Fine Clay and Sonus Glyde spray. Used up a whole bar (butter fingers dropped the first half bar half way through!)

clean3.JPG

Now the paint work was now lovely and super smooth.

Next up I decided it would be a good time to give the outside of the windows a clean, so that the glass cleaning spray didn't go all over the waxed car. I gave the drivers side window a clean and then discovered that the glass was still filthy. To my horror it looks like / is LOADS of overspray!!! This was all over the window trim, B pillar, rear quarter window, windscreen and to a lesser degree the whole of the passenger side as well!!!! No wonder the paint felt so rough!! :rant:

clean4.JPG

Anyway, I clay barred the windows and pillars and got rid of virtually all of it, then gave the windows another glass spray inside and out.

Next up I gave the whole car a going over with Sonus SFX3 Final Finish polish, applied with a Megs sponge disc (this is all by hand as I dont trust myself with a polishing machine!).

The next coat was a Sonus SFX4 Paint Sealant - left each panel for about 10 minutes to cure before wiping off with a microfibre cloth. I didn't want to leave it on much longer as it was a bit too sunny and warm.

To finish up I gave it a coat of DoDo Juice Blue Velvet. After 4 hours work (and lots of muttering from the neighbours about how long i'd been at it) I was left with her looking gorgeously shiny! :cloud9:

By this time I was done I was knackered, so will be leaving the rim wax for in the week!

clean5.JPG

clean6.JPG

clean7.JPG

clean8.JPG

Thanks guys. Yep definately time well spent and I'll be treating myself to a few pints of wife beater later and a curry!

What I'm more p****d off about, is the fact that the jokers added £350 onto the cost of the car for that Smartguard stuff.

Clearly that's now been removed because I've been forced to clay the car to get the paint smooth again.

Where was the overspray from. there is No way it would have overspray from the factory. Either its been around a bar being resprayed or its had a panel repaired before you even got it. I would be asking the dealer if I were you?

Did the detailer use a PDG? If so they then might be able to spot which panel has had work

Where was the overspray from. There is No way it would have overspray from the factory. Either its been around a bar being resprayed or its had a panel repaired before you even got it. I would be asking the dealer if I were you?

Did the detailer use a PDG? If so they then might be able to spot which panel has had work

Definitely with Rob on this one. Unfortunately though, it's quite common for brand new cars to be dinged on the way to the showroom, by the salesman moving them around, even on the way from the factory to the UK or where ever. Even so, you should have little words to the dealership that flogged the car to you.

Get a PDG on that and make sure a panel hasnt been sprayed. No way it would have come like that from the factory. Dirty and swirled, yes, but not overspray. It could of course be from the smartguard they applied. Why anyone signs up for that stuff I do not know, you are far better off getting some decent wax/sealant and using that, about 1/10th of the cost and just as good. You can have 10yrs protection for the same price :bang:

Good work though, that car has come up lovely. :#1:

What I'm more p****d off about, is the fact that the jokers added £350 onto the cost of the car for that Smartguard stuff.

Clearly that's now been removed because I've been forced to clay the car to get the paint smooth again.

If I were you I'd be demanding my £350 back!

Oh heck...thought I was doing really well having ditched the Fairy Liquid and sponge since buying my zed...even bought him TWO buckets...!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Then I look at your sparkling beauty and read about your four hour marathon...PHEW!!!!!!!!!

METHINKS I NEED LESSONS...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(