supercharge..........

stuey

B4 you get too carried away, I think it says it accelerates from 80 to 180 km/h in 11.8s over a quarter mile. In the Z, to acheive an 11s standing quarter, the conventional wisdom is that you need approaching 500 rwhp

Thanks for that, it did seem *faaaast*.

Dont feel so desperate now....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest prescience
re-reading (well sort of) the pdf files I have about it, in the 380 package they include KW variant 3 suspension, Recaro Seats and Custom exhaust! wow sounds like a great deal to me!!!

Again be careful and check what you read, the suspension is an extra Swiss3660 (£1500) and the exhaust an extra Swiss4600 (£2000). There is also an annual tuning cost mentioned - whether that is mandatory for the warranty is not clear

Assuming not, for the complete 380 BHp plus exhaust plus suspension plus £500 miniumum costs to get there, you are looking at £10,500 and for 100 bhp that does not make good ecoomic sense to me

Edit-> in fact the base cost is 15900Swiss which is an extra £300

I like the bit in the lap times pdf where it shows how it stacks up, but in the price list to the left it notes in small writing

Price of Base Car € 33760 (£23000)

Price of Test Car € 88000 (£60000) :scare:

Guest prescience
Im glad you noticed, I was going to say a STANDING quarter should be achievable in under 15s for a zed. and much less in a CSL.

With the right tyres, Vortech's can run an upper mid to high 12 (12.6+) and APS TTs might just break into the 11s (usually low 12) with a very experienced driver and high tune

I think stock coupe's are mid to high thirteens aren't they mate?

True but stuck in traffic & town driving wouldn't the heat be MUCH higher?

I am by no means an expert but I question this statement, I am not saying you are wrong, I am just asking you (or anybody else) to explain it and help my own understanding.

I 100% accept that an SC engine undergoes more stress, and because it is producing more power will generate more heat than a non SC engine where everything else is equal.

However, when sat in traffic the SC will not be generating any boost and the engine will not be working hard so the thermal load being generated at that instant will not be that high. Is that fair?

Suppose you reach the back of this traffic queue after a fast blast then the engine will have be running hot and will have a shedload (technical term) of heat to dissipate. This is nothing though compared to a turbo though, as the SC is belt driven of the front of the engine and whilst this does raise the temperature of the air being compressed this is nothing like the heat from a turbo being driven by exhaust gases.

Also the turbo is a restrictor in the exhaust. Exhaust gases, apart from being waste carry heat away from the engine. In an SC car these hot gases can exit the engine as rapidly as your zorst will allow. In a turbo they still have to flow through the turbo which soaks up some of the heat and retains it in the engine bay even if you are off boost.

As I said this drivel looks like a statement, but I do mean it to be a question, its just my thoughts. Or am I talking bollox? Discuss......

Also, Val, whats this about an on off button? Is there some kind of clutch so I can turn the SC off? If so I want it! Think I may combine next summers european tour you are organising with a trip to Switzerland if thats true.... :yahoo:

Dunno mate, you know more than me by the looks of things. Tbh I know the sum total of nothing on this topic, actually thats unfair - I know it aint cheap but it makes the Z quick! Just sticking around cos I'm interested to learn :teeth:

Dunno mate, you know more than me by the looks of things. Tbh I know the sum total of nothing on this topic, actually thats unfair - I know it aint cheap but it makes the Z quick! Just sticking around cos I'm interested to learn :teeth:

Dont do yourself down m8, was just hoping Prescience or Baptist would chip in to clear it up, I doubt I know any more than you.....

I want a simple answer to extra power but I also want it safe (for the engine I mean). If SC is a safer option that delivers 80 - 90% of what I might expect from a turbo then thats probably the route for me...

I am very tempted with the idea of something I can turn on and off at will though. Previously (think it was Baptisit) it was suggested that I just back off the gas but there are times (rain, snow etc) when it might be a good idea for the car to deliver less than its full potential! :scare:

Guest prescience

Most of what you say above I agree with; a turbo will certainly generate more heat than a S/C - aside from the above, the rotation rates are so much higher.

My question with the Novidem, apart from it being very expensive (as I found out from examining the specs in detail) is that I would want to see a long history of successful usage.

All, I repeat all, the major FI kits for this car have had issues which have been found out ..

Procharger - prone to blowing motors -> need a separate EMS; snaps belts

APS TT - had a CAS wire issue (related to a unichip and EMI) and seems susceptible to a good tune

Vortech - dangerous fuel lines leading to them blowing off; sorted by high quality fuel lines (as mine has)

GReddy - tuner kit originally and blow motors as a result; complete package now available

Stillen - snaps belts regularly; prone to heat soak

so I would strongly suspect that despite all the great testing that Novidem will do; there will be something to be found out - and I wouldn't want to be doing that

I am also concerned about the magnetic switch - seems like a potential single point of failure to me (ie if it fails to operate correctly on engages incorrectly, it could lead to problems). This is speculation on my part and I would want to look at the engineering behind it - not the glossy brochure - to satisfy myself

Guest prescience

The 2 leaders in the field are IMO and based on stats and issues over the past 18 months:

=APS for Twin Turbo

= Vortech for Supercharger

I would've gone APS if G-Force hadn't tried to have me over a year ago now - but conversely, I would not know be in a position to say, 'I can strip my FI kit off my car and sell separately'

Thanks for the comments prescience, didnt know there had been so many issues! :scare:

Most of my research had been based on the APS kit, but I have been put off somewhat by the lack of UK support and the tuning scare stories. As a result I felt that SC might be a safer bolt on option.......

but I guess I have to accept the risks with any solution of wanting more performance...

wow Val, you are soooo right, just reading that article in my bad french.

It seems its a system they previously fitted to a Golf R32 where the compressor cut in under command from accelerator position, but this time they have now fitted an on/off button in the Zed centre console giving up to 100HP extra at the flick of a switch.

I think its saying that for safety reasons its not possible to engage it whilst the engine is already above 4500 rpm.

When in traffic, flick it off for economic driving and docile performance.

Their roadster did an 11.8s standing quarter compared to 16.4s for an M3 CSL and 17+ for an originl Zed!!! :scare:

Looks like it might be just what I am after!

How am I going to justify this..... :cry:

B4 you get too carried away, I think it says it accelerates from 80 to 180 km/h in 11.8s over a quarter mile. In the Z, to acheive an 11s standing quarter, the conventional wisdom is that you need approaching 500 rwhp

yeah can't be from standing :)

Again be careful and check what you read, the suspension is an extra Swiss3660 (£1500) and the exhaust an extra Swiss4600 (£2000). There is also an annual tuning cost mentioned - whether that is mandatory for the warranty is not clear

not sure if those articles are older than the brochure there, but from the brochure (the one file of 1.4mb) they don't mention those things as extras, in fact the mention other bits as accessries? think the only way to find out what the real prices are and what's included is to ring them or email them :)

Assuming not, for the complete 380 BHp plus exhaust plus suspension plus £500 miniumum costs to get there, you are looking at £10,500 and for 100 bhp that does not make good ecoomic sense to me

Edit-> in fact the base cost is 15900Swiss which is an extra £300

I like the bit in the lap times pdf where it shows how it stacks up, but in the price list to the left it notes in small writing

Price of Base Car € 33760 (£23000)

Price of Test Car € 88000 (£60000) :scare:

don't forget that those options are offered by Nissan dealers over there.... so prices might relate to those? as I sd before only way to know will be to ask them :)

Im glad you noticed, I was going to say a STANDING quarter should be achievable in under 15s for a zed. and much less in a CSL.

With the right tyres, Vortech's can run an upper mid to high 12 (12.6+) and APS TTs might just break into the 11s (usually low 12) with a very experienced driver and high tune

I think stock coupe's are mid to high thirteens aren't they mate?

you wish. I have never seen a UK Z on the strip going below 13.8 (std tyres but Stillen SC) and 13.5 for the Pink Z (albeit drift spec)

US numbers are closer to what you say, but I've never seen them in the UK.

Also 1/4 miles can be affected by many factors, altitude and surface are just 2 of many

• 1 month later...

I typed out a huge reply to this thread at 10:45 am and then the power in Brighton went off for two hours.

And yes, I have a UPS, but no, my router wasn't attached to it :grrrr:

Anyway. In a nutshell: My 2nd hand Vortech no problems, Novidem clutch technlogoy used on Blitz kits for 8 years, Recommend Vortech anyway, Val getting married is no excuse - my sc was fitted while I was on honeymoon, perfect time for a ridiculous expense (as that's what a wedding is), 0-60 times will kill your clutch anyway, so factor that cost in if you will do lots of standing starts.

Whew

Stephen