Thinking of a Zed

Yes its a monster, but I have to have a commuting car so I don't have room for it on the drive. That means it gets left at my parents house so it never really gets used. I need something I can commute in and have fun in which means getting rid of both cars.

How are the 350's economy wise? Is 30mpg a feasible target if driven carefully? What are they like on a 'spirited' drive?

:welcome:

Hi, economy wise 30mpg is attainable but only if you're cruising on the motorway most of the time. Any town / city / spirited driving is going to cause the mpg to fall off pretty rapidly. I bought my car in Preston and drove it back to Ayr doing a steady 70 all the way home. I checked the mpg and was astonished to see it at 33! It quickly decreased to around 26 and now usually sits around 24 and to be honest I drive slow compared to most! Good luck with finding the right car for you.

PS Love your RX-7! :thumbs:

Hi All

Your choice seems similar to mine when I got the Z. I came from an E46 330cd, and was seriously considering a Boxster, and toying a little with an S2000 also. I also was thinking of an RX8, and and Alfa Brera. I did a big comparison of the RX8 and 350z (with some BMW notes thrown in) a few times recently, so search my name if you want more info.

All I can do is give you some reactions and opinions. But bear in mind, I am not a convertible sort of guy. Although I am softening on that one.

First, I was pretty set on the Box, but absolutely noone gave me any positive feedback on that one - the general opinion was w*nk*rs car. Now, whether or not that should or should not be important, it does tend to make one sit and think. Plus, they are very common these days, and fundamentally glad I didn't buy one now. That's not to say a 911 is not being considered down the track as my next step....

Then again, if you are married and don't give a toss what anyone thinks (nor should you, but I am still single so...) this may not be important to you. I never drove one so have no opinion on that, but I do still love Porsches.

In terms of the E46, I've gone over that before, check out my other posts. The 330cd is a different drive to the M3 for sure, not as epically fast off the line, but it ain't far off, and I have to say both are awesome cars. Different to the Z though

Regarding the S2000 though, I had a conversation with a pal last week who is a car nut = the king of the long term test! He has had both 350Z and S2000 on long term tests, and told me they were completely different beasts. The S2000 is a high-rev monster, and if that's your kind of thing, then you really should check it out. There are plenty of guys on here who have moved both ways (erm...) so I reckon there's loads of info waiting in the forums for you. I do regret a tiny bit not giving the S2000 more serious thinking time, but then again I did hear the insurance was higher, and since my 330 had been nicked, that was a bit of an issue.

Regarding mileage. This I can offer some good info on. Coming from a diesel, which did 40mpg on my commute through the snarl of Birmingham, and 60 on the motorway, the Z was a shock. Thus, I take it seriously, and record it (geek alert). I average on a combined cycle which involves some motorway miles, and a 14 mile commute through the city, 23MPG. I don't hammer it, but I don't pootle either. This has been consistent as long as I have owned it. This is made up of about 30-34mpg on the motorway, where I tend to go at 80-90 (officer) and not thrash it overtaking etc, and about 18 in the urban cycle. So I think a combined over 25 is optimistic. It costs me 23p a mile in petrol.

This may be a bearing on your decision, and I have to say I was a little surprised. Even so, I find the experience is worth it.

Cheers, good luck, and I hope you are happy with whatever decision you make.

:-)n

Well I have agreed to buy a zed. I test drove the car last night and I was in love straight away. Car is a 350z roadster, 05 36k, full GT pack with Sat Nav + Rays wheels. Other than that totally standard. I was surprised how good the stock exhaust sounds and it is a lovely smooth torquey engine, but that is nothing compared to the taut body and fantastic handling. The car is very comfy for my 6'4" bulk, the sound system sounds great (ghetto ipod mods here we come) and the car itself is in great condition. I didn't like the look of the roadster particularly the back, but in the flesh it looks great. Can't wait to pick it up on Friday agghhhhh too long!

Well I got the car today.

Drove home and fitted the pop charger straight away. I could barely hear the engine on the drive home. Its so quiet with the stock intake but still fruity when you boot it. With the pop charger fitted it sounds totally awesome, lovely NA sound, I'm in love.

I have taken the car for some spirited drives today around the local country lanes. Its a brilliant car, I am so happy with my choice. Apart from a very quiet clicking under acceleration and deceleration the car seems perfect and the price was very good.

The car is incredibly rigid for a rag top, reminds me of an S2k a little but has a lot more torque. Fantastic fun to hustle. Standard brakes are as usual with brembo flipping shite but a set of hardcore pads should fix that. I did a little cruising in 6th gear at 40-60mph and fuel economy is pretty damn reasonable too. Great car, not too ott, just right.