Driver's window won't go up (intermittent)

Corrado

Hi,

I've got a problem with the driver's window staying down intermittently.

It did it a few weeks ago for the first time. When I puuled the switch nothing happened, so I checked the fuse but that was fine. The next morning it worked perfectly and has done ever since, until yesterday. Then the same problem, the window refusing to go up when I parked. An hour later I droven the car and the window worked fine, so i'm wondering if it's a lose connection which moved as the car was driven?

Having just checked the maintenance history which came with the car, it had the same problem in October 2008, and was repaired at the Main Agent in Aldershot, the invoice reads:

OSF Window won't go up. Removed door panel, traced fault to internal failure of door window motor, replaced motor, all now working OK. Checked regulator and cables all OK.

Given that the motor is less than 2 years old and hasn't had hard use, I'm guessing it won't be that (and possibly wasn't the problem 2 years ago either!!). Does this point to the door swicth itself, or are there any other connections or common faults I should be checking?

Regards,

Phil

Hey mate When I did mine I noticed the brushes weren't particularly worn just things springs that keep them in contact with the shaft are a bit pony so was losing contact every so often.

I found that sometimes I would wind my window down say half way. Stop then it wouldn't move unless I manually pushed the glass down, it would move about an inch and then start moving again. If it stopped working right at the bottom it was a right PITA to get back up!

Since resetting the brush position I've not had any problems. I'm sure it will come back at some stage tho which will result in it needing doing again or new brushes. This might also have been what was up with your original motor?

Cheers

Steve

• 11 months later...

Having lived with the intermittent problem for 12 months, the window motor finally stopped working totally, forcing me to do something.

The reciept from the previous owner from West Way Nissan Aldershot had scared me off doing anything before:

21/10/2008, Mileage 24,808

- N8731CD001 Motor Assy Regu £341.38

- N28891CD706 Blade Assy-wind £ 29.78

- N28890AL515 Blade Assy-wind £ 13.27

- N288900X800 Blade Assi-wind £ 5.65

- Fitting £ 74.00

======

£464.08 + VAT = £545.29

Given that my first post on here about the problem was 4/06/10 the motor only worked correctly for 20 months. Even today my car's only done 38,500 miles - just 14k since the motor was fitted, and apart from it's door shutting sequence I rarely use the window so it hasn't been over used. :thumbdown:

Anyway, having had my rant about Nissan's clear design / production quality problem with this motor which enthusiasts shouldn't be having to pay for, something slightly more positive:

Alex supplied me a replacement motor for £189 and I used the following how-to guide:

www.nicoclub.com/archives/350Z-door-dis ... ement.html

The pictures didn't come-up on this web-link, but the text explaination was very clear and easy to follow. It was just a case of taking your time and being careful.

You don't actually need to disconnect the door handle/lock cables as it suggests in this guide, I just carefully supported the door card on a box and left these cables attached.

My motor had stopped working in the fully-up position, and the square drive shaft of the new motor slotted straight-in in this position without the need for rotating the motor as mention in the guide. Not sure if I was just lucky, or whether having the window up to start with helps.

No other adjustment or resetting was needed, I just reassembled the door card, plugged-in the loom, and it all worked perfectly first time. I gave all the mechanicals a good spray of WD-40 while I was in there.

Total job time was just over an hour. :thumbs:

Still not right that a car with just 38.5k on the clock should have had a total of £734 spent on it just to make it's window go up-&-down.... .....but on the bright-side it's a sunny evening, so I can get the window down and listen to the 6-pot sound track!

Good luck if you have a go!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really know much about motors, so this may be a completely stupid question, but does anyone know if this problem occurs more on windows which aren't used much?

I use my windows very infrequently (relying on air con in the summer) so the motor is only moving it up-&-down a fraction every time the door opens/closes.

Would it be better for the motor to be fully cycled (window fully up-&-down) more frequently? :wacko: