How to - Spark plug change (VQ35DE)

Emperor Ming

The plugs I took out WERE iridium tipped plugs. I checked them yesterday and it says Iridium on the white porcelain piece.

I put platinum plugs in because the manual said platinum plugs. So did all the sites that sell plugs. So I put them in!!!!!

I dont know why mine had iridium plugs in as it has only done 22,000 miles and as such would not have had a plug change! :headhurt:

Hope this helps

Ming the Puzzled

The plugs I took out WERE iridium tipped plugs. I checked them yesterday and it says Iridium on the white porcelain piece.

I put platinum plugs in because the manual said platinum plugs. So did all the sites that sell plugs. So I put them in!!!!!

I dont know why mine had iridium plugs in as it has only done 22,000 miles and as such would not have had a plug change! :headhurt:

Hope this helps

Ming the Puzzled

since it's an import God knowns what those Japs did to it, your car will have had some sort of FI on it where Iridium plugs are needed, then taken the blower off to sell it: basically it'll blow up soon mate ;):lol:

Hope this helps

Ming the Puzzled

since it's an import God knowns what those Japs did to it, your car will have had some sort of FI on it where Iridium plugs are needed, then taken the blower off to sell it: basically it'll blow up soon mate ;):lol:

Thanks for that mate.

I fell so much better for that bit of information.

I hope your next SH*T is a hedgehog :p

Ming the Happy

• Like 1

Good line :lol:

But in fact your seller was well informed and used the best plugs in your car B)

Shame you downgraded to platinum - :thumbdown:

NEW platinum has got to be better than 20,000 mile old iridium.

I also have the iridium in th garage should i ever need them - NOT.

For the sake of £50 I would change them back to iridium if I ever thought that it would make a difference but since MOST of the time I drive like a granny I guess it wont!!

Ming the Sharp Spark

• 2 years later...

Just used this helpful guide to change my plugs there (thanks to author!), and I thought I'd note that the plugs removed from my car were Platinum too, and my car is a 53-reg, UK car, which has just hit 55k miles (so presume no spark plug change previously..?). Perhaps both types are legitimate replacements... Replaced mine with Denso Iridium's of course ;)

Ross

Ps. - For anybody doing this job, just make sure you have at least a 6" extension available to hand (now now..) as the plugs are located pretty deep.

• 1 month later...

I swapped out my spark plugs today and this guide came in very useful :thumbs: It wasnt exactly hard to do, but as previously said, it is time consuming, and i hadnt done it before (probably wont do it again either lol). I put NGK Iridium XI's in, and it certainly feels better throughout the rev range, just a whole lot smoother in general. The ones i took out had 60k on them, and were looking very worse for wear! So glad i took the time to do itmyself and not pay a dealer or something. It's a worth while job IMO.

• 10 months later...

Great guide, but got slightly confused as to whether NGK actually offer an Iridium plug?

The NGK platinium plug reference is PLFR5A-11 and so from the NGK code table an Iridium plug (if it exists) should be ILFR5A-11.

My local motor factor can't find this listing. Does anyone know if NGK do offer an Iridium for the 350Z - I know DENSO do, thanks.

• 5 months later...

Did the change on Saturday. NGK's came out...Not sure if were OEM. Put Denso's tough items in.

Really useful guide, only two words of advice, mark up strut brace bolt position with a pen prior to undoing tie nut and remove the coil pack wire harness bolt at the end of the right hand cylinder bank, makes it a simple to fit then.

I also only used a spark socket with the rubber insert in for removal and seating the new plugs.

Always tighten with a none rubber socket...Just in case..

Cheers for another easy fit, saving a fair wack of cash over a main dealer.

:D

• 1 year later...

Woo, just done this thanks to the guide, works well and car seems to be running much smoother! having a well earned tea and chocolate break then off to see if it has made a difference. The plugs i pulled out were screwed platinums, and replaced with fresh new denso irridiums

• 1 month later...

HELP PLEASE! :surrender:

Excellent guide, and have successfully used it to change 5 of my plugs to Denso Iridiums (from ZMANALEX, of course!), however I can't get to the sixth! It's a 2003 engine with the intake on the RHS (as you look from the front), but it's the rear coil pack on the left-hand-side that I can't get to. There's a wiring loom in a plastic cover bracket which sits over the top of the coil pack, and for the life of me I can't get it out of the way!! Looks like the plastic loom cover is slotted on to the end of a steel bracket, which is then bolted to the engine side cover. I tried to pull it off the end of the metal bracket, but it's stuck solid.....

Any ideas?! Any help much appreciated!! :thumbs:

HELP PLEASE! :surrender:

Excellent guide, and have successfully used it to change 5 of my plugs to Denso Iridiums (from ZMANALEX, of course!), however I can't get to the sixth! It's a 2003 engine with the intake on the RHS (as you look from the front), but it's the rear coil pack on the left-hand-side that I can't get to. There's a wiring loom in a plastic cover bracket which sits over the top of the coil pack, and for the life of me I can't get it out of the way!! Looks like the plastic loom cover is slotted on to the end of a steel bracket, which is then bolted to the engine side cover. I tried to pull it off the end of the metal bracket, but it's stuck solid.....

Any ideas?! Any help much appreciated!! :thumbs:

Can't help you on this but have a BUMP to see if others can ;)

:bounce::bounce:

• 2 months later...

Is a torque wrench really necessary for changing the plugs?

Have all the bit except one of those

Not really, as long as you dont over tighten them. Its just a precauctionary measure really so you dont do them up too tight and ring the threads off in the head. Personally ive never used a torque wrench for doing plugs, but do use it for a lot of other stuff.

Slightly off topic but has any one seen the size of the oil filter. :scare::scare:

Looks like it belongs on a honda 50 moped :teeth:

I have had 1300 cc cars with bigger filters MUCH bigger filters.

Mine gonna get changed OFTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ming the now VERY cautious

I think I'm right in saying that the Micra uses the same filter. :scare::)

You are... its part number 15208-9F600 and seems to fit loads of Nissans, incl Micra, Note, X Trail, etc... as well as the 350z!

I too was well supprised when I saw it. The one on my missus`s Peugeot 307 is easily twice the size of it!!!

Slightly off topic but has any one seen the size of the oil filter. :scare::scare:

Looks like it belongs on a honda 50 moped :teeth:

I have had 1300 cc cars with bigger filters MUCH bigger filters.

Mine gonna get changed OFTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ming the now VERY cautious

I think I'm right in saying that the Micra uses the same filter. :scare::)

You are... its part number 15208-9F600 and seems to fit loads of Nissans, incl Micra, Note, X Trail, etc... as well as the 350z!

I too was well supprised when I saw it. The one on my missus`s Peugeot 307 is easily twice the size of it!!!

Handy in one manner though, if you own more than one Nissan, can buy a few at a time. :thumbs:

• 4 months later...

Thanks for an excellent guide which gave me the confidence to tackle the job myself, I was quoted £248 by Nissan but bought iridium plugs from Zmanalex for £49.95 and so saved a packet :)

I was reluctant to adjust the tension on the strut brace but managed to complete the job without removing the brace, this made the front right plug slighty more awkward to access but it was by no means impossible.

I'm now ready to tackle the accessory belts, faulty washer pump etc :boxing:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...