Hi!!!

hi Nick

Cool name by the way ;-)

I had a 330cd before my Z. They aren't really comparable in 'feel'. I went from a Ford Puma to the 330, and that was a huge jump in feel. The Puma was sporty and nippy, but the BMW was a rocket ship in comparison. Particularly on the motorway, the in-gear acceleration say from 60-90 was awesome. I am not sure anything not exotic could touch it if you floored it at the national speed limit! My mate had a 330CI and it was a touch quicker from standstill, but not as quick in-gear.

Anyway, getting into the Z was another step up in feel. All of a sudden I felt I was in a proper sports car. The driving position, the dash, the raw feel, and the noise. All completely different, and made you feel you were driving something special. The BM was massively 'competent' and nothing could shake it up, but at the same time it didn't feel especially involving - in hindsight. In the Z, you feel like a driver, someone who needs skill to get the best out of it. I never felt I could screw up in the BM, no matter what the conditions. The first long drive I had in the Z was Newark to Bham in the torrential rain. I bricked it all the way. It felt like you needed skill, and it demanded respect. I am still learning now, and to me that is the mark of a real sports car, not a sanitised 'pretend' one - like the Mini on that damn bank advert.

In terms of practicallity, the BM was incredibly frugal on fuel. It was a massive shock to the system. I get around 20 in town, but 30-35 on the motorway, in the Z. The boot is ok actually, but the coat hooks are stupid and its a pain in the ass to try to hand a decent jacket up. Hey, I wear suits, it's important!

The cabin is not as classy as the BM, but the seats are better, and the driving position is also better. The dash is cool. The stereo is not as good, and can't have an ipod link plugged in, unlike the BM. This sucks. If you have the GT pack as I do, you won't miss any of the gadgets in the BMW I guess. I don't.

All in all, if I was only running one car, my life would suggest I bought another BMW after my last one got nicked. But since I have a shed of a Mondeo now, the 350Z is by far the better car in terms of the driving experience and all round hero-feeling.

Plus, I have to admit I was surprised by the attention it attracts. I hardly got any attention in the BMW, there are loads. Now, I get a lot of attention. That can be good or bad, whatever you like. I haven't experiened any badge snobbery - less than when I had the BM thats for sure.

Oh, and did I mention that my female friends call it 'the magnet'?

Enjoy it mate, you know it makes sense.

nick

Welcome,best colour.

Actually I always had in mind a blue or black one but really grown to love this colour, really different! My BMW's black and I can't keep it clean for 5 minutes!

hi and welcome.

blue was my first choice but sunset does stand out in a crowd.

Hi nickzzz and welcome, i'm sure theres a thread on here somewhere that has proved Sunsets are 10% faster than all other colours! :p

hi Nick

Cool name by the way ;-)

I had a 330cd before my Z. They aren't really comparable in 'feel'. I went from a Ford Puma to the 330, and that was a huge jump in feel. The Puma was sporty and nippy, but the BMW was a rocket ship in comparison. Particularly on the motorway, the in-gear acceleration say from 60-90 was awesome. I am not sure anything not exotic could touch it if you floored it at the national speed limit! My mate had a 330CI and it was a touch quicker from standstill, but not as quick in-gear.

Anyway, getting into the Z was another step up in feel. All of a sudden I felt I was in a proper sports car. The driving position, the dash, the raw feel, and the noise. All completely different, and made you feel you were driving something special. The BM was massively 'competent' and nothing could shake it up, but at the same time it didn't feel especially involving - in hindsight. In the Z, you feel like a driver, someone who needs skill to get the best out of it. I never felt I could screw up in the BM, no matter what the conditions. The first long drive I had in the Z was Newark to Bham in the torrential rain. I bricked it all the way. It felt like you needed skill, and it demanded respect. I am still learning now, and to me that is the mark of a real sports car, not a sanitised 'pretend' one - like the Mini on that damn bank advert.

In terms of practicallity, the BM was incredibly frugal on fuel. It was a massive shock to the system. I get around 20 in town, but 30-35 on the motorway, in the Z. The boot is ok actually, but the coat hooks are stupid and its a pain in the ass to try to hand a decent jacket up. Hey, I wear suits, it's important!

The cabin is not as classy as the BM, but the seats are better, and the driving position is also better. The dash is cool. The stereo is not as good, and can't have an ipod link plugged in, unlike the BM. This sucks. If you have the GT pack as I do, you won't miss any of the gadgets in the BMW I guess. I don't.

All in all, if I was only running one car, my life would suggest I bought another BMW after my last one got nicked. But since I have a shed of a Mondeo now, the 350Z is by far the better car in terms of the driving experience and all round hero-feeling.

Plus, I have to admit I was surprised by the attention it attracts. I hardly got any attention in the BMW, there are loads. Now, I get a lot of attention. That can be good or bad, whatever you like. I haven't experiened any badge snobbery - less than when I had the BM thats for sure.

Oh, and did I mention that my female friends call it 'the magnet'?

Enjoy it mate, you know it makes sense.

nick

Thats really weird! I went from a Puma to my 330ci (and hopefully to a 350Z!!) Must be a Nick thing!!!

Totally agree with you that the BMW is a really competent car but just not as exciting as it could be. Its brilliant on a long trip but when you hit the B roads it could do with being a bit more involving.

Loved my Puma, it was a surprisingly quick car which I loved blasting down the local country roads in. Surprised some quicker cars sometimes!!

Made quite a good noise I thought too! Rust was the problem with Pumas though.

At the moment I'm totally sold on the 350, shame it doesn't have back seats but sure I'll cope, don't use mine that much anyway.

Also I think your right bought women liking them, its one of the few cars my girlfriend likes that I do too. I did want an M3 for a bit and she didn't see difference between that and the 330ci (running costs in a big way is one!)

Yup my GF is the same, I looked at alsorts but she adores the zed, plus she'll never drive it because the thought of it scares the bejeezus out of her :lol: winner! :yahoo:

Sounds bout the same here. She won't drive my BMW cos its too powerful but reckons she might like to drive the Z! :shrug:

Seems to be a few Nicks in the Z world!!!

Hi Guys

thanks for the kind words! I am a writer so it comes easy to be honest. Always wanted to be a car or music writer, but sadly never did - this is the next best thing!

Anyway, short comment to agree - I also found it damn strange that so many people have commented on the Z when in 'reality' the BMW is the more 'desirable' car in many ways - particularly with regard to badging etc.

I think, as car guys (and girls) we forget that most of the population have no idea about cars or even car marques at all. They see, they ride, they like. If they even care at all. So to them, the fact that it is a 'mere Nissan' makes no difference. It looks cool, it sounds cool, and it pushes all the right buttons. Whereas to them a BMW - even a new M3 - is just the same thing they see all the time.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread there - someone please move the post if they want - just responding to earlier comments.

N

well i test drove the car last night and i loved it! So i'm going to go for it. Was really impressed with the way it drove and it felt rock solid. Rear visibility is pretty awful but i drive a van with no back windows regularly. It has the bose hifi, rays wheels and the orange leather, does th

at make it a gt pack?

Not sure when i can pick it up yet, its getting checked over at dealer, stone chip on bonnet sorted etc. I'm getting a 1 year warranty as well which is nice!

Ps i assume bonnet is aluminium as stonechip had no rust&bonnet felt light!

Can't wait!!!

Welcome to the Club Nick......we're a friendly bunch and there's some guys on here that know just about as much as you would ever need to know about the Zed!!!

Enjoy the new ride :)