High Rev Harshness

nbs

Apologise if this has been covered before. But what is the reason for the harshness/vibration at high revs? It makes you not want to there. but that's where to power is. Is there a cure?

Its just the way it is, and the stock exhaust is too quiet which makes it much worse. The 350z was the same top end, just it didnt rev as high. Nice exhaust and intake makes a world of difference to the sound :thumbs:

Not talking about the exhaust noise, I have a Fast Intentions cat back which is suberb, but the actual engine there is a harsh vibration, like its all out of balance.

Yup. VQ engines have always been noted as being harsh top end. Not helping the matter is the VQ37VHR revs even higher and is more harsh. Saying that, its not normally noticed as a vibration, more the engine sounds harsh hence my comments about a new exhaust. Maybe you should take it for a quick once over at the dealers? Unfortunately I cant rev mine that high just yet, still under 1k miles. Colin (Ebized) or Mat should be able to confirm as they have more miles on theirs.

Not talking about the exhaust noise, I have a Fast Intentions cat back which is suberb, but the actual engine there is a harsh vibration, like its all out of balance.

Yup. VQ engines have always been noted as being harsh top end. Not helping the matter is the VQ37VHR revs even higher and is more harsh. Saying that, its not normally noticed as a vibration, more the engine sounds harsh hence my comments about a new exhaust. Maybe you should take it for a quick once over at the dealers? Unfortunately I cant rev mine that high just yet, still under 1k miles. Colin (Ebized) or Mat should be able to confirm as they have more miles on theirs.

Can't say that I find the engine 'harsh' at high revs but then again, as Chris says, with the Stillen cat-back exhaust I had fitted with just 250 miles on the clock I have not heard it as standard. But going back to when I got to drove the fully run-in 370 examples at Silverstone with the standard exhaust systems, I can't say I was aware of undue harshness then - ah - just rembered had the crash helmet on :doh::lol:

Having given mine some beans around Wales recently it is truly a step up from the 350 :thumbs: And it is nice to have some great torque in the mid range which makes overtaking when cruising effortless - even more so than with the 276 or 296 350's and they, as everyone on here who has a 350 knows, are no slouches in that department :D

The MY07 engines were lovely and smooth at high revs - far better than the earlier 350Z engines. A couple of the mags had suggested the 370Z engine wasn't as good but this is the first owner feedback I've seen on the issue.

When I say harsh, I dont mean it feels harsh, its the sound of it with the stock exhaust. Every review I've ever remember reading says that the engine sounds harsh at top end and I have to agree - although I've never been in a 313 giving it proper beans. As soon as you put an aftermarket exhaust on though, it goes away. A harsh feeling rather than sound to the motor doesnt seem right at all.

• 4 weeks later...