Osiris Tuner, ROMs and Logs

Steve Watts

I agree a constant load/rpm dyno session will find a peak torque or bhp quicker (and maybe even higher ones) than tuning on the road, especially the ignition timing. However if you have the time, interest and a methodical approach it can be done - what you give up in accuracy of power measurement you gain in tuning under actual road conditions, dynamic engine loads, real coolant and intake temps etc. My view is if I cannot measure the difference in performance on the road it is not worth tuning for it, although I understand alot of people ultimate numbers are important.

While i wholeheartedly agree with that statement Steve, as i tuned my Supra on the road, and it made what felt like pretty good power and torque, around 500bhp and 480ftlb, the guy who bought it from me had it re tuned by a fairly well known tuner on the dyno and made around another 20BHP and 25ftlb of torque, which surprised me.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work with the Supra, turbos can be a bit different as the extent to which you can tune a forced induction engine is generally limited by safety, there will be a combination of afr and ignition timing to give best performance but generally you can make more power right up until you detonate. With na you often find best torque before encountering knock. I would expect to get with in a 1% (3hp) of optimal given enough time, realistically I might get bored before then.

The fuel corrections are typically between 96-104, although I have seen 93-108 immediately after a new map and reset of the learned fuel.

So a little time tweaking the compensdation map will get you hitting the template AFR quicker , also your find the stock injector latency to be a mile out so this will slow the time for the car to hit the template AFR. Try disconnecting the lambda sensors and map in open loop far better to understand what the car is doing in relation to using the fuel.

I am sorry but tuning on the road isn't for me , I feel after over 15 years tuning cars some on

the road but mostly on a dyno you cant beat dyno tuning , the car will use the same point on the maps you can check this on the 350Z ecu by logging load figure , it is the same road/dyno , you can try all the AFR,s to get the best for the car your tuning not all the same model cars like the same AFR and then you can work the cam/s to get best cylinder filling at all RPMs/loads.

Igntion timing, your correct they make best torque before you hear det but not by far , but you can tune the motor rich and run more timing or lean and less timing and get the same results.

Mark