Roadster roof damage – warranty declined a claim

felex6

Okay, so dealer called back last week and booked my car in for them to take a look at the damaged roof strut this morning.

I get there early doors - a good 1hr 30mins drive from my house, costing me about £40 in petrol for the return trip. I point the roof problem out to the service guy, he can clearly see the damage. I also mentioned about a couple of rubbing marks on the hood which look like its catching on something as part of the operation.

I was expecting them to basically say yes or no to replacing the damaged roof strut, then booking me in to have it fitted the following week.

But instead, the mechanic comes out, starts the car up and drives it into the workshop. Quite why it needs to be in a workshop im not sure. The part is not repairable, its just a case of identifying which bit they need to replace surely? You can clearly see this from just looking through the door.

After a bit the service guy gets some feedback from the mechanics and tells me that the strut is a "piece of interior trim" so not covered by warranty and doesnt affect how the hood works. I explain my research on the net, that this is not a bit of trim, its the part of the roof and looks like its under tension when the roof opens which is why its started breaking. So, if it breaks fully then the roof will end up not opening. He goes off to update the mechanics.

2hrs later im getting worried as to whats going on. I also notice 3 or 4 mechanics all huddled around my car with the bonnet open looking confused. Immediately im wondering why the bonnet is open when they should be looking at the roof and why is it taking 2 hours.

Anyway, the next update from the service guy is that the roof on my car is not working at all now, its now broken, they dont know whats up with it, but are looking at it and have their top mechanic on it. I have a look at my car in the workshop and its starting to look like its in a chop shop, they had all the inside of the boot stripped out, the glove box, seats forward, bits everywhere.

In all fairness the service guy was a very nice bloke and didnt mess about, he immediately appologised and gave me the keys to a brand new 370z roadster and said I can use that until they fix my car. They dont know how many days its likely to be yet.

So, I still dont know if they will actually fix the problem I went in there for, first of all they have to try and find out what the new problem is and fix that! At least I have a 370z to play with in the meantime.

Sigh!

.... gave me the keys to a brand new 370z roadster and said I can use that until they fix my car.

Get that in writing.

Given Nissans apparent lack of interest (and ability) in fixing anything remotely connected to the roof, nevermind individual dealerships, it sounds like you've just pulled off the swap of the century.

.... gave me the keys to a brand new 370z roadster and said I can use that until they fix my car.

Get that in writing.

Given Nissans apparent lack of interest (and ability) in fixing anything remotely connected to the roof, nevermind individual dealerships, it sounds like you've just pulled off the swap of the century.

Ah, I wish.

Service guy just phoned and said they have got the hood working again. Apparently it just needed "re-alligning". Not entirely sure why it would suddently need "re-alligning" out of the blue. They have also fixed the broken roof strut by drilling holes in it and rivitting the broken piece back on. Hmm... not my ideal fix.

So now ive got to arrange to travel the 150mile round trip again and swap cars back, depending on if my boss will let me have another morning off work!

Still, I get to play with the 370 for a bit more. Have to say im not that impressed with the performance of it compared to my 350. The 350 definately feels quicker. The 370 does have loads of nice little touches which I already had on a list of things id like the 350 to have... like the speedcamera satnav, passenger window auto down, indicator ticks 3 times when you touch it gently, bluetooth in a roadster, paddleshift, a better trip computer. But the biggest bit i hate is the wind buffering inside with the roof down. Omg! My 350 has none, but the 370 I feel like my head is about to be torn off, even with the windows up.

They have also fixed the broken roof strut by drilling holes in it and rivitting the broken piece back on. Hmm... not my ideal fix.

That sounds a bit fishy. Surely a broken part should either be replaced or repaired without any visual detrement. Getting inside a car to see heath robinson rivets on broken roof struts is not what I would consider acceptable at all. Then again I am a picky sod.

They have also fixed the broken roof strut by drilling holes in it and rivitting the broken piece back on. Hmm... not my ideal fix.

That sounds a bit fishy. Surely a broken part should either be replaced or repaired without any visual detrement. Getting inside a car to see heath robinson rivets on broken roof struts is not what I would consider acceptable at all. Then again I am a picky sod.

I will inspect it and see what they have done. Like you, I want it to be as good as possible.

I can see why they have done it, apparently you cant just buy the broken part, you have to buy a whole hood. And the cost of a whole hood isnt something Nissan want to fork out for.

If this repair looks a bit dodgy then I wont be a happy bunny.

drilled and rivetted, **** that. I wouldnt even make the trip. ask for pictures of it first then send them to nissan HQ and a solicitor. how is that safe, say you take it on the track to 150mph and the roof snaps off?

I can see why they have done it, apparently you cant just buy the broken part, you have to buy a whole hood. And the cost of a whole hood isnt something Nissan want to fork out for.

If you listen carefully you may be able to hear the worlds smallest violin playing.

Nissan should either be able to supply these parts individually or be prepared to fork out the cost of the whole roof when part of it breaks. Not expect customers to accept warranty work thats barely worthy of a Blue Peter badge. :shrug:

Saying that, Ive had warranty work carried out on electrical issues for a car (not Nissan) completed with masking tape. So they will all try and cut corners. (I wasn't a happy bunny when I spotted that either :lol:)

Well, got the car back the next day and have to say it looks like they have done a good job. Roof trim is fixed and looks as new and the hood operation actually seems smoother and less jerky than it used to be. Ive had the roof down twice a day for last 5 days and so far its all working well.

I was also pleased they gave the car a full valet as it was filthy when I took it in.

• 1 year later...

Just noticed that I have the same problem with my 07 plate temper roadster! :( Roof won't fold down and gets stuck at the last moment.

Did you have to get the whole roof replaced in the end?

Pretty annoyed to be honest since its only done 13k miles!!!

Edited by Fran

when you say you have the same problem are you talking about the part breaking off or just that the roof wont fully open? if its the latter it could well just be down to the cold weather. Nissan advise that you shouldnt operate the roof below 5 degrees but i have found it needs to be up nearer 10 degrees unless you can park the car in the sun so as to warm the roof