Vibrations through steering column

ChrisP

I have a problem that's just started with the z this week; when going round a near side corner I get a vibration coming through the steering column. The vibration has got streadily worse through the week but doesn't happen when turning right. The vibration seems to be coming from the off side front of the car; it feels almost like a loose wheel, but have checked and it's still there! :)

I had a look around the wheel last night and nothing was appeared loose or like it was rubbing. However, I did notice a loose washer in the upper wish bone mount. Have they got a habbit of coming loose, should it be like that?

Common culprits also include wheel weights and wheel bearings.

Wheel weights is normally vibrations at speed in a straight line, this is just around one corner.

Could be one of many things I guess, bearings or some suspension bits spring to mind. Might be an idea to fire a PM off to ZMANALEX, what he doesnt know about Zeds isnt worth knowing. He will help you methodically find what is the culprit :thumbs:

I assume you've checked all the lug nuts with a torque wrench Chris? Should have said you had the prob the other day, I could have taken a *ahem* test drive ;) Unless its just started.

Definately just round the corners; think it's primarily related to curviture and not necessarily speed, it seems to be worst at left hand down a quarter rep. Will try your man and see what he thinks so thanks for the pointer.

Of course I've checked the nuts, what you think I am??? ;)

The thing just started on Sunday tbh otherwise I'd have quizzed you on it at the pub, and on the 'ahem' test drive... you looked far too comfortable in the Ibiza but if you lend me the 370 you're on next time!! :lol:

Yup it sounds like bearing or even bushes thats gone! need to isolate the problem methodically :thumbs: Does the car pull to one side in a straight line?

i assume it has nothing to do with braking too if not that throws in more variables to the equation :surrender: .

Also check the tyres are all fine and pressures are all ok and the plastic wheel centering rings are intact. i lost one in a front wheel and had fine vibrations just over 60-70mph;)

Also check the ... plastic wheel centering rings are intact. i lost one in a front wheel and had fine vibrations just over 60-70mph;)

Do you mean the spiggot rings? Chris is running on the Rays, so no spiggot rings in there :thumbs:

I'm sure there are plenty of checks to do, I just dont know what they all are :blush: I'll go see if the service manual throws anything up.

If it runs on so long I have the 370, you can have a quick go while I break your car :drive1