My remap trip to RS

mic-39

Firstly a big thanks to Paul for the works done on Saturday past.

I decided a quite a while ago to have the remap works done to my car. There are no mods apart from the jwt air intake and an aftermarket k2 type exhaust

As I had other things to be doing at the weekend I set off on Friday night got the ferry and travelled down to Leeds getting there at 3am :yawn::yawn:

Got up the next morning and headed over to RS. Paul was working on a cleo 172 on the dyno and after hearing is scream at 7500rpm I got a bit concerned about the Z doing that but thought I was there so I might as well go ahead with it now, half an hour later the Renault was finished and I handed over my keys :byebye:

Truthfully I was really aprehensive about the dynoruns but I quickly learnt that Paul definately knows what he is doing :thumbs:

The car was reversed in and strapped down, Paul quickly set about checking the gear ratios and the general set up and after a few runs to check all these set about the initial power runs. Not being an expert at all about these things a few full runs were done and run 4 taken as the average. The initial surprise to me was the stock fuel map--It appeared to be all over the graph :wacko: and Paul assured me that he would fix that.

After what appeared to be an un-ending amount of dyno runs, a lot of tapping and pressing buttons on the laptop I noticed the power levels increasing and the car definately started to sound sharper. Its hard to explain in words but it sounded great beforehand but now was even better.

After I think run 25 Paul came out of the car we went out for a think and a smoke :) . He thought he would alter cam timing and again after a few further runs the power peaked at the 282 flywheel. He said that the stock airbox would achieve further gains and that using higher octane fuel would improve things aswell--Intake temps were getting very high due to the fact that the outside temp on Saturday was 18 degrees and in the unit temps were over 32/34 degrees despite all 4 fans working

I believe that the throttle response was atltered to achieve 100% opening and that the revlimiter was increased also.

We had to call it a day at lunchtime as the bridgestones were really sticky and hot and this was affecting the final runs-apparently causing drag on the rollers.

We finally then got the car out for a road test and immediately the difference was evident, the same car but so different, more responsive sharper and crisper sounding and a lot more drive-able

Paul really knows his was around the 350 and I believe a specific car remap is the only way to go :#1:

I said my farewells then :D headed off down the M1 to Derby and immediately the first thing I realised was that the fuel economy was between 35 and 36mpg :scare: Over the remainder of the weekend with quite a lot of town driving and over 4 tanks of fuel later the average was still over 28mpg. well impressed :yahoo:

I would recommend RS and Paul for a stirling job :thumbs::thumbs:B)

NO

This is a individual car specific remap. The data on your car is downloaded then tweeked and altered to achieve the maximum tailored to your car. :D

A standard reflash can actually loose you power in certain instances. Every engine is different and everyone's mods are different eg exhaust, intake etc etc :scare:

I was advised never to go for a "standard" reflash because what may be good for my car may not be good for yours. I would suggest that you give Paul a call regarding specifics

Cost is slightly more expensive than a " standard" remap as such but honestly the difference is amazing and truthfully I would rather spend a few extra quid having a specific remap done and as you can see there were 36 runs made also to ensure that everything is in tiptop performance

I'm sure I've read somewhere that RS Tunings dyno tends to read on the low side, the main thing is the difference in the before and after measurements IMO

+1

Dyno's are really only reliable to test the difference before and after mods or tuning, far from perfect in finding out the exact power figures.

On top of what has been said

1. The jwt popcharger is known to loose hp--approx 5-8bhp but the noise is worth it

2. The car was running 97 ron and not 99 as preferred

3. The ambient temp was quite high and with heatsoak intake temps were in the 30's which will affect power

4. The car has 70k miles also

My end goal was not to achieve blistering performance, really if i wanted that i would fit turbos, superchargers etc but really just to fine tune what Nissan have tried to achieve and to make better their shortcomings. I have achieved that for a few hundred quid and it has just made what i believe is a good car better :teeth::teeth:

This is a individual car specific remap. The data on your car is downloaded then tweeked and altered to achieve the maximum tailored to your car. :D

OK, its not a standalone ECU/chip change/daughter board change then - thats what I was getting at. Any idea what parameters can be changed on a standard ECU - ignition timing, injector etc? :)

OK, its not a standalone ECU/chip change/daughter board change then - thats what I was getting at. Any idea what parameters can be changed on a standard ECU - ignition timing, injector etc? :)

Search for UpRev, all the details are about. It depends on the year of the car as to what can be done - speak to Abbey or RS Tuning and they can tell you what can be done with your car. Theres no generic maps for these cars as the changes are quite minimal, so the safe window of operation is quite small I would imagine - not like most FI cars where they can generically map them and get good results.

Just seen your post. Yes it was me who was down at RS on saturday it was good to meet you and have a chat about the Zed world.

Those are some good gains you've got there I hope I get something similar when funds allow this to be done. This mod is definately on my list and with the increased fuel economy maybe I can justify it sooner than I first thought.

I can recommend RS tuning as well Paul is sound and always willing to discuss things with you in detail if you have any questions. The reason I was there on saturday was not for me but for my mate who has an MR2 Turbo. We were there to find out his BHP after a few mods. Made 406BHP at the flywheel it feels awesome!

Once again goo dto meet you mate.

Thanks Steve

Firstly a big thanks to Paul for the works done on Saturday past.

I decided a quite a while ago to have the remap works done to my car. There are no mods apart from the jwt air intake and an aftermarket k2 type exhaust

As I had other things to be doing at the weekend I set off on Friday night got the ferry and travelled down to Leeds getting there at 3am :yawn::yawn:

Got up the next morning and headed over to RS. Paul was working on a cleo 172 on the dyno and after hearing is scream at 7500rpm I got a bit concerned about the Z doing that but thought I was there so I might as well go ahead with it now, half an hour later the Renault was finished and I handed over my keys :byebye:

Truthfully I was really aprehensive about the dynoruns but I quickly learnt that Paul definately knows what he is doing :thumbs:

The car was reversed in and strapped down, Paul quickly set about checking the gear ratios and the general set up and after a few runs to check all these set about the initial power runs. Not being an expert at all about these things a few full runs were done and run 4 taken as the average. The initial surprise to me was the stock fuel map--It appeared to be all over the graph :wacko: and Paul assured me that he would fix that.

After what appeared to be an un-ending amount of dyno runs, a lot of tapping and pressing buttons on the laptop I noticed the power levels increasing and the car definately started to sound sharper. Its hard to explain in words but it sounded great beforehand but now was even better.

After I think run 25 Paul came out of the car we went out for a think and a smoke :) . He thought he would alter cam timing and again after a few further runs the power peaked at the 282 flywheel. He said that the stock airbox would achieve further gains and that using higher octane fuel would improve things aswell--Intake temps were getting very high due to the fact that the outside temp on Saturday was 18 degrees and in the unit temps were over 32/34 degrees despite all 4 fans working

I believe that the throttle response was atltered to achieve 100% opening and that the revlimiter was increased also.

We had to call it a day at lunchtime as the bridgestones were really sticky and hot and this was affecting the final runs-apparently causing drag on the rollers.

We finally then got the car out for a road test and immediately the difference was evident, the same car but so different, more responsive sharper and crisper sounding and a lot more drive-able

Paul really knows his was around the 350 and I believe a specific car remap is the only way to go :#1:

I said my farewells then :D headed off down the M1 to Derby and immediately the first thing I realised was that the fuel economy was between 35 and 36mpg :scare: Over the remainder of the weekend with quite a lot of town driving and over 4 tanks of fuel later the average was still over 28mpg. well impressed :yahoo:

I would recommend RS and Paul for a stirling job :thumbs::thumbs:B)

It was a pleasure to meet you.

I'm glad you are happy with the mapping, as people said the stock run was pretty low but this can be a number of thigs, your fuelling was a mile out so gives me a bit of an easier time finding power haha.

It sounds like you had a fun trip on the way back :lol:

• 1 month later...