Is the 370Z an improvement over the 350Z?

Valveman

nissan performance cars have always had porsche in their sights, the aim to build a better car for less, or at least faster.

350z was aimed at the boxster market and beating the boxster

370z target was the cayman

gtr target was the 911

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been reading through this post and thought I'd check out the Cayman compared to the 370z.

They do seem to be better built, better drivers car etc but for the same spec as the Nissan you're getting on for £50k! The base models are about £33k and don't include much apart from electric windows, air con and stuff that's standard on most family cars.

So £15-£20k more than the 370z. Surely they're not even comparable?hb

New 370Z vs used Cayman S and they are totally comparable.

Obviously if you have to buy new then they are not on the same page.

In terms of price they are, certainly. But why compare buying a brand new car to a more expensive second hand car?

I'm not saying you shouldn't consider where to spend your £30k but the comparisions going on seem a little unfair considering (as has already been pointed out) a fully specced Porche new costs TWICE that of the 370z. That's not a small amount.

Although if I had £30k to spare I think I'd save a little bit more and go Aston Martin V8 Vantage :cloud9:

Compare that, if you will, to either car.

I think the comparison is made because of their "similar" performance. Nissan scores on price and value for money, and Porsche scores on technical excellence and status.

My friend has a V8 Vantage. I've looked over it and it is now where near as well made as my Boxster S. Its full of Ford parts and he struggles to get 15mpg even driving normally. A beautiful looking car though.

I picked up my 370 on New Years Eve having had a 350 for about 14 months prior. I've done about 4,000 miles in it since then and in a nutshell:

For;

Performance (straight line) - definitely an improvement over the 350 although the back becomes very light at high speeds!

Interior - far better than before although you can't see the speedo with your hand on the wheel (similar to the 350 but there is no digital speedo on the computer) really like the seats and the trip etc

AUX point on stereo, my old 350 didn't have one.

Against

Handling - seems to wallow a bit if you push it in the corners too much and almost feels as if it is going to topple over. 350 much better in that resspect.

Visibility - the low position and the side visibility definitely could be better.

Even worse in the snow than the 350 if that's possible!

Road noise - could be tyres, we will see when they are due for a change

Brakes - these are not as good as on the 350

Boot/storage space - I haven't had the tape measure out but I am sure the boot is not as deep. the glove box is useless and the cubby befhind the driver only just get the handbook in.

Looks I am still undesided on. I was a real fan of the 350 and think it looked better from the rear than the 370.

As for the stealers agreed that they are all useless!

M

Interesting you picked yours up on the same day as me and although mine was s/h (68 miles :lol: ) it is has only just done 2k miles - half of which was going to Wales last week and a little sight seeing ;) so got to find out a little more about the car and added my comments in red against yours.

I picked up my 370 on New Years Eve having had a 350 for about 14 months prior. I've done about 4,000 miles in it since then and in a nutshell:

For;

Performance (straight line) - definitely an improvement over the 350 although the back becomes very light at high speeds! The extra grunt is very noticeable on the motorways for overtaking. As I had the extra weight of a spare wheel and a full trunk of luggage my back end was never feeling light :lol: .

Interior - far better than before although you can't see the speedo with your hand on the wheel (similar to the 350 but there is no digital speedo on the computer) really like the seats and the trip etc. The interior is way better in terms of quality I rarely look at the car's speedo but I do use a snooper that gives a more accurate (GPS) reading so I can max the limits ;)

AUX point on stereo, my old 350 didn't have one.[/color] My music is the Stillen :teeth:

The sat-nav works very well and with 3 route options it is easy to programme. The split screen with the birds-eye function showing junction/roundabout details is very impressive and useful.

The bluetooth and phone functionality are a huge improvement.

The auto lights and wipers - particularly the latter are very useful and work better than I had feared.

And the best :D factor is the syncro rev on the downshifts - now that is worth having the 370 just for that :thumbs:

Against

Handling - seems to wallow a bit if you push it in the corners too much and almost feels as if it is going to topple over. 350 much better in that resspect. Can't say I feel any more 'lean' that with the 350 - I think that may be more something to do with the relatively lower seating position.

Visibility - the low position and the side visibility definitely could be better. I agree that visibility is more restricted and for me being tall I find the rear window black surround cuts off following cars and particuarly what they might have on the roof ;)

Even worse in the snow than the 350 if that's possible! As bad as each other :lol:

Road noise - could be tyres, we will see when they are due for a change. Jury is out on that for me at the mo - the asymmetric 50A Stones do give an odd 'tramlining' feel and 'scrub' on full lock at lower speeds but was impressed with the road holding ability in the wet - and were half decent in the snow :scare:

Brakes - these are not as good as on the 350. I have not noticed that myself but I do use the gears/engine braking probably more than most so have yet to try them in anger

Boot/storage space - I haven't had the tape measure out but I am sure the boot is not as deep. the glove box is useless and the cubby befhind the driver only just get the handbook in. Yes I agree - my one big issue is the lack of useable storage space and not even coat hooks :angry: . The boot definitely holds less than the 350 and there is little space under the boot floor - OK I have a spacesaver there now but that has just taken the place of a bloody great lump of polysytrene that holds the subwoofer (which now now sits inside the spacesaver)

Looks I am still undesided on. I was a real fan of the 350 and think it looked better from the rear than the 370. I tend to agree and hence why the first thing I did was to add the carbon wrapping front and rear. The spacers add to the silghtly more aggressive look and as many seem to be saying, the looks grow on you but it will never replace the iconic look of the 350

As for the stealers agreed that they are all useless! I've got on alright (so far) with the dealer I bought the 370 from and the local Nissan dealer but as neither have little knowledge of 350s/370s you have to 'help' them along, if you get my drift ;)

M

But as I saved some £30k over a similarly equipped Cayman I think its great value for money and a worthy successor to the 350, and have no regrets but having said that I may look back in years to come and when my grandchildren ask me what was the best car I had I expect I will say the 350 - and by that I mean the 2004 MY03 model I had as opposed to the MY06.

• 4 months later...
The Cayman is lovely handling car but just a little common and to me is a poor man's 911 ;) (I think I'll run for cover now!).... just joking ;)

Hmm. Today my mate came over with his brand spanking new 2010 Porsche Cayman S in "seal" grey. I had a drive and now I thoroughly regret my comment months back regarding the Cayman, it was fantastic! It felt like it was on rails, steering was so smooth and perfect and that engine noise is amazing! I still love my 370z but I now have these horrible ideas floating round my head about trading/selling her in the next few months and getting myself a Cayman S! :scare:

Just think of the servicing costs and replacement parts for the Porsche. ;)

Yes do, every 20,000 miles or every 2 years. The only replacement parts you may need would be tyres and these are probably no different in price to your 370Z. :)

I drove a Cayman S (with ceramic brakes) round the new Porsche Test track at Silverstone and it was sublime. The lighter brakes made it handle even better than the standard car which is also excellent.

Just think of the servicing costs and replacement parts for the Porsche. ;)

I've looked into the servicing pricing and it's not so ridiculous for the Cayman and I will buy one with a couple of years warranty left. I am even keener on the idea today than I was yesterday. Having owned a few Z's now I'll definetely miss it but a change is always a good thing :) I'll probably keep the Z until April next year (so I've had it a year) and then see what it's worth. I'll then consider purchasing a 2009/2010 Cayman S (can't really justify purchasing a brand new one).

I appreciate the OPs comments, but rather than trawl through 5 pages of comments. The spare wheel has been replaced for a sub in the higher spec cars and in my opinion how can you buy an auto when the manual is so much fun, unless of course it is your preference, I know my old man would never really buy a new manual performance car only ever a classic.

The Cayman is lovely handling car but just a little common and to me is a poor man's 911 ;) (I think I'll run for cover now!).... just joking ;)

Hmm. Today my mate came over with his brand spanking new 2010 Porsche Cayman S in "seal" grey. I had a drive and now I thoroughly regret my comment months back regarding the Cayman, it was fantastic! It felt like it was on rails, steering was so smooth and perfect and that engine noise is amazing! I still love my 370z but I now have these horrible ideas floating round my head about trading/selling her in the next few months and getting myself a Cayman S! :scare:

Go the whole hog and get an S Sport. :clap::cloud9: If I had to chose my "next car" now, this would be it. Yours for £36k. :thumbs:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1770081.htm

Porsche-cayman-s-sport_1024x768.jpg

Regarding your initial comment about the Boxster/Cayman being a "poor mans 911" well both cars share many of the same parts, in fact I think many would be very surprised to learn how many parts are the same in both models. I read a test about a year ago where a Cayman S was timed against a 911 (997) C2 around a race track (I think it was Bedford Autodrome) and the Caymen S was quicker round the track than the 911 by about a second a lap. Having owned some pretty rare 911's over the years and driven some of the newer ones I can confirm that I would take a Cayman S over the 911 any day - its just more of a drivers car and it handles better too.

But as I saved some £30k over a similarly equipped Cayman I think its great value for money and a worthy successor to the 350, and have no regrets but having said that I may look back in years to come and when my grandchildren ask me what was the best car I had I expect I will say the 350 - and by that I mean the 2004 MY03 model I had as opposed to the MY06.

What did you prefer about your MY03 to MY06, or was it just it was your first love? :in_love:

What did you prefer about your MY03 to MY06, or was it just it was your first love? :in_love:

Primarily the torque characteristics of the 276 seemed better suited to the 350 on the B roads and I was also concerned at the oil consumption of the 296 - OK that may not be a long term issue but when the previous ZED used zero oil between services it just didn't feel right and what with the absolute dipstick who designed it - checking the actual oil level was never the easiest of tasks. The 'facelift' improvements that came with the MY06 were a good step up but overall as I have the car for the driving pleasure it came back to the power delivery, for me. :shrug:

Primarily the torque characteristics of the 276 seemed better suited to the 350 on the B roads and I was also concerned at the oil consumption of the 296 - OK that may not be a long term issue but when the previous ZED used zero oil between services it just didn't feel right and what with the absolute dipstick who designed it - checking the actual oil level was never the easiest of tasks. The 'facelift' improvements that came with the MY06 were a good step up but overall as I have the car for the driving pleasure it came back to the power delivery, for me. :shrug:

That's intersting Colin, hadn't realised the torque difference between models was so noticeable. Luckily my MY06 doesn't seem to use much oil, but I agree they could not have designed a worse dip stick. :doh:

I kinda think Nissan saw a need to up the bhp for sales reasons and having 'trialed' it with the GT4's the feedback (straight line/track/media testing) was good but then I wonder if the engine manufacture/tolerances was changed for the facelift versions, hence the oil consumption issue not seeming to be an issue on the GT4's?

I always remember Big Phil saying that best engines in his opinion were those made for the first ZEDs in 2002/2003, but having said that all the ZED engines are as bullet-proof as any and with good maintenance they go well into 6 figures mileage-wise as a number of owners have testified on here.

Go the whole hog and get an S Sport. :clap::cloud9: If I had to chose my "next car" now, this would be it. Yours for £36k. :thumbs:

Yeh, the Sports look nice but they're prior to the 2009 facelift. I want the facelift model as not only does it have the new front and rear (only subtle changes) but it has the PCM3 nav etc.. inside which is a big step up. Looking for a white, silver or grey Cayman S in 2009 with PASM, Chrono etc... and also the new DFI 3.4 engine which improves bhp by about 25 horses.

Yeh, the Sports look nice but they're prior to the 2009 facelift. I want the facelift model as not only does it have the new front and rear (only subtle changes) but it has the PCM3 nav etc.. inside which is a big step up. Looking for a white, silver or grey Cayman S in 2009 with PASM, Chrono etc... and also the new DFI 3.4 engine which improves bhp by about 25 horses.

Keep us posted. Many reports of the Cayman being a better/quicker/safer drive than the 911.

I like the sport because of the colours! :blush: Tango orange, froggy green or white with stripes says Porsche to me. I'm soo 1970s. :lol: