Is the 370Z an improvement over the 350Z?

Valveman

Agreed. Although I'm not happy with the direction they took with it and can't see myself buying one, I'm still glad it exists! :thumbs:

By chance I've just read an article in Car&Driver comparing wheel sizes. The results:

0-60mph

15s = 7.6sec

16s = 7.7sec

17s = 7.8sec

18s = 7.9sec

19s = 7.9sec

Grip

15s = 0.83g

16s = 0.85g

17s = 0.85g

18s = 0.89g

19s = 0.88g

Braking

15s = 130ft

16s = 133ft

17s = 128ft

18s = 126ft

19s = 126ft

Economy

15s = 23.3mpg

16s = 22.9mpg

17s = 22.8mpg

18s = 21.9mpg

19s = 21.1mpg

Wheel Weight

15s = 40lb

16s = 46lb

17s = 48lb

18s = 51lb

19s = 54lb

Not sure how scientific they were with that? How did they get the results?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am only 550 miles in on my 370z but already know it's a huge improvement on the 350z (even with keeping it under 4k at the moment). Also, I am sure my Z does have speakers in the back along with the sub? I will have to check in the morning, maybe you were in a base model or something? The Cayman is lovely handling car but just a little common and to me is a poor man's 911 ;) (I think I'll run for cover now!).... just joking ;)

I think the 370z GT with Bose comes with more speakers, it definately has them in the rear, just behind the B pillar IIRC :thumbs:

Just read this months Evo, 370z Roadster (7AT) vs BMW Z4 roadster vs Audi TTS roadster and the 370z took it :yahoo:

I think the 370z GT with Bose comes with more speakers, it definately has them in the rear, just behind the B pillar IIRC :thumbs:

Just read this months Evo, 370z Roadster (7AT) vs BMW Z4 roadster vs Audi TTS roadster and the 370z took it :yahoo:

Because it's the best naturally! :thumbs:

Actually, I really like the 370 roadster, I'd probably have it over the coupe.

The Cayman is lovely handling car but just a little common and to me is a poor man's 911 ;) (I think I'll run for cover now!).... just joking ;)

:nono: Generally only perceived that way by those who buy for the badge and not the superior chassis dynamics of the Cayman ;)

+1 - Get the turbo conversion for the Cayman and its waaaay better than a 911 :drive1

The Cayman is lovely handling car but just a little common and to me is a poor man's 911 ;) (I think I'll run for cover now!).... just joking ;)

:nono: Generally only perceived that way by those who buy for the badge and not the superior chassis dynamics of the Cayman ;)

+1 - Get the turbo conversion for the Cayman and its waaaay better than a 911 :drive1

Or the Autofarm 911 engine conversion. :)

Or the Autofarm 911 engine conversion. :)

I drove the new Cayman S round the new Porsche test track at Silverstone several weeks ago with the new direct injection engine (320Hp) and you really don't need any more power than this in this chassis for road or track use, unless you are going to race it. On the twisty bits I was all over the back of the new 911 turbo (being driven by one of the instructors) and it was only on the end of the straights where the turbo was pulling away but only slightly. Its the perfect car - great engine and great chassis = the perfect package. Also the earlier 3.4 (non direct injection engines) were in fact from the 996 911, so these have the same engine as the 911, all be it an earlier one.

That statement about them being the poor mans 911 really winds me up and really highlights ignorance. 60% of the Boxster and Cayman is 911 - same parts etc - just look at them both when you are next in a Porsche showroom. The Porsche and Cayman have taken over from what the 911 used to be - a sports car. The new 911 (996 and 997) is now GT car and not an out and out sports car that it used to be in the 964 and 993 series. This is a well know fact amongst Porsche owners. The new 911's were engineered this way so the car would appeal to a wider ownership.

Anyway I still think the 350Z and 370Z are good value for money and are still great cars - they just need a little sorting out IMO. I must get to drive the manual 370Z to make a better comparison which may be difficult as all the 370Z's I have seen in the Nissan showrooms have been autos. I think Nissan are pushing the auto model as opposed to the manual version.

Actually I struggled to get an Auto to try out, all the ones I found were manuals bar KJM Reading, and WLMG in Slough had to get me an Auto in especially for my test drive. Seems mad that they dont appear to have a spread of the different boxes around the country :bangin:

Well, I am only 550 miles in on my 370z but already know it's a huge improvement on the 350z (even with keeping it under 4k at the moment).

Wait til the engine is run in and you can take it above 4k, that's where the fun REALLY starts!!!

i went and sat in a 370 and started her up, ive got to say that the interior is a big improvement over the 350, but i didnt drive it so i cant say much more than that,

It seems this thread is turning into 'is the 370z better than a cayman?' ive got to say id rather have the 370z because its not as 'look at me' as the porsches are, but I really do not like any porsches so im a bit biased

i went and sat in a 370 and started her up, ive got to say that the interior is a big improvement over the 350, but i didnt drive it so i cant say much more than that,

It seems this thread is turning into 'is the 370z better than a cayman?' ive got to say id rather have the 370z because its not as 'look at me' as the porsches are, but I really do not like any porsches so im a bit biased

I suggest you don't drive one then because that will probably change your mind. :)

The other side to the story is a Porsche owner (and I know a few) often refer to the 350/370Z as just a Datsun, or Dazzer on occasions which can be a little annoying :angry:

Well, I am only 550 miles in on my 370z but already know it's a huge improvement on the 350z (even with keeping it under 4k at the moment).

As I have said in a previous post if you take the two cars as standard then there is probably not a great deal in it. However with a little engine "fettling" to the 350Z can transform this car into something that is significantly better than the standard 370Z. As it stands I would not trade my 350Z for a 370Z even if someone gave me £20K (the amount I would need to make a trade) because the 350 engine is now so perfect. Maybe when the Uprev boys have worked their magic on the 370Z it may be a different story - until then I will continue to enjoy my 350Z. :)

P.S. I made a trip to Manchester and Liverpool last week and I got 30mpg (440miles) from a single tank of super unleaded. :D

UpRev can already map 370z ;)

Yeh, judging by alot of the stuff being done to the 3.7 unit over the pond etc.. already it's looking like this engine is just as open (if not more so) to changes than the old 3.5 lump. The future is bright ;)

Don't get me wrong, I think the Cayman is a nice looking car, it's just not for me. The Z (old one's and new) always leaves me with a huge grin on my face after a drive. I also like the fact that the 370z does seem to be very rare (at the moment) and certainly does get a lot of positive comments from people that see it ;)

Just been reading through this post and thought I'd check out the Cayman compared to the 370z.

They do seem to be better built, better drivers car etc but for the same spec as the Nissan you're getting on for £50k! The base models are about £33k and don't include much apart from electric windows, air con and stuff that's standard on most family cars.

So £15-£20k more than the 370z. Surely they're not even comparable?hb

Just been reading through this post and thought I'd check out the Cayman compared to the 370z.

They do seem to be better built, better drivers car etc but for the same spec as the Nissan you're getting on for £50k! The base models are about £33k and don't include much apart from electric windows, air con and stuff that's standard on most family cars.

New 370Z vs used Cayman S and they are totally comparable.

Obviously if you have to buy new then they are not on the same page.

all the talk of the cayman i had to go and have a browse,

i absolutely love the exterior, stunning cars, far nicer than the standard boxster or 911 i think the cayman is more sleek.

but the one thing i'm struggling with is the interior of them. from the pictures they just seem very clinical. and i'm just not feeling it. may be need to go and have a look at one.

the 370 is becoming a more and more viable option :blush:

For sure the Cayman and the 370Z are comparable in terms of what they do and totally agree about the price difference and what you get options wise on a standard car against what you get standard on the 350Z/370Z. I bought my Boxster S (identical to a Cayman S except it is a rag top) last year and just "respeced" it on the Porsche Configurator and it came out to £60K (the only thing mine doesn't have is the PCCB brakes). This is approximately twice what a new 370Z costs new, so you can see what good value the 370Z is. However if you are considering a 1-2 year old Cayman then price will be much more comparable. Its the options that push the price up on the Cayman and all German cars for that matter. I have had the same with Audi, BMW and Mercedes over the years, you need to allow about another £10-15K on the purchase price to get the options you want (well what I would want) included. I think Nissan have tried to engineer the 370Z to be more like a Cayman than the 350Z, you only have to sit in the car to see this. I would also say the 350Z is more like the new 911 - more a GT car than an out and out sports car.

Both are great cars but the Nissan is way better value for money if you are buying new. However if we are talking about the technical aspects of the two cars then the Cayman is superior.

all the talk of the cayman i had to go and have a browse,

i absolutely love the exterior, stunning cars, far nicer than the standard boxster or 911 i think the cayman is more sleek.

but the one thing i'm struggling with is the interior of them. from the pictures they just seem very clinical. and i'm just not feeling it. may be need to go and have a look at one.

the 370 is becoming a more and more viable option :blush:

Just go and sit in one ;) They are a bit clinical in a typical Germanic sort of way, but the quality is superb. Check out things like the way the cup holders are dampened ( if you can find where they're hidden) and soild clump when you close the door. And thats before you drive it and feel the rifle-bolt gearchange and incredible steering feedback.

I think Nissan have tried to engineer the 370Z to be more like a Cayman than the 350Z

No thinking required, Nissan quite openly said they used the Cayman as the benchtest for the 370z, they felt no qualms in openly saying they were going after it ;)

I think Nissan have tried to engineer the 370Z to be more like a Cayman than the 350Z

No thinking required, Nissan quite openly said they used the Cayman as the benchtest for the 370z, they felt no qualms in openly saying they were going after it ;)

OK, well I never saw that. Nice to know I was right :)

In terms of price they are, certainly. But why compare buying a brand new car to a more expensive second hand car?

I'm not saying you shouldn't consider where to spend your £30k but the comparisions going on seem a little unfair considering (as has already been pointed out) a fully specced Porche new costs TWICE that of the 370z. That's not a small amount.

Although if I had £30k to spare I think I'd save a little bit more and go Aston Martin V8 Vantage :cloud9:

Compare that, if you will, to either car.

Although if I had £30k to spare I think I'd save a little bit more and go Aston Martin V8 Vantage :cloud9:

Compare that, if you will, to either car.

Speak to Zedrush about Astons and you may change your opinion :)