iPhone help

350 Russ

i got an iphone 3Gs last weekend and today at work (im a plumber) a 2 inch pipe blew off from its valve! to say i got wet was an understatement. i would have been drier if i had jumped in a swimming pool. this im not worried about but my phone is now not turning on or nothing, can they be repaired from water damage? i dont have insurance on it as i thought i was covered by my bank account so i cancelled it yesterday and now i find out i had to register my phone with my bank! vodafone have quoted me £450 for a new one and its on an 18month contract, help please

Let it dry fully and then do a factory reset on it. I had an issue with mine when I first bought it and had to do this.

Im not sure if the following is a full reset, if it is then it will wipe your data (names, numbers, messages, apps etc etc)

Try resetting it by pressing and hold the Sleep/Wake button (on the top right of the unit) and the Home button (circular button on the iPhone's face) simultaneously for at least 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

I know it sounds strange, but try putting it in a bowl of rice for a few days.

The rice will draw the moisture from your phone.

My mate forgot to take his iPhone out of his pocket before putting his clothes in the washing machine and used this technique and it worked!

rice and then put in the airing cupboard, you want to get rid of all moisture before turning it on, as the water will conduct andf make new contacts

+1 and seal it up in a tupperware box if you can. And silica packets instead of rice if you can, they are the best. Make sure you dont try and turn it on until its completely dry. If you are daring you could take it apart to speed up the process :headhurt:

im not going to take it apart, thats only going to open a bigger can of worms. its on already i cant turn it off! the screen doesnt work and the backlights dont come on will this make a difference? its in a pot of rice now so fingers crossed! im livid about this ive only had it for a week! :bang:

you need to leave it for well over a week to get all the water to evaporate out.

by turning it on i think you may well have shagged it. :doh:

we used to be able to bring solid state memory back to life with the above methods but we usually found with phones etc that if you turned it on before it would never be the same.

It'll work, just let it dry out properly and try the reset again. If its turning on, but just not responding, then it may just require leaving for a while to dry out some more. Phones nowadays seem to be fairly bulletproof, so just let it dry some more and try the reset again is what Id do.

If the drying out fails, bear in mind these phones fetch very good money on eBay almost regardless of condition. I sold mine on there after it had fallen into a chocolate gâteau at a party. Wasn't working very well at all and this was clearly stated in the ad, still got over £200 for it, and it was the older, non "s" version.

If the drying out fails, bear in mind these phones fetch very good money on eBay almost regardless of condition. I sold mine on there after it had fallen into a chocolate gâteau at a party. Wasn't working very well at all and this was clearly stated in the ad, still got over £200 for it, and it was the older, non "s" version.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You could take out insurance now with a new company...then wait a week or so and then make your claim :thumbs:

May look suspicious but I cant imagine there is much they can do about it.

ill take a look at that if the rice idea doesnt work! cheers

You could take out insurance now with a new company...then wait a week or so and then make your claim :thumbs:

May look suspicious but I cant imagine there is much they can do about it.

ill take a look at that if the rice idea doesnt work! cheers

Get one of those bank account upgrades for a few months that include phone insurance. Say you need the AA cover or some

thing. Don't tell em you own a Zed as they won't believe you as they never break down. :teeth:

Then steer clear of faulty water pipes or get togethers at ug45cwb's incase another gateau is for desert..... :lol::lol::lol:

WTF :surrender:

How big was the gateau? Any pics :snack:

Be patient young Sir - might be worth taking the SIM card out and leaving that bit open - help get the air in quicker - DO NOT take it apart!!!

Let it dry like the good townsfolks of the foum have suggested - had similar with my old Moto phone years ago - dried on the radiator (dont do it with an iphone) left it for a few hours and it was fine.

Remember they are actually tested for this sort of stuff of course not against Chocolate Gateau failure though :lol:

Mines survived skiiing across the top of the van dash when going round a corner - trying out that free Heads up app which is crap btw!! :bangin: , bouncing off the works carpark tarmac but best of all survived a direct hit with my kitchen's Porcelain floor tiles and lived! :thumbs:

only 18 months contract left - lets hope its still going strong! :clap:

update; just had a look its been in the rice for about 18 hrs now and all the condensation on the screen has gone,

take the sim out idea i did when it happened and blasted a high pressure air line into it to try and blast out the water and got a fair bit out,

im not going to take it apart as they might not pay out on the insurance when i come to claim, i set up an insurance on it today but have to wait 21 days before i can claim which i think is a bit wrong as if im insured then it should be from the start date surely? oh well it seems like were making progress fingers crossed

im not going to take it apart as they might not pay out on the insurance when i come to claim, i set up an insurance on it today but have to wait 21 days before i can claim which i think is a bit wrong as if im insured then it should be from the start date surely? oh well it seems like were making progress fingers crossed

it's almost as if they think some unscrupulous people out there may actually take out a policy after the incident has occurred ;)

and high pressure air line :scare:

yeah blasted the water straight outta there! its only 2-3 bar to be fair so it wasnt massive amounts of pressure,

if the insurance plan goes a bit wrong im going to cover over the water sensor and take it to the apple shop to try and get a new one ;) , theres no way in hell im paying vodafone 450 for a new one!