UK Road Tunnels

Anubis

You've got the car. You have forked out your hard earned for that expensive exhaust. You now want to make a symphony of noise all around you, but the question is where are all the tunnels?

Scouring maps and looking on the Internet for them to incorporate on a drive can be a long and painful process unless you're 'in the know' - and even then you may miss some.

There are hundreds of them across the UK, yet no one has actually plotted them on a map - until now...

UK Road Tunnels

I've teamed up with PistonHeads to plot all of them across the UK (they have agreed to make it a sticky). If you know of some road tunnels, help out your fellow petrolheads by signing into a Google account (setting one up takes only a few minutes) and plot it on the map with the following details:

Road:

Length (approx):

Direction: [direction of travel]

Description: [speed limits, safety cameras, likely times of traffic, etc]

Next step: Go out and make some noise!

mappic.jpg

• Like 1

Instructions:

Create / Sign into a Google account. Click on Edit and then place the marker on the map for others to see (remember to save):

mapinstructions.jpg

I'm not going to put hundreds of them on a map - but if everyone put 1 or 2 that they know on there it'll get filled pretty quickly. Just trying to help out fellow petrolheads - won't do any harm, if anything it will get people out meeting eachother for runs more. It's not only this forum that it has been advertised on. :)

• 2 weeks later...

so? they can't really say anything about you entering at 20mph, accellerating to 50mph and then backing down to 20mph again.

They should embrace tunnel runners really, cos they could offer like 3 for 2 Pass-Thru deals, so you'd get the revenue for the toll but also keep us happy, well sort of.

Or organize 2am Tunnelruns with a percentage going to charity, or summat like that, lol

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

there are the two mersey tunnels however both cost £1.60 to cross and there's no much room to play. Both long. There's also some tunnels in folkestone near sugar loaf hill. At the very end of the motorway if my memory serves correctly. Other than that I don't know of any others in the north west or the rest of the country haha!

• 7 months later...

I went through the one in Dublin after bringing my car back on the ferry (purchased in England, but I live in Belfast).

Was easily the best tunnel I went through on my way back - very quiet with little traffic, so I could hear the engine nicely.

I think the toll was £2 (I paid in pounds - had no euros) and there was a cop waiting at the exit - he smiled because I'd slowed right down before I saw him so I could accelerate out of the tunnel.

:teeth:

Speed limit was only 80 km/h though.