Newbie with Ipod to Satnav Question.

wab172uk

Hi everyone.

I bought a new 370Z in December as a weekend car, but due to all the snow we've had it's hardly been out for any fun, hence only 650 miles on it in over 2 months.

If I connect my Ipod to the satnav via cable in the arm rest, can the Satnav pick up the track listings etc allowing me to control the Ipod via the Satnav?

I hear Nissan has upgraded the Satnav to the 370Z, and will be pretty cheesed off if I can't connect my Ipod after spending £1500 on a Satnav.

Don't want to buy the cables if it won't work the way I want, as having to control the Ipod via the Ipod itself is rubbish.

Anyway, hope to start posting on here a bit now, so Hi to everyone. :thumbs:

Not my thing but does this help?

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=11690

The uPAC-NIS2 interface is a multi input media device compatible with select Nissan/Infiniti radios that are Satellite Radio ready.

UK models don't have that plug, same as it was with the UK headunits, also...

Models equipped with navigation are not compatible

Is the nav touch screen? For £1500 you should have the Connect Premium pack which comes on the MY2010 models which means you get upgraded satnav with touchscreen and full postcode support. This should also mean you can just connect your iPod to the USB socket in the armrest and the satnav screen can control everything. But going by the date of your car, I'm guessing its a MY2009 you have, which I beleive has a funny connector in the armrest and they should have supplied the ipod cable with it, and also should have only cost £1400 extra. But it still controls the iPod AFAIK.

If you can, post up a pic of inside the armrest and we can tell for sure :thumbs:

Is the nav touch screen? For £1500 you should have the Connect Premium pack which comes on the MY2010 models which means you get upgraded satnav with touchscreen and full postcode support. This should also mean you can just connect your iPod to the USB socket in the armrest and the satnav screen can control everything. But going by the date of your car, I'm guessing its a MY2009 you have, which I beleive has a funny connector in the armrest and they should have supplied the ipod cable with it, and also should have only cost £1400 extra. But it still controls the iPod AFAIK.

If you can, post up a pic of inside the armrest and we can tell for sure :thumbs:

Yeah, it's a 2009 model car. No touchscreen. :doh:

Never recieved any cables for the Ipod when I collected the car, so will have to enquire at dealer. Or just pck some up at Halfords.

Bit pee'ed off over this. The car hasn't even been out a year, and the Sat Nav has been upgraded. :bang:

TBH I don't think the dealer knows very much anyway, as I was originally told in order to control the Ipod, you have to change tracks via the ipod itself. So no controlling via the stereo. Hence why I never bothered to look for the cables. Just I'm getting sick of CD's in the car.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Weather permitting, I'll take some pics and get them uploaded this weekend. :thumbs:

Guess you wont really know until you get the cable. I am basing my views on what is in the US, I think the cable has a custom connector for the ipod, but I may be wrong. I'll see what I can dig out with respect to it, I have the US sat nav manual somewhere.

I fully agree about the 2010 upgrade, I held off ordering mine especially for that. Nissan dealers didnt know anything about it either, it was announced in the roadster launch, I only knew of it by reading forums in the US. To be fair to WLMG in Slough, they did chase NMGB up to ask them the questions about it though and I finally got put in touch with the Nissan product manager for sports cars.

EDIT: Done a bit more reading on the US forums, and sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think your dealer is right, iPod can be connected to the system, but no integration, have to control it via the ipod. In the US they got integration before the 2010 update, but it appears outside of the US/Japan it doesnt work (confirmed by a chap in Oz) :thumbdown:

Information in the UK always sucks. In US they have the 2010 Sat Nav manual up for download on the Nissan site (albeit I'm not sure if its meant for public viewing), no such thing in the UK. The US forums also have the 2009 Service Manual which is very handly for ripping the car apart, but we never seem to get UK versions :thumbdown:

• 4 weeks later...

I got my 370z in October, and to be honest, although I love the car the sat nav's limited functionality has always been a bit of a grind.

I've just been on the phone to Nissan Customer Services (01923 899334) to let off a bit of steam about the fact that these have already been updated and I was told that it is possible for the dealer to the replace old 2009 one with a new 2010 one, and they're looking into see if this can be done at a discount, because of my dissatisfaction!!

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I got my 370z in October, and to be honest, although I love the car the sat nav's limited functionality has always been a bit of a grind.

I've just been on the phone to Nissan Customer Services (01923 899334) to let off a bit of steam about the fact that these have already been updated and I was told that it is possible for the dealer to the replace old 2009 one with a new 2010 one, and they're looking into see if this can be done at a discount, because of my dissatisfaction!!

The 2010 model is definetely a worthwhile upgrade (obviously depending on how much it costs you). Music box, higher res screen and much enhanced sat nav.

Be interested to hear the outcome. In the States they have quotes from Nissan saying the hardware is completely different and cant be swapped. The 350z one you could just rip out and replace, but the new 2010 nav integrates into the car a lot more, so not sure it will be a cut and shut job.

Chris, you're bang on the money there.... just heard back from my local Nissan dealer who's been looking into it and basically he's said it would be cheaper to trade the car for a new one!!! Apparently, the whole system would need replacing, as would much of the car's interior, and the cost would be well over 4 grand!! I'm still waiting to hear back from customer services, but I'm guessing I'll just have to count my losses on that one.

Unfortunately so Matty. I had quite an indepth convo with the Nissan Sportscar product manager and said to him it was shocking how they have done it. At least in the States they had the car for a year before the upgrade, over here it was a matter of months. And Nissan did nothing to warn customers either. I knew it was coming before they did officially as it was released in the States first which is where I heard about it, and hence posted the "Connect Premium" thread.

Just enjoy the car for what it is. The satnav still works, so does its job of getting you to the nice roads, but when you are there, its still the same car as the newer ones, so just as fun to drive, which is what its all about :drive1

I couldn't agree more... its still the best car I've ever owned, and am ever likely to own, and I don't think anything can take away the smile you get on your face everytime that needle glides past 4,500 revs!!

See you in Wales.... hopefully you'll have yours by then :yahoo:

Well comparing an interior rip-out and refit for about £4K or going aftermarket, I'd know what I'd do...

It does far more than satnav, it does info from the car, bluetooth etc. Not just a simple case of ripping it out and replacing it with aftermarket ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Chris, you're bang on the money there.... just heard back from my local Nissan dealer who's been looking into it and basically he's said it would be cheaper to trade the car for a new one!!! Apparently, the whole system would need replacing, as would much of the car's interior, and the cost would be well over 4 grand!! I'm still waiting to hear back from customer services, but I'm guessing I'll just have to count my losses on that one.

Any further update Matt?

Was going to phone customer services myself. £4k is a p1ss take for a Sat-Nav upgrade.

I decided not to persue it any further in the end, although customer services did give they impression that they'd be willing to help out with getting an upgrade. You should definately give them a call if you're still wanting to get yours changed.

Any further update Matt?

Was going to phone customer services myself. £4k is a p1ss take for a Sat-Nav upgrade.

PM'd - hope it is of some help :)

Personally I would be suprised if Nissan would offer to sub much of the cost of changing it. It's pretty common for a new model car to have an early "facelift" and this could include any number of fixes/changes, they could set a risky precedent for themselves if they started subsidising customers upgrading to newer versions of equipment.

The only difference in this instance, is that I have never found a dealer who knew the 2010 model was updated. So you wouldnt know until you bought it - if say you'd seen a 2010 demo, but then bought a 2009 ex dem/pre-reg - without knowing the difference :shrug:

• 1 month later...