Width ?

rew2208

Hi All,

I'm looking at a couple of 350z's tomorrow with a view to making a purchase :)

As I've got quite a small garage I wondered if anyone knew the overall width, including the mirrors, of an '04-'05 350Z ? After doing a few searches I've found the width of the car without mirrors, which I believe is 1,816mm.

One further question, would a UK GT spec car of '04 - '05 have electric folding mirrors ?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Rob.

Hi - thanks all for your replies,

The limitation actually isn't the garage door, it's the gap between the house wall and my neighbours fence. I live on a relatively new estate and they really cram the houses on these days, don't they !

I think I should be OK as my old Mk 4 Golf used to fit, which although not a wide car had very long door mirrors. Googling it, that measured 2,018mm, so I reckon I should be fine B)

If it is a bit tight I'll just need to get into the habit of folding the mirrors in first.

Hopefully a 350Z will be safely tucked up inside my garage in the not too distant future !

Cheers,

Rob.

Was it GT models that had folding mirrors or were they standard on all Zeds?

"Automatic" folding mirrors was standard on all JDM (import) touring models if I believe. Definitely not standard on GT UK models. An extra option I assume as my GT doesn't have them. You would have to manually fold the mirrors with your hands.

had a similar convo with Husky the other day, he didn't believe me when i said the zed was over 14 feet long. I am a handbook geek so.........the book says...........

overall length 4,315mm / 169.9 inches

overall width 1,815mm / 71.5 inches

"Automatic" folding mirrors was standard on all JDM (import) touring models if I believe. Definitely not standard on GT UK models. An extra option I assume as my GT doesn't have them. You would have to manually fold the mirrors with your hands.

Surely they still have electric mirrors though which you press the button and they fold? The only thing I would say is that the wheel arches are quite wide and folding in your mirrors may actually mean that you scrape your arches!

Surely they still have electric mirrors though which you press the button and they fold? The only thing I would say is that the wheel arches are quite wide and folding in your mirrors may actually mean that you scrape your arches!

The mirrors (ie the actual glass inside) move automatically so you can adjust what you see to the side of the vehicle, but the whole wing mirror does not fold automatically so it is flush with the body work (as M3 mirrors do or the JDM models when you turn the car off). It's an extra option on UK GT models definitely up to 2005 (which is my year). Not sure about later 2006/2007 UK models though but even then I believe it is still an extra option in the UK. I don't know of any way to do it by pressing a button inside, other than by moving the mirrors physically with my hands. If there is a button that would be pretty cool (I may well have missed it), just know it does not do it automatically when you turn the ignition off like some cars.

i have to cram my zed down a very thin gap between my neighbors house and a fence. i used to do it with my focus and it would go through without hassle, the zed is a bit more trick only because you cant see where the front wheels/wings are. but it is something like 20mm thinner than a focus

i was actually going to ask the same question about single garages, i have a VXR220 which fits and is wider than the 350 (1815 V 1884) and i struggle to open the door on the VX so tend to roll the roof back and hop out over the door, i'm hoping the 350 fits and i can open the door as i dont think it will be as easy to hop out of a 350 roadster!! unfortunately there is not one near enough my house to test drive and bring back to see if it fits :wacko:

Thanks all for the replies,

To be honest after looking at it again this morning, i'm more worried about scraping the sides of the car than car than catching the mirrors. The opening I have to get through is just over 2 metres wide but I have to drive through it at a slight angle as my garage is offset slightly behind my house. The 350 is around 70mm wider in the body than the widest car I've had in the garage to date which was a 3 series.

I'm just picturing myself bleary eyed one morning restyling both sides of a 350, but not in a good way !

A re-think is required.........

Rob.

i was actually going to ask the same question about single garages, i have a VXR220 which fits and is wider than the 350 (1815 V 1884) and i struggle to open the door on the VX so tend to roll the roof back and hop out over the door, i'm hoping the 350 fits and i can open the door as i dont think it will be as easy to hop out of a 350 roadster!! unfortunately there is not one near enough my house to test drive and bring back to see if it fits :wacko:

Exactly what I had to do when I had my VXR, and it's a damn sight harder to get out of the Zed in my garage. The VXR never had the roof on in the garage so like you say it's a piece of cake to get out of, however I have to park the Zed to one side just to give myself enough room to squeeze out of.

Exactly what I had to do when I had my VXR, and it's a damn sight harder to get out of the Zed in my garage. The VXR never had the roof on in the garage so like you say it's a piece of cake to get out of, however I have to park the Zed to one side just to give myself enough room to squeeze out of.

hopefully it will "just" fit in my garage then, can you hop out like in the VXR?

No chance, you need to squeeze out past the door which barely opens enough to do so and you will catch the side of the seat every single time. The VXR is much easier to escape from in that respect, it's a real PITA in the Zed but it is doable. I just know that one day I'm going to park too close to the left hand side in the garage and then hear that SSSCCCCRRRAAAPPPEEE noise and then cry like a girl :(

I sold my VXR to a mate and still get to drive it every so often, so don't miss it that much at all ;)

I miss the sheer speed of the 116 when on track, but other than that I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. On normal roads the Zed is just as quick due to the more compliant suspension, and of course the comfort factor is a big issue too. The 350 is a far lazier car to drive and less involving, but for my personal driving needs it's more than enough to keep me entertained and not freezing my bits off in the winter is a nice bonus too! One day I'll get something built by Lotus again, but it'll be in addition to a GT car rather than on its own.