FAQ: My boot hatch will not stay up what should I do

beechie

I found this information form a US forum for you, hope it helps. It is from my (prescience) works account which makes it easier for me :)

This post contains one version of the fix.

The second post the same but perhaps with better pics it certainly shows more clearly how to remove from the car - you will note that this refers to a TSB NTB04042.

The third post is an alternative whereby you can attach thin felt or similar pads to the bottom of the rubber surround without removing it - this has a similar effect of compressing the spring. On the plus side, you don't need to remove so much stuff, on the negative these do need replacing.

The fourth post posted by Dr Bonz (better known as Zaino king in the US), this involves removal of a weight in the hatch - don't know any details on this one.

FIRST POST

OK, this is about as easy a fix as you'll ever find. Took me at least 2 minutes and cost a whopping $0.06 (I supersized to 3 pennies on each side).

1) Open the rear hatch

2) Locate the bump stops/openers on each side of the hatch (one on each side pictures in the photo below).

PC200253.JPG

3) Grab ahold of the top and twist it. It doesn't unscrew as you need to align the top of it with the hole in the hatch.

4) You should now have the piece in your hand.

PC200254.JPG

5) Take the correguated rubber housing and move it over the lip of the top of the bump/spring. I've done 1/2 of it in this picture to show you what it should look like.

PC200255.JPG

6) Drop 2 or 3 pennies in the bottom, and re-assemble.

PC200256.JPG

Hope that helps you all out there. If you have any questions, PM me and I'll be happy to answer them.

SECOND POST

Rear Hatch Opening Fix HOW-TO

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any misinformation in this document or any damage that may occur to your vehicle from following this document. Consult your service manual for specific Nissan recommended instructions.

Introduction

Many 350z's suffer the same fate mine did. It usually starts when it starts getting cold; you would hit the trunk release, and it would pop, but would still be caught, requiring a second press of the release, or worse, a slight lift up and then hitting the release again. Usually this starts out intermittent, and gets worse over time. The dealer even replaced my struts, and the problem returned within a year. Nissan finally issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) over the problem, NTB04042, which instructs the dealer to replace the lifting springs. This DIY fix works just as well, and saves you a trip to the dealership.

Tools Required

None! Woohoo!

Recommended Extras

Small Slot Screwdriver

Supplies Needed

4 US Pennies

Start

The culprit of this task is the small boot covered springs located on the underside of the rear hatch. There is one spring mounted near where the hatch struts attach.

14image1.jpg

Rear Hatch Springs

Remove one of the springs by simply grabbing it at the base, and twisting it either direction 90 degrees. The tabs that hold it in place will become free and you can remove the entire assembly from the hatch.

14image2.jpg

Spring Mount Point

14image3.jpg

Spring with Boot

Next you need to pull the boot off the spring. The boot is simply stretched over a lip on the base of the spring. Pull the rubber back away from the base and down away from the base of the spring, working your way around. Once you break the seal, it will come off much easier. This is where the small screwdriver may come in handy if you are having a problem breaking the seal from the base.

14image4.jpg

Boot pulled away from base. Note the lip at the bottom of the black plastic.

Once the boot is free, remove it completely from the spring. Take two of your pennies, and place them flat at the bottom of the inside of the boot.

14image5.jpg

Disassembled Spring and Boot

14image6.jpg

Pennies in the boot

Simply drop the spring back into the boot, and stretch the top of the boot back over the lip of the spring base. Be sure to pull boot up all the way around so its over the lip and snug.

14image7.jpg

Be sure to pull boot all the way back up to the black tabs

Once the boot is secured and even all the way around, simply insert base of spring back into hole in rear hatch, and turn 90 degees to lock in place. Repeat the same steps with the spring and boot for the other side and you're done!

Shut the trunk, hit the release, and rejoice in the magic that is a trunk that opens every time!

FOURTH POST

Another alternative posted by Dr Bonz (better known as Zaino king in the US), this involves removal of a weight in the hatch - don't know any details on this one but he says ......

Also, taking out the weight from under the plastic cover will decrease the overall weight of the hatch and it'll spring up easier. This is especially true if you have a wing spoiler that adds to the overall hatch weight.

The first pic is with the weight removed.

Weight1.jpg

weight2.jpg