Don't Like the 370Z? What Would Change Your Mind?

AK350Z

Yes, its very nice and all, but there would have to be a couple of changes before it would get me reaching for the cheque book. Principly, changes that would make me overlook a couple of the (to me) more dubious styling details - the decrease in storage, the new headlights, and the fangs.

Number 1 - A direct injection engine. Surely this must be on the cards at some point in the future, we had engine revisions in the 350Z, so maybe in 4-5 years time perhaps?

Number 2 - A much lighter "Cup" version. The lard-ass GT-R costs twice as much for the version with a weeks shopping worth of weight cut from the chassis. Lets have something a bit more focused for the 370Z huh? Cos if you made a proper job of it, you wouldn't need those daft £25,000 stoppers would you?

Anyone else, or is it just me? :blush:

After a week of agonising over this very issue I have reached the following conclusions.

I nearly sold my 350z but.... If I was to have a weekend car it would have to be a roadster. They arent available yet. The one thing I HATE about the 370z roadster is that stupid aerial. :scare:

I sat down and had a think. Problem solved. I will be spending some more money on the 350z :teeth:

Which is clean again btw. :p

I like the 370z, the only thing stopping my buying one is £££, you cant get any thing as good for the same money. If I have enough money I would have one, if money was "not a problem" then I think I would still have one, and have a uber car in the garage

I'm a bit disappointed with the 370 as I've said before on here ... for me it's the overall proportion of the car as evidenced in the heavy rear end, together with details such as the fangs (although I think Colin has maybe found a solution to the latter)

I don't know who is responsible for the design, but the 350 came together finally in LA (I think) after a few poorish attempts .........

I would like to see some of the other evolutions for the 370 that were discarded, and wait a few months before I condemn the design out of hand ........... but as I said I am so disappointed that it is not yet growing on me so Nissan willl not be getting my hard earned just yet.

I think Nissan have missed an opportunity ............ I do hope the 350 is not going to evolve in the same way as the 240 which 'blossomed' into the bloated 260 and even more bloated 280 purely to suit the American market.

I'm afraid nothing short of a total rethink would change my mind

ONLY MY OPINION OF COURSE and sorry to all who have/would like one

Number 1 - A direct injection engine. Surely this must be on the cards at some point in the future, we had engine revisions in the 350Z, so maybe in 4-5 years time perhaps?

I read somewhere that this has already been mentioned by Nissan and Infiniti. Infiniti will have it first up in their coupe and then the Zed will get it as a mid cycle refresh. Should release a few more horses, but not that many apparently. Think they said something about 2012 for the Infiniti and a year after that the Zed. I'll see what I can find :)

Rich - Yeah, i have the 309bhp version too, part of the reason I mentioned DI was that the power step-up isn't big enough at the moment.

Martin - did you think about selling it before you cleaned it or after? ;)

And for the purposes of this argument, we'll assume you can afford the upgrade if you wanted to.

It's just you. I'm not trying to be rude, mate...Have you driven one?

:boxing:

I'm personally still not that keen on the stock looks overall. I have seen some modded ones that are superb though. The Nismo for one :cloud9:

However when I drove on the negatives were forgotten. Fantastic car.

I guess the reason I haven't gone for one (besides justifying the cost) is because I know I'd make loads of changes to it so it makes no sense right now.

I'm personally still not that keen on the stock looks overall. I have seen some modded ones that are superb though.

+1

The Zele car for me though :cloud9:

I'm still waiting for the Nissan dealer to call me back about the test drive :yawn: Its only been about 5months :dry:

I'm still waiting for the Nissan dealer to call me back about the test drive :yawn: Its only been about 5months :dry:

You seem to have the same problem as me! Book it through Nissan.co.uk and they will sort it out quick smart! Also ask them about a GTR test drive ;):teeth:

I think the 370z is a bit of a grower compared to the 350z. You need to see it in real life for a decent amount of time to start to like the styling, pictures just dont do it justice. It really does start to make the 350z look a bit dated when you get up close to it properly and drive it, well especially the earlier 350z, I guess the 07+ its not so different and I wouldnt be able to justify jumping from a newer 350z to a 370z.

No, I haven't even seen one in the metal yet, let alone driven one. The main point, primarily regarding the aesthetics of the car, was that I don't think it's such a timeless shape as the 350, and given that, what would sweeten the deal enough for me, or anyone else with similar thoughts to change their mind about buying one.

Would like to see a Nismo version in front of me for a start.

We no doubt shall see if opinions change at Wales in May (or earlier Colin? ;) )

Looks aside, a lot of things that should have been improved over the 350 weren't or are actually worse: Weight, ride, noise, gearshift, visibility, practicality... Yet more tinkering with the VQ engine wont fix those!

The competition (TT, Z4, SLK) has improved a lot since 2002 and we'll get the Hyundai Genesis Coupe this year... I can't see the 370 lasting another 6-7 years before a major overhaul.

We no doubt shall see if opinions change at Wales in May (or earlier Colin? ;) )

Could be ;) I will be checking some of the Welsh roads out at the end of March and that might well include a further trip nothewards, if my work allows :teeth:

You seem to have the same problem as me! Book it through Nissan.co.uk and they will sort it out quick smart! Also ask them about a GTR test drive ;):teeth:

I think the 370z is a bit of a grower compared to the 350z. You need to see it in real life for a decent amount of time to start to like the styling, pictures just dont do it justice. It really does start to make the 350z look a bit dated when you get up close to it properly and drive it, well especially the earlier 350z, I guess the 07+ its not so different and I wouldnt be able to justify jumping from a newer 350z to a 370z.

It is through Nissan.co.uk :dry: I had a call from someone at Nissan UK saying that the dealer in Bath is the only one with a demo car & would phone me to arrange an appointement, that was 5 months ago :yawn: Then about a month ago someone from Nissan UK phoned me to see how the test drive went. I told them I still had not been because the dealer couldn't be arsed to phone me & that I'd bought a porsche instead :blush:

It is through Nissan.co.uk :dry: I had a call from someone at Nissan UK saying that the dealer in Bath is the only one with a demo car & would phone me to arrange an appointement, that was 5 months ago :yawn: Then about a month ago someone from Nissan UK phoned me to see how the test drive went. I told them I still had not been because the dealer couldn't be arsed to phone me & that I'd bought a porsche instead :blush:

Doesnt sound good. I must have got lucky, they asked me what dealer I wanted it at and they would make sure a car was there, and phone me every week until I managed to get it. Only thing that let them down was the weather so it took ages to get a good day to do it. West Way Basingstoke on the other hand we crap! They didnt have the car the first time I went, and when I finally got out, it was on a pre-determined route, which did absolutely nothing to show off the car. I've been over to WLMG in Slough today, and I am one happy chappy ;)

Oh blimey looks like I have missed some interesting stuff on here this past week! :D

Come on Andy you secretly want one I know it ;) I completely agree with your points re looks I've always disliked the fangs but Colins wrap ( sounds like a cheesy 80's dance tune) is the perfect solution - very GTR and easily removed for selling if required.

I am still not 100% sold even of I could buy one but when I did see the blue one at westway Manchester last year it really dated the 06 350z next to it quite badly :surrender:

Mart I didn't realise you were thinking of selling yours? Like you I would probably go for a

roadster version - I can live with the rear flagpole I actually didn't like the look of the 350z roadster originally but I was picking up my brand new Rex at the time but you get used to stuff and you mellow

about certain things you hated before. Driving is the key, soon as I drive one with the roof off well I was sold big style. The 370 will probably go the same way I don't think it has the same road presence the 350 did but it's more evolutionary rather than - wow look at that beast in your face!

The Nismo version does look quite good but Colins White one seems to work well in the standard shape.

For us it will probably be the infiniti route with the g37 convertible for pracitcal family reasons but who knows in years to come. Back to the 370 the interior does have a better quality feel but I thought it looked a bit cluttered. There are obvious parts bin specias in there with he rest of the range but even though it's a smaller looking cabin it actually felt bigger inside? The reduced boot is a problem but still after MR2 ownership not a massive hardship. I like the alloys but Colin tells me they are £2k a pop thy is just extortion - Nissan marketing need to get a grip they are not Porsche - stop ripping people off!!

Anyway just my 50p's worth :blush: