How to - Fix your electric windows (.pdf)

SteveW

I have a spare refurbished motor for sale. This can be handy if you need to refurbish your own motor, A good backup plan if you find out once dismantling the door and motor only to find out the motor is beyond repair as in some cases with members you have this to replace it with. If then not required you can sell it onto the next member requiring to refurbish their window motor. Or if you motor is just buggered and you require a replacement.

please see for sale post here

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=57514

NOW SOLD

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Damn, I was going to attempt this seeing as it's nice outside for a change, but the file isn't working, I can't download it. Has anybody got it and could maybe upload it again for me or even email?

Cheers

• 3 months later...

great guide, but i couldnt get through it as my window is down to the very bottom and immobile. to try and go around it, i tried to see if i could remove the window frame pannel to maybe access the screws, but nissan managed to have one of those screws to be stuck in with a bad thread. it spins but doesnt come out.

Edit: got it to a shop so they removed the screw and re-threaded the nut. with that done i was able to follow the guide. its very basic work and now my window works like a charm.

Thanks for the guide, it sure saved me some money that is now going towards a plenum spacer :teeth:

• 1 month later...

i don't know if i did this correctly but my window worked fine for a couple of weeks and then started to work lntermittently again. i ended up getting a new motor and since then have had no more problems. i guess i was lucky as my car had a three month warranty on it so it didn't cost me anything in the long run. I've noticed that the new motor winds the window down a lot quicker than the passenger side so it looks like i'll be attempting this repair on the passenger side soon. Here's hoping i do a better job as my warranty no longer valid. A brilliant guide by the way :)

• 1 month later...

Guys,

If anyone is pondering on whether they should give it a go, I would highly recommend they would. I am by no means a mechanic or a technical person. I have never dismantled a car door let alone a 350Z one. Just follow the guide step by step to the finest detail in order to avoid any mishaps and in 3 hours you will have a functioning window without spending any money.

I have a 2008 and the passenger window was the problem. To remove the door card I found a short guide from the following site

http://my350z.com/forum/audio-video-and-electronics-diy/407151-2008-door-panel-removal-front-speaker-install.html

Then used Steve's guide to do the rest. I should thank Steve himself for the 'online' help he provided while I was doing the job.

Window is functioning well and hope it will for a long time. I am happy to help if anyone has any questions as I am sure all the others would.

• 3 weeks later...

My passenger window isn't dropping when you open/close the door, so I'm continually asking passengers to close the door gently.

Is it likely that I'll need to follow the guide to clean the motor brushes ?

(the window goes up/down perfectly)

And if I'm being super lazy, any thoughts on how much it should cost to have done at one of the garages ? (approximately)

My passenger window isn't dropping when you open/close the door, so I'm continually asking passengers to close the door gently.

Is it likely that I'll need to follow the guide to clean the motor brushes ?

(the window goes up/down perfectly)

And if I'm being super lazy, any thoughts on how much it should cost to have done at one of the garages ? (approximately)

Might just need the reset procedure - pinched from Steve's guide (and you need to remove the door card):

"Wind window up right to the top without using the auto feature.

Press and hold the motor reset switch located under the motor behind one of

the stick on pads

Lower the window to the very bottom, do not use the auto feature

Release the reset switch

Wind the window back to the top, do not use the auto feature"

• Like 1

Hey Rob,

Hope you're well and still enjoying the car :)

This might be helpful to save you some time faffing around. I did the reset procedure on the passenger window whilst I had the car and it worked for awhile, although the window was dropping an inch or so which is clearly too much.

As far as I know you can clean the motor up if you want to try that before fitting a new one......

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Attempted the motor fix today (both sides) and am over the moon. An excellent guide that clearly identifies each step and makes the process both straight forward and simple. I now know what it is like to drive the zed with the windows down, LOUD. I have owned it for 10 months now and cant believe I have put it off for so long!

The carbon bushes are pretty much at the end of their tether, but they should last a few months.

Thanks Steve :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just thought I'd add - My window has been temperamental I.e. Some weeks it works fine, other days it wont work at all.

Last Saturday it was stuck down for 4 days. Driving home from work, I thought I'd try a neat little trick....I punched the door card :lol: Just above the controls, it wasn't like I was the hulk punching it, just a weighty tap.

And pooof, now it works :) Must be a loose connection in there somewhere.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd add - My window has been temperamental I.e. Some weeks it works fine, other days it wont work at all.

Last Saturday it was stuck down for 4 days. Driving home from work, I thought I'd try a neat little trick....I punched the door card :lol: Just above the controls, it wasn't like I was the hulk punching it, just a weighty tap.

:lol:

If in doubt give it a dam good hit! I had the skipping Bose and only one speaker working issue, a good hit and it would always work again!

If in doubt give it a dam good hit! I had the skipping Bose and only one speaker working issue, a good hit and it would always work again!

It's broke again :lol: Lasted a day, enough to roll the window up!

Ah bugger, how about another thump ;)

Ah bugger, how about another thump ;)

I tried :( Didn't want to thump and hard or I'd go through it :lol:

• 4 months later...

This is a great guide - thanks very much!

A tip for anyone about to follow it, do close the door before you do the window reset at the end. The guide does say this but it's not clear that closing the door is vital for the window to perform correctly (I expect the door-closed nipple is key to this).

I didn't, and the window would wind all the way down but would only go about a third of the way to the top. I had horrible thoughts of having to open everything up again and reseat the motor in the spooling mechanism, but I re-read the guide, closed the door and hey presto :teeth:

Just wanted to add my thanks for this guide, followed it exactly, gave the motor and bushes a good clean and hey presto, the window works perfectly again! Should add that I don't normally attempt anything as technical as this, but this guide gave me the confidence to do it, felt like Ed China out of wheeler dealers after :)