Pulled by Police re Number Plate

larsdowg

:bang:

Bollocks!!! Just got pulled for my plates I have had on my car for 4 years like this, by an unmarked BMW 5 series.............

Fine £60 and given 1 strike apparently............. 3 and they take my plates of me!!

I have been given 28 days to pay the fine and 14 days to change my number plates to correct spacing, apparently his gun couldnt pick them up, and then I was told if the car was stolen blah blah blah we are doing you a service blah blah blah its easier to catch criminals............

hmmmm thanks

Quick pop round my Grans house and arrest her, I think last time she was shopping at Asda she ate a grape out the bag before paying :rant:

why is it a plate has a value on it as posted on the DVLA site??

Why is it K1 NGS is worth over £100,000 and the DVLA will sell it to you?

Surely if it didnt look 'like' something it would only be worthless, but the DVLA (according to the bobby in blue) are apparently now having a mass crackdown on these types of plates............ now they have sold them all to people out there and made billions of pounds in profit!!!

:rant::rant::rant:

So keep ya eyes peeled if you have a slightly tweaked private plate everyone........

Anyway rant over, just needed it off my chest.......

Happy Sunday evening everyone.....

Rik aka Larsdowg over and out

The DVLA didn't tell you to space it incorrectly though...

And before anyone says anything, I've been done for mis representation of a number plate twice! :blush:

Just space it normally and it'll look fine. If it doesn't, sell it.

iv been done before but i got done one day and told to change them then the next day i got pulled again so £30 fine each time and 2 strikes even though i explained that i was on my wqay to change them when i got pulled and explained that i was just puled 24 hours ago but he was a tw@t and said it was already logged so had to pay 2 fines :rant:

iv sinced corrected the spacing on my plate :thumbdown:

I do think its completely wrong that they can see a plate as being more valuable purely because it can be misspaced to spell something. IMO they should all be the same price on the DVLA site if they say you cant misspace them :angry:

i have no plate at the front at the moment, and everyone who admires the car, the first thing they say is where is your plate, but it makes it fairly obvious that the police will notice this :blush: its currently in the windscreen and i thought that was adequate for now, but apparently not according to the coach man.

was told recently by one of the coach drivers that he had taken the plate off his manta, and got find £150 for not having a plate as it was an MOT failure. not sure how true this is, i thought they tell you to fix it within a time limit, didn't know they fine you now as well.

if i get a vinyl plate (sticker type number plate) and its all spaced legally and sized perfectly (its not personalised) should that be ok?

i just don't want to drill holes in my new bumper, or mount that horrible plastic thing that comes as standard, and sticky pads leave a horrible residue, so i hope that vinyl was a better approach. but i have a feeling its only allowed on cars of a certain age.

i like the plates that other people have on their nismo bumper which are tiny tiny, but i fear i'm more likely to get pulled with that than a vinyl job. (i won't make it myself i'll get someone like craigplates to make it.)

i have no plate at the front at the moment, and everyone who admires the car, the first thing they say is where is your plate, but it makes it fairly obvious that the police will notice this :blush: its currently in the windscreen and i thought that was adequate for now, but apparently not according to the coach man.

was told recently by one of the coach drivers that he had taken the plate off his manta, and got find £150 for not having a plate as it was an MOT failure. not sure how true this is, i thought they tell you to fix it within a time limit, didn't know they fine you now as well.

if i get a vinyl plate (sticker type number plate) and its all spaced legally and sized perfectly (its not personalised) should that be ok?

i just don't want to drill holes in my new bumper, or mount that horrible plastic thing that comes as standard, and sticky pads leave a horrible residue, so i hope that vinyl was a better approach. but i have a feeling its only allowed on cars of a certain age.

i like the plates that other people have on their nismo bumper which are tiny tiny, but i fear i'm more likely to get pulled with that than a vinyl job. (i won't make it myself i'll get someone like craigplates to make it.)

Nope vinyl plates are not legal!

Just stick it in the grill area, it looks better than stuck on the front edge of the bumper.... As long as the letters are correct size and spaced you can reduce down on the size of the plate...

I once had a fine while i wasn't even driving the car!!

i had plates that had the honeycomb effect from back in the days and i woke up one morning to find a ticket stuck to my windscreen.

i though it was one of my mates having a laugh with a parking ticket but after reading it was shocked.

they stopped at 1 in the morning to give a parked are a fine!!!

wan!ers!!

i had plates that had the honeycomb effect from back in the days and i woke up one morning to find a ticket stuck to my windscreen.

i though it was one of my mates having a laugh with a parking ticket but after reading it was shocked.

wan!ers!!

Shocking mate you would think they would have better things to do!

R

wan!ers!!

Shocking mate you would think they would have better things to do!

R

thats what i said to the missus!!

i cant believe they even spotted them!!

i never got a fine or anything for mine - just a vehicle defect notice. Had to present the car at an MOT centre with correct spaced plates on. Kept them legal since then as can't be arsed...........

i never got a fine or anything for mine - just a vehicle defect notice. Had to present the car at an MOT centre with correct spaced plates on. Kept them legal since then as can't be arsed...........

yeah thats what my old man had with one of his plates.......... just an MOT centre producer, he is now back on old plates......... hopefully he won't get done too!!

This 'crackdown' has been well publicised............it is true that it means some cameras cacn't read the plate properly................but apart from that I do think it is just a moneymaking exercise :thumbdown:

true............. :thumbs:

it will hurt the DVLA in the long run as people wont buy plates like BO 11 OCK if they cant respace it :D

Fine £60 and given 1 strike apparently............. 3 and they take my plates of me!!

So the fine went up as we were told in Wales, but they didn't give you any points for it?

No points, a £60 fine..........but as say been driving around for 4 years with these plates and not pulled once.

I'm either lucky by sounds of it or............... well, they are having a crack down.

They are going to make a killing if they are, I have a 5 mile drive to work and see about 10 dodgy private plates a day, uaually different ones when stuck in traffic............ might try and get an invite to the DVLA/Policemans ball think it will be a good one this year!! :thumbs:

Lars

back in May, the police at Chester told us they were getting more strict from June or July and that the fine was going up to 60quid. I see loads of badly spaced, wrong font, or coloured screws to change the letters every week. Seems you got unlucky.

Rich my plan with my front plate is to get a one made slightly smaller than standard with slight spacing reduction to make the plate alot smaller and put it over the towing eye hole in the front grill but im going to keep the rear plate fully legal so hopefully will attract alot less attention ;)

Well thats the plan anyway :disguise:

well mines had the bandsaw treatment this morning, its got about 3mm left around the letters. will be wet and drying it at lunch, and then put it through the buffing wheel.

would like smaller letters and spacing, but not sure how easy it would be to get away with.

like you its going on the towing eye cover. will test later. i just don't want it to cover the typhoon intake.

Sorry I don't have any sympathy for this.

It is quite clear not to mis-represent your number plate. Plus for some time now (about 3 years) you cannot buy number plates unless you present your V5 and some ID. Garages, motor factors and shops like Halfords have to "by law" print their name on the bottom of the plate, so the plate is legal and meets the required size and spacing. All other plates that don’t meet the required spec will be advertised as "show plates" and are totally illegal for road use.

The DVLA do not encourage mis-representation of number plates. They advertise numbers as they should be displayed and if a name or a word number can be made by altering the spacing then this is mis-representing the number and is breaking the law. Check out the DVLA site - it is all on there how to be road legal. This is not new its been going on for a long time especially if you are a biker.

well mines had the bandsaw treatment this morning, its got about 3mm left around the letters. will be wet and drying it at lunch, and then put it through the buffing wheel.

would like smaller letters and spacing, but not sure how easy it would be to get away with.

like you its going on the towing eye cover. will test later. i just don't want it to cover the typhoon intake.

what is the legal limit round the edge of the plate? ie how much can you cut off close to the lettering?

I might chop mine down a bit (the correctly spaced ones that is) as they have a lot of overhang :thumbdown: