TWO test drives and still not really sure?

rudeboy

hi folks,

This is coming to be my 6th year of Z ownership and I know in my gut that I need to get shot of the car as I am no longer putting any more coats of Zaino on it.

So I, maybe like others on this forum, am wondering if I should continue my relationship with NissanGB for another 5 years... and need some feedback from you folks as to what to spend my 30k on :headhurt:

-So last week I popped down to WLMG in Mill Hill and drove the blue 370Z auto, after TWO test drives here are my feelings:

1. Very very fast but more 'refined' - seems to be more reassuring i.e. I saw the needle hit 100 (ish) and it seemed planted, dare I say, not as RAW as the 350. (maybe it was the autobox).

2. Interior more upmarket, but really not feeling the suede/alcantara as I feel this will not wear well? Definitely not thinking of going persimmon as I wear jeans and fear that it might be a royal pain to maintain? (regardless of all the claims of using scotchguard etc)

3.Noise - 370z just sounded as if it wanted to pick up every pebble from the tarmac on the road it got a bit irritating after 30mins in the car (I had to turn on the radio), the 350z can be noisy but at least sounds 'exciting', 370z sounds dull?

4. Sat Nav - really wanted to like it until I was told it doesnt do post codes, really like the interface and dials etc - is it worth having?

5.Wot Colour? I dont want another GM/Silver, girl hates the White, what about the blue?

6.After my TWO drives I walked away wanting to REALLY LOVE the car, but I couldn't, I just dont feel the adrenalin running like the first time I set eyes on the 350z.

...8 years ago I walked into the local Nissan and asked the Micra salesguy if he would take a deposit on a car he'd never heard of, I showed him the Jap 350z hardback promo booklet and then gave him £500.

...A year later they told me that in order to buy the car I was 'required' to purchase the GT PACK with RAYS.

...6months later, while I was in NYC, Nissan called me and asked me to hand over 2k.

ALL THIS without even sitting in the car! AND that allocation was sold out in 15mins!

...Then I remember driving to the ACE cafe and meeting a bunch of other nutters that had taken this big walk of faith and said to myself - this is the start of a something special and I feel glad to be part of it - the rest is history.

Somehow, I just don't feel the same passion/excitment this time round - is it me or am I expecting too much from this one?

Sorry for sounding a little negative, just thought I'd reach out to you folks as its driving me insane at the moment!!!

BTW - I am also testing a Z4 3.0 sDrive, Cayman 2.9 and TTS anyone had experience on these cars compared to the new 370?

-cheers

I've seen a few 370s in the flesh, but not driven yet, so can't comment there. One of the guys here already has his blue 370 to go with his Daytona Blue (Azure to you lot :lol: ) 350, the blue of the 370 looks almost without any metallic in full sunlight, at night you can see a bit more of metallic/pearl.

Used Cayman S 3.4 would be my choice every time for that sort of money in a coupe. If you didn't find the 370Z to be that good after two test drives then it's not the car for you: I knew the 350 was right for me after 30 secs of driving it, and that was after a few other test drives in other cars too.

Wow, rudeboy, 3 years and this is your first post! Welcome! :wave:

I understand what you're saying. I suppose Nissan was never going to create the same buzz as they did when bringing the Zed brand back from the wilderness and hitting the bullseye first time with the looks and drive. Its a very different matter replacing a successful and critically acclaimed model, especially when the design is more polarising.

I'll be interested to see if you get that buzz you're looking for from the others. The only one I've not driven is the Porsche but I found the BM and TTS too refined and grown up to give me that Zed-feeling. You may actually come out of this with your love for the 350 re-invigorated...

Keep us updated. :thumbs: