The 350z-uk PET thread!

Stew

Sorry to hear that pete you get attached to them so easily , and it really pulls heart strings when there so vulnerable and get ill, gotta fight for him if he isnt suffering though.

we used to have another kitten called jericho before leo and houdi who they replaced he was boos brother ,we found out he had spinabifda after 6 months and we just couldnt bear to put him down, we fought like crazy but wasnt to be eventually his heart gave up on him and he left us. I wonder sometimes if i should have let nature take its course but when you love em its hard.

Houdini is a savanha hes still a young un 8 months old Boos bout 18 months and leonidas is couple weeks younger

i hope the little one pulls thru pete

The kitten has survived the night :). He was snuggled up to his mum this morning and looked like he was feeding but I'm going to carry on feeding him with kitten milk for a while longer. If he is feeding then that would increase his chances of survival and it could be that the drugs are kicking in. Fingers crossed.

Pete

• Like 1

we used to have another kitten called jericho before leo and houdi who they replaced he was boos brother ,we found out he had spinabifda after 6 months and we just couldnt bear to put him down, we fought like crazy but wasnt to be eventually his heart gave up on him and he left us. I wonder sometimes if i should have let nature take its course but when you love em its hard.

i hope the little one pulls thru pete

We once had a grey male cat and when he was about 10 months old he went off his food and one of his eyes clouded over. Sadly it turned out to be feline peritonitis which is always fatal. However, the vet put him on a course of drugs and a weekly steroid injection. He picked up quite quickly, his eye cleared up after a few months and all looked pretty normal. The vet was amazed, he said he'd never seen a cat last more than 6 months but Squeek as we called him lasted 12 months before it reoccured and this time there was no coming back for him.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

Its with a heavy heart that I have to inform you that the little kitten passed away late last night. Despite another visit to the vet yesterday and some concentrated efforts to get him to feed he just wasn't strong enough to survive. There was no sign of infection, no vomiting or diarrhea and he didn't have cat flu or anything like that, I'm pretty upset about it. Our attention now has to turn to the remaining 3 kittens, 2 of which are also quite small. So far they all look very healthy, they are feeding off their mum and the large one is eating solid foods, the smaller ones have also started picking at solids. The mother is a very small cat which could be a contributing factor and I'll be keeping a very close eye on their progress.

On a lighter note here's another cat in box photo :) taken a few minutes ago.

P1017073_zpskrnozr5r.jpg

Pete

• Like 1

To add to that, Caroline phoned me up from work yesterday to say there was a dead cat on the road about half a mile away, one of her work colleagues had seen it on her way to work. The description matched one of the 3 cats that hadn't come in for their breakfast so fearing the worst I drove up there. There was no cat so clearly it had been moved from the road as its quite close to the County Council Highways depot. 2 of the missing cats arrived before dinner time but not the one I suspected it could be. It was 4 o'clock before she came in and I don't think I've ever been so relieved to see her. I still feel a bit sad as I think I know who owned that cat and how they must be feeling right now. Having pets certainly has its rewards but sometimes it can be so painful.

Pete

• Like 1

IMG_20160605_115851_zpsuf0wvt74.jpg

IMG_20160516_140705_zpslvzujka3.jpg

IMG_20160423_002913_zpsgzcfdmkd.jpg

My two! Both jack russel x pug...the older is Millie and she is 3 now, the little one, Louie, is about 6 months!!

Either very lazy or constantly fighting but wouldn't live without them!

• Like 3

^^ Awesome looking little dogs James. B)

Do people normally calls those a "Jug"?

Just sure that I've heard that the Jack Russel & Pug crosses are nicknamed that. ;)

Haha yeh that's it....I'm not really into that designer dog stuff though 😂

And these 2 are about the size of a cat, so near enough haha!

^^ Awesome looking little dogs James. B)

Do people normally calls those a "Jug"?

Just sure that I've heard that the Jack Russel & Pug crosses are nicknamed that. ;)

Haha yeh that's it....I'm not really into that designer dog stuff though 😂

And these 2 are about the size of a cat, so near enough haha!

Thought so. I think they're wicked looking little dogs.

I prefer smaller dogs tbh for so many reasons, not least they most likely won't eat you, ..well not all of you in one go. :dry::lol::D

• 1 month later...

I acquired this new 'pet' last week.

In all honestly I don't know how I feel about it (and don't know what the hell to do wit it either - probably something to antagonise the neighbours with).

'He' belonged to a family friend who died earlier this year and had been living in some stables for the last 5 months. Was covered in bird muck and faced a certain and undignified ending in a skip and I was offered it for free. I love animals and hate 'trophy killings' but the idea of it decaying in landfill seemed equally wasteful. I've got a few vegan friends who no doubt would utterly disown me if they knew I had it.

Having said that I don't know if it would have been a trophy kill or it might have been farmed for meat. It's an alligator (not a croc) and I think they're farmed in the southern US states for food? It's also thought to be pre 1949 but have no documents or anything.

The cats aren't fussed in the slightest. In fact one was sick on it yesterday as I had to clean a furr-ball off him :/

But for the sake of this pic I'm gonna let Bronx think he caught it ;)

Out of interest - where do others stand on this sort of thing? Like I said I absolutely hate folk who hunt (the grief I give to my other half for being a country bumpkin and shooting rabbits in his youth is a testament to this!). But when it's been dead for 50+ years and looked to end up in landfill it kinda brings new questions to the debating table.

S.

ps it's 11 foot long.

Jeorge_and_Bronx.jpg

Honestly Squee I think I'd try to sell it, possibly just give it away to a Museum or similar place that might be interested in displaying it.

It wouldn't be something I'd want in my house personally but some people like that sort of thing so you might get some cash for it. You could always give the cash to an animal charity then if you wanted to or simply keep it for yourself. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Well funnily enough the kids attraction the 'Crocky Trail' is about 1/2 a mile from my house so might see if they want it (even though it's an alligator but let's not sweat on the small details). OK, it might scare the kids but anyone who knows the place will know that the owner is far more terrifying than a dead reptile.

It's certainly been an interesting one for debate and seeing how opinions differ depending on what sort of animal is on display. There is no way 100% if it was a dead mammal I'd have it in the house. But then again I don't have a problem with leather shoes and they come from mammals. But equally I wouldn't keep a pet bird as I dont like the idea of keeping things like that in a cage.

I guess it's the 'glorification' of the thing which is so abhorrent. But it just seems wrong 'binning it' too.

Thanks for your input all - genuinely interesting!

S.