Another 370z test drive story

5tu

Well i had the chance to, so it'd have been silly not to. After all the comments about it looking better in the flesh i would have to say that it does. But not by much. Maybe it was the brown colour....

Car was a GT spec manual so i was looking forward to seeing what the synchro rev match was like.

With the salesman busy with another customer i killed time with a quick look round the car. Sitting inside you do notice the improved interior. The dash seems more vertical so i felt closer to the window. Probably get used to that after a while. The multi function gauge is nasty. The line of red LED's for the fuel and temperature looks cheap. While its nice to have a glove box i'd kinda miss the big bin behind the passenger seat. There's a shelf but its not exactly spacious. Boot seems shallower too. I could be wrong. Also with the sub moved to the boot you're losing the space saver. May or may not be an issue depending on how you feel about the spray can replacing it. That's the boring stuff out of the way. :lol:

I get the keys and push the starter button. There's a quick roar of the exhaust. Not as nice as a 350z IMO. Off we go. Salesman tries to direct me out a long straight road but i tell him i'd rather check out the handling thanks. First chance i get i floor it. Damn it feels quick. Pulls far harder from low down than my '04. Having read all the reviews mentioning the noise of the engine i did think how bad can it be. They were right. It is bad. Just a noise. Not the sportiest engine note i've ever heard. This wouldn't be so bad if you could hear the exhaust, but you can't. It's all the worse when the synchro rev match does its thing (the actual important rev matching bit is very good). It just reminds you of the noise again. I wonder what difference an air filter and exhaust change would make. The noise is what brought a smile to my face when i first got a 350z and for me the 370z is a step backwards in that area. Also there is more road noise than in my 350z. Both it and the 370z are running 19's. Very surprised by that considering its supposed to be a bit more refined. This is a shame as the actual handling and braking are so good.

Overall the car is better. But as mentioned elsewhere on the forum it doesn't blow you away like the 350z did first time. Maybe that's because i'm used to the performance more and it's not such a big step up. I'm in no rush to change. I really wanted to like it. Was the next logical replacement. I've no idea what car i'll ever change to now.

Who knows, maybe it'll grow on me :p

I drove one yesterday and although the quality seemed a lot better, I missed the harshness of the 350z. It felt more like driving a big BMW than a 2 seater for some reason. It has got a sexy rear too but the front is god damn ugly :p

It seems a little odd to me that for the sake of only a few hp they went with a new engine when the 313 bhp MY07 was such a peach. By all accounts the new lump doesn't sound great at high revs which is where the old engine was beautiful (IMHO of course) and a logical development of the 276/296 ones. I know that its used in a number of applications and perhaps Nissan thought it was a good trade for the increased power and torque but it seems a missed trick in a sports car.

Careful, Matt will be on in a minute... :ninja::boxing:;)

So now I've got Bennet wanting to share a tent with me and you staring at my arse? Think I better put the Zed up for sale and get something else if this is what you lot are like :lol:

It seems a little odd to me that for the sake of only a few hp they went with a new engine when the 313 bhp MY07 was such a peach. By all accounts the new lump doesn't sound great at high revs which is where the old engine was beautiful (IMHO of course) and a logical development of the 276/296 ones. I know that its used in a number of applications and perhaps Nissan thought it was a good trade for the increased power and torque but it seems a missed trick in a sports car.

Careful, Matt will be on in a minute... :ninja::boxing:;)

The engine didn't feel any different to me really. Well, not like a totally new engine but they couldn't exactly release a 370 with a 350 engine could they?! The only thing that really interests me is the bolt-on ability that this new engine is meant to have.

Boot seems shallower too. I could be wrong. Also with the sub moved to the boot you're losing the space saver. May or may not be an issue depending on how you feel about the spray can replacing it. That's the boring stuff out of the way. :lol:

If you look underneath the mighty space saver should be there. ;)

Boot seems shallower too. I could be wrong. Also with the sub moved to the boot you're losing the space saver. May or may not be an issue depending on how you feel about the spray can replacing it. That's the boring stuff out of the way. :lol:

If you look underneath the mighty space saver should be there. ;)

Car was a GT spec manual

GT spec in the UK comes with Bose and the setup replaces the space saver and it is replaced with a can of 'get you home.' I had the car in bits when I went to look at it.... :blush:

GT spec in the UK comes with Bose and the setup replaces the space saver and it is replaced with a can of 'get you home.' I had the car in bits when I went to look at it.... :blush:

Hmm, maybe there is a slightly different setup in the UK ones. The full spec one I had a look at in the showroom, and one of our guys has purchased one, have a space saver and the AMP gear in the boot for the Bose.

Stew sounds like you did what I did and took all the bits out in the back and had a good nosey around, whilst the salesman watched on closely. Not quite knowing what to think. :lol::lol:

Ive just driven a gt ultimate spec in auto, had it to myself for 90mins :teeth::teeth: I have similar views, the exhaust sounds poo, the steering very numb. looks like its on stilts, you cant see the climate control lights when driving (the ac and auto), they have used the same gear surround as the manual and just put a blank over the s-mode button. When in drive the kick down is very slow and the paddles dont move with the wheel :bang: . thats the negative stuff out the way, A great power increase (probably the gearing in the 7speed auto) lovely and smooth when in drive, switch it to semi-auto and up changes are quick, it blips the throttle on down changes and makes you really wanna go for it. I think the handling for the brittish roads has been greatly improved. Oh and its just as good to drift as the 350 :p

Would I get one? Im not actually sure, if I could get it to sound like a 350 and lower it 20-30mm without affecting the handling to much, YES

Ahh I get you...Agree Rank colour!!! - Doesn't do the car any favours at all.

You made the right choice with white. Let us all know if you can fix that engine noise when you get yours.

Then we can all jump aboard the 370z bandwagon :teeth:

Will do Stu!

Iv'e already spoken to the nearest NPC about sorting the exhaust and they haven't heard anything yet...I was hoping someone on here would have a suggestion or 2!!

First thing after picking the car up will be scouring around for a new Xhaust

Wont be long before you all realise the error of your ways and come over to the 370 dark side :lol:

PS..Saw a brown one today on the A14 !!! :lol:

Will do Stu!

Iv'e already spoken to the nearest NPC about sorting the exhaust and they haven't heard anything yet...I was hoping someone on here would have a suggestion or 2!!

First thing after picking the car up will be scouring around for a new Xhaust

Wont be long before you all realise the error of your ways and come over to the 370 dark side :lol:

PS..Saw a brown one today on the A14 !!! :lol:

Speak to Adam at Z1. They're way ahead over in the States and will already have some aftermarket exhausts. Take a look at his site. :thumbs:

Had the privilege of taking out the 370 Ultimate on my own for a few hours today, sheer horror was upon me when I noticed the gear stick was one of those automatic thingy's, Oh how wrong was I !!! I agree with all the negative comments below but found the gear box fantastic, down shift was very smooth once you get used to it & the power just doesn't stop coming. It has some unusual features which at first annoy you but give it time & it certainly grows on you. Build quality is much improved all round & i was pleased to read they've improved the finish of the paintwork. Cornering very sharp & wow what have they done to the brakes?? My 350 has recently had new redstuff pads on OEM discs & they simply don't compare.

Would i buy one ? Yes was my answer until i got back in the 350, This a bare bones drivers car, the 370 isn't! It's missing that something special that we all felt & heard when we first got our 350's.

++ Where's the Nismo kit ??