Top 100 FAQs - must read! *WIP*

Chris`I

Q: Can I mix and match different types of tyres?

A: No, not if you enjoy living.

Q: What is typical MPG?

A: City: 17 - 23 mpg, Motorway 27 - 32 mpg

Q: Is Zed ownership expensive?

A: Yes (Relatively speaking for a 3.5L rear wheel drive sports car, it's about what you'd expect)

• Like 1

What are the Standard colours available?

Basic____Name_________Type_____Code

Silver____Blade_________Metallic___KYO

Grey_____Gun Metal____Metallic___WV2

Black____Kuro Black____Solid______KH3

Orange__Sunset_______Metallic____A17

Red_____Chilli Pepper__Solid_______AX6

Blue_____Azure________Metallic____B17

Others, there may be more

Black - Ebisu

Orange - Temper

Dark Blue - Night Blue

Sorry don't knoe the codes

Black - Black Pearl - Metallic - G41

Maybe only '07 onwards.

That explains it, I thought my wife was in the boot (thank God she doesnt read this).

Q.What is the high pitch whine coming from behind me? Sounds like a stereo being on, but with no sound?

A.Could be one of two things..

1. The fuel pump is fitted behind you. It could be that.

2. The amps for the stereo are also behind you and are on all the time. Even when the stereo is not on.

N.B. A Tonneau cover can help with both of these issues.

Q. My headlight washers don't work, any tips?

A. Make sure your washer bottle is filled ALL THE WAY UP. Your windscreen washers can work with a low washer bottle level, but your headlight washers may not.

• 7 months later...

Q. Why did Nissan only make one of the electric windows automatic so you have to hold the other down the entire time it operates?

A. ?

Q. Why did Nissan design it so that you have to depress the clutch to start the 350Z?

A. Security / safety / random quirky feature?

Q. What is a Tonneau cover and what does it do?

A. ?

A cover that fits inside the arch of the strut brace in the boot, blocking occupant's and people outside the car's view of the boot. It effectively splits the boot into 2 compartments.

Kind regards,

Hassan

How about this sort of thing?

The top ten issues relating to Z ownership with typical repair cost by garage and self repair.

Issues,, Fix,, Contact,, DIY repair cost,, garage repair cost,,

1. Window motor u/s ,, Clean motor/replace brushes/replace motor,, ZmanAlex etc (link to repair),, £0 to £200,, £500+,,

This in a table format!!

ETC.

Please add your own.

Q: What is a pop charger?

A: A cotton gause filter similar to that of a K&N, name was coined by a US company Jim Wolf Technology (JWT). It has a venturi ring which is meant to improve performance. They add a great sound too!

Q: I need a weird part and the dealer wants a fortune for it, where else can I get it?

A: Our traders, specifically ZMANALEX and R35LEE can help out

Q:What is JDM/USDM?

A:JDM - Japanese Domestic Market, USDM - United States Domestic Market

Q:What Bulbs sizes?

A:

Front:

Headlight - Xenon D2R 35w

Main beam - H7

Sidelight - 501 (5mm Wedge)

Indicators - T20 (20mm Wedge)

Sides:

Indicators - 501 (5mm wedge)

Rear

Indicators - Orange T20 (20mm Wedge)

Reverse - Clear T20 (20mm Wedge)

Fog - Clear Or Red T20 (20mm Wedge)

Rears - Leds (not sure of type but should never need to replace)

Q: What are Test Pipes?

A: Again a phrase coined in America for testing the catalyic converters (cats). They replace the original cats with a straight tube to measure emissions. Although not illegal, these will not pass any emission tests which is illegal. They are usually refered to decat pipes in the UK

Q: I need an OEM component X to sort problem Y. Where can I get it?

A: PM R35LEE or ZMANALEX

Q: What is a plenum spacer?

A: The stock plenum slopes down towards the front of the engine. Nissan designed this in order to clear the stock strut bar and hood on the 350Z (function after form). This sloping design restricts the airflow to the front cylinders, but an aftermarket plenum can help the front cylinders breathe. Aftermarket plenum spacers either increase the overall height or remove the downward slope in the design, allowing more volume and greater airflow to all cylinders. Higher airflow is needed to achieve more power.

Q: What is the best modification to increase BHP in a stock 350z?

A: Because of the effectivness of the adaptive ECU in the 350z most power upgrades are ignored. The only way to fully maximise performace additions is to either fit a piggy back ECU or have the stock one remapped in order to alter the fueling thus increasing BHP.

Q: What is FI and NA?

A:

FI - Forced Induction: This is when air is forced into the engine by means of a Turbo or Supercharger.

In short:

More air means more fuel is injected

More fuel and air = bigger explosions

Bigger explosions = Serious Power

NA - Naturally Aspirated: This is the method in which the stock 350z allows air into the engine. Air is drawn in via the filter, throttle body and pleum naturally as the fuel ignites.

Q: What does DTE stand for?

A: Distance To Empty

Q.What is the high pitch whine coming from behind me? Sounds like a stereo being on, but with no sound?

A.Could be one of two things..

1. The fuel pump is fitted behind you. It could be that.

2. The amps for the stereo are also behind you and are on all the time. Even when the stereo is not on.

N.B. A Tonneau cover can help with both of these issues.

Q. My headlight washers don't work, any tips?

A. Make sure your washer bottle is filled ALL THE WAY UP. Your windscreen washers can work with a low washer bottle level, but your headlight washers may not.

Q. Why does is my BOSE headunit skipping?

A. Short answer ... they just do. Get it replaced OR repaired with a new disc drive as it is the laser that is at fault (sensitive to condensation

Q. How much is it to TAX a 350Z?

A. Before 2006, it is £245, After and including 2006, it is £435.

(Prices good at date of posting)

Q:What are the Standard colours available?

A:

Basic____Name_________Type_____Code

Silver____Blade________Metallic___KYO

Grey_____Gun Metal____Metallic___WV2

Black____Kuro Black____Solid______KH3

Orange__Sunset_______Metallic____A17

Red_____Chilli Pepper___Solid______AX6

Blue_____Azure________Metallic____B17

Blue_____Black________Metallic____G41

Q. What is Alezan?

A. This is a colour (supposedly to reflect the name of a breed of horse with the same name) which the was an option for seats (and steering wheel) on the GT car.

Q: why is there a bolt sticking out the front wheel hub that stops my spacers fitting?

A: It matches a cut out in the original front wheels that stops the larger rears being fitted. Remove the bolt.

Q: Can I mix and match different types of tyres?

A: No, not if you enjoy living.

Q: What is typical MPG?

A: City: 17 - 23 mpg, Motorway 27 - 32 mpg

Q: Is Zed ownership expensive?

A: Yes (Relatively speaking for a 3.5L rear wheel drive sports car, it's about what you'd expect)

Q. What is a Tonneau cover and what does it do?

A. A cover that fits inside the arch of the strut brace in the boot, blocking occupant's and people outside the car's view of the boot. It effectively splits the boot into 2 compartments.

Q. Why did Nissan only make the driver's electric window automatic?

A. Because of EU safety laws in place to prevent accidents occurring with them.

Q: What does DTE stand for?

Not mentioned in "The Glossary" thread and you can't search as it's only three characters long.

I know what it is, just not what the abbreviation stands for.

Distance To Empty

For once in my life I got in 1st

Not according to your wife.......... :p:p

Q: Do all Z's make a "clunk" or "chatter" sound when disengaging the clutch? Is it normal to hear a whirring or slight grinding noise when the clutch is engaged at idle?

A: Yes, these sounds are totally normal. Furthermore, the Z's transmission is rather noisy. Shifts will seem especially noisy when you are in an enclosed parking lot, tunnel, etc.

Q: I hear a clicking sound sometimes. What is that? Sounds like it's coming from the rear of the car?

A: Beware of a slight metallic clicking sound coming from the rear of the car. It is due to the rear axle not being properly lubricated. If your car has this problem, you will usually hear this clicking sound when (1) in an enclosed space or driving near a hard wall, (2) driving without radio and with the window down (try turning off A/C if you still aren't sure), and (3) starting to move from a halt. The clicking sound is more pronounced while turning, or so it seems.

If you have the clicking, your car is due for a "Technical Service Bulletin" or "TSB" repair for rear axle clicking, which is covered under warranty. Take it to a dealer, and don't leave until they agree to fix it.

Q. What are the service intervals on the 350Z?

A. As everyone seems to have different ideas on when servicing is due and what it comprises I thought I'd list all of the relevant info in one thread.

(This assumes an annual mileage of less than 18,000 miles a year and is taken directly from the Nissan Maintenance booklet pages 18 and 19)

At 1 Year or 9,000 miles (whichever sooner) P1 service

At 2 years or 18,000 miles (whichever sooner P2 service (plus brake fluid change as extra item at additional cost)

At 3 years or 27,000 miles (whichever sooner) P1 service (plus coolant change as extra service item at additional cost)

At 4 years or 36,000 miles (whichever sooner) P3 service (plus brake fluid change as extra item at additional cost) - though P2 is exactly the same as a P3

At 5 years or 45,000 miles (whichever sooner) P1 service (plus plugs changed as extra service item at additional cost)

At 6 years or 54,000 miles (whichever sooner) P2 service (plus brake fluid change plus coolant change as extra service items at additional cost)

At 7 years or 63,000 miles (whichever sooner) P1 service

At 8 years or 72,000 miles (whichever sooner) P3 service (plus brake fluid change as extra service item at additional cost) see note above about P3 vs P2

At 9 years or 81,000 miles (whichever sooner) P1 service (plus coolant change at additional cost)

At 10 years or 90,000 miles (whichever sooner) P2 service (plus brake fluid change and airbag system inspection as extra items at additional cost)

As you can see, the brake fluid should be changed every two years (or 27,000 miles if sooner) (regardles of the service due at that time) and the coolant every three years (or every 36,000 miles if sooner). Plugs are changed at 5 years (or every 54,000 miles if sooner).

Hope that helps everyone and stops the repeated questions. Any comments welcome (Post by Lincolnbaggie).

P1 (basic oil change and inspection); P2/P3 (oil change and air filter change and inspection). Apart from that nothing is really done on the 350z above an inspection (don't really know what we are paying for if truth be told).

Q. Does the iPhone 3 / 4 work with the 350Z OEM Bluetooth Adaptor?

A. Yes

Q: I'm getting new tires on my Z, do I need to do anything to the TPMS sensors? Do they need recalibration?

A: No, there's nothing that needs to be done. The sensors are mounted to the wheels, not the tires.

Q: Will stalling out numerous times in a short amount period give me a "Check Engine" light?

A: Don't ask me how I know, but yes. If you stall it many times in a row with a MT, the light will click on.

Q: What is the paint code for Brembo brake calipers?

A: Unfortunately, Brembo doesn't sell the paint or publish the formula. Forum member ChinaClipper has found a matching paint in the form of Humbrol 54 hobby paint.

Q. How do I find out an error code?

A. Do this: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=89 and use a camera to film the Malfunction Indicator light while you do it. The code will flash up. Flashes come in bursts like morse code and can be deciphered into individual numbers. The code repeats continuously, it is not longer than 4 numbers!

Q. What does my error code mean?

A. Here's a list: http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index.php/ECU_Reset#Error_Code_Definitions

Q. How do I reset the ECU?

A. Like this http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=89 If you're having trouble and you don't think it's due to your timings, try making the 10 second hold periods longer, that worked for me.

Q: Do I have to use Super Unleaded Petrol?

The brochure indicates the 350Z uses 98octane fuel, however in other countries this has been banned or phased out. Is this something that may be planned for the UK? Is it possible to use 95 octane?

A: Yes, the brochure recommends using 98 octane and all the performance figures quoted are achieved using 98 octane. As far as we are aware, there are no plans to phase out 98 octane unleaded fuel in the UK. The 350Z will run without any problems on 95 octane unleaded. There will be some loss of performance as a result (about 15PS) but no long term effects on the engine.

• 1 year later...

Q: Do I have to use Super Unleaded Petrol?

The brochure indicates the 350Z uses 98octane fuel, however in other countries this has been banned or phased out. Is this something that may be planned for the UK? Is it possible to use 95 octane?

A: Yes, the brochure recommends using 98 octane and all the performance figures quoted are achieved using 98 octane. As far as we are aware, there are no plans to phase out 98 octane unleaded fuel in the UK. The 350Z will run without any problems on 95 octane unleaded. There will be some loss of performance as a result (about 15PS) but no long term effects on the engine.

Wrong! It will mess up your engine! Just ask Mark @ Abbey! Or most members. Thread somewhere out there showing damage.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have read that only bridgestone SO2 tyres are supposed to be used for the car, and that changing to other manufacturers can cause adverse effects in terms of handling and performance - is this true? in terms of oversteer / understeer / etc, as the tyres are set up to the car's handling dynamics. Is this something one would notice on the road, or not? What are the bridgestones like in the wet? Any other really good tyres to shod the zed in?

also what are the exact differences between the model years (can't find the thread on this)

• 3 months later...