Top 100 FAQs - must read! *WIP*

Chris`I

Please post your top asked questions (with answers) here and I'll add them to a master thread and tidy it up when we have a nice number :thumbs:

Q: What is a pop charger?

A: A cotton gause filter similar to that of a K&N, name was coined by a US company Jim Wolf Technology (JWT). It has a venturi ring which is meant to improve performance. They add a great sound too!

Q: I need a weird part and the dealer wants a fortune for it, where else can I get it?

A: Our traders, specifically ZMANALEX and R35LEE can help out

Q:What is JDM/USDM?

A:JDM - Japanese Domestic Market, USDM - United States Domestic Market

Q:What Bulbs sizes?

A:

Front:

Headlight - Xenon D2R 35w

Main beam - H7

Sidelight - 501 (5mm Wedge)

Indicators - T20 (20mm Wedge)

Sides:

Indicators - 501 (5mm wedge)

Rear

Indicators - Orange T20 (20mm Wedge)

Reverse - Clear T20 (20mm Wedge)

Fog - Clear Or Red T20 (20mm Wedge)

Rears - Leds (not sure of type but should never need to replace)

Q: What are Test Pipes?

A: Again a phrase coined in America for testing the catalyic converters (cats). They replace the original cats with a straight tube to measure emissions. Although not illegal, these will not pass any emission tests which is illegal. They are usually refered to decat pipes in the UK

What is a popcharger?

Answer:

The pop-charger name was coined by a US company Jim Wolf Technology (JWT) but at its simply an induction kit, other similar examples are produced by K&N, Pipercross

What is JDM/USDM?

Answer:

JDM - Japanese Domestic Market

USDM - United States Domestic Market

What Bulbs?

Answer:

Front:

Headlight - Xenon D2R 35w

Main beam - H7

Sidelight - 501 (5mm Wedge)

Indicators - T20 (20mm Wedge)

Sides:

Indicators - 501 (5mm wedge)

Rear

Indicators - Orange T20 (20mm Wedge)

Reverse - Clear T20 (20mm Wedge)

Fog - Clear Or Red T20 (20mm Wedge)

Rears - Leds (not sure of type but should never need to replace)

What are Test Pipes?

Answer:

Again a phrase coined in America for testing the catalyic converters (cats). They replace the original cats with a straight tube to measure emissions. Although not illegal, these will not pass any emission tests which is illegal. They are usually refered to decat pipes in the UK

Q: What is a plenum spacer?

A: The stock plenum slopes down towards the front of the engine. Nissan designed this in order to clear the stock strut bar and hood on the 350Z (function after form). This sloping design restricts the airflow to the front cylinders, but an aftermarket plenum can help the front cylinders breathe. Aftermarket plenum spacers either increase the overall height or remove the downward slope in the design, allowing more volume and greater airflow to all cylinders. Higher airflow is needed to achieve more power.

Q: What is the best modification to increase BHP in a stock 350z?

A: Because of the effectivness of the adaptive ECU in the 350z most power upgrades are ignored. The only way to fully maximise performace additions is to either fit a piggy back ECU or have the stock one remapped in order to alter the fueling thus increasing BHP.

Q: What is FI and NA?

A:

FI - Forced Induction: This is when air is forced into the engine by means of a Turbo or Supercharger.

In short:

More air means more fuel is injected

More fuel and air = bigger explosions

Bigger explosions = Serious Power

NA - Naturally Aspirated: This is the method in which the stock 350z allows air into the engine. Air is drawn in via the filter, throttle body and pleum naturally as the fuel ignites.

Some for the moment....feel free to amend any of it if you want to use it.

R

A: The stock plenum slopes down towards the front of the engine. Nissan designed this in order to clear the stock strut bar and hood on the 350Z (function after form). This sloping design restricts the airflow to the front cylinders, but an aftermarket plenum can help the front cylinders breathe. Aftermarket plenum spacers either increase the overall height or remove the downward slope in the design, allowing more volume and greater airflow to all cylinders. Higher airflow is needed to achieve more power.

:offtopic: sorry

How then does the plenum with spacer fit under the strut bar if nissan determined it wouldnt originally?

:offtopic: sorry

How then does the plenum with spacer fit under the strut bar if nissan determined it wouldnt originally?

The spacer comes with washers & the strut bar is adjustable :)

The ARC strut bar fits over the spacer with no need for washers, the Cusco & stock ones need washers

• 1 year later...
Q: What does DTE stand for?

Not mentioned in "The Glossary" thread and you can't search as it's only three characters long.

I know what it is, just not what the abbreviation stands for.

Distance to empty

Not mentioned in "The Glossary" thread and you can't search as it's only three characters long.

Distance To Empty

For once in my life I got in 1st

Q.What is the high pitch whine coming from behind me? Sounds like a stereo being on, but with no sound?

A.Could be one of two things..

1. The fuel pump is fitted behind you. It could be that.

2. The amps for the stereo are also behind you and are on all the time. Even when the stereo is not on.

N.B. A Tonneau cover can help with both of these issues.

Q. My headlight washers don't work, any tips?

A. Make sure your washer bottle is filled ALL THE WAY UP. Your windscreen washers can work with a low washer bottle level, but your headlight washers may not.

Distance To Empty

For once in my life I got in 1st

You "arrived" first, probably wouldn't go shouting about that :p

Seriously though, thanks for that, had been bugging me. :thumbs:

What are the Standard colours available?

Basic____Name_________Type_____Code

Silver____Blade_________Metallic___KYO

Grey_____Gun Metal____Metallic___WV2

Black____Kuro Black____Solid______KH3

Orange__Sunset_______Metallic____A17

Red_____Chilli Pepper__Solid_______AX6

Blue_____Azure________Metallic____B17

What are the Standard colours available?

Basic____Name_________Type_____Code

Silver____Blade_________Metallic___KYO

Grey_____Gun Metal____Metallic___WV2

Black____Kuro Black____Solid______KH3

Orange__Sunset_______Metallic____A17

Red_____Chilli Pepper__Solid_______AX6

Blue_____Azure________Metallic____B17

Others, there may be more

Black - Ebisu

Orange - Temper

Dark Blue - Night Blue

Sorry don't knoe the codes