Slight "burning" smell when accelerating very hard

matth76

The other day (when the car was fully warmed up) I reached a long open dual carriageway, was already rolling along slowly, and accelerated hard up through the gears. I had the air con on as it was quite warm outside that day. When I was hitting the very high revs (with the rev limiter light coming on in each gear) I could detect a slight smell which I thought seemed similar to burning but wasn't distinct enough to worry me, however the cabin seemed quite warm (which I know will happen as the engine heats up dramatically) but then cooled down. However a couple of days later I decided to test it again and sure enough (air con was on again and moving from a rolling start) accelerated hard and car pulled very hard as always but just noticed a slight burning smell and cabin did warm up slightly but car was fine, drove very fast, and oil pressure, water temps all absolutely normal. Oil levels absolutely fine too when I checked a day later. In fact car has not used up any oil since buying the car back in Feb. It's a 2005 gt model.

Only thing I can think it could be clutch burning smells (or something electrical which seems odd that hard acceleration would cause this).

Has anyone else experienced this happen when accelerating?

Thanks for any help and info.

Hi

Sometimes I would experience the same--If you feel the passanger and driver footwell it will be quite warm--Nissan placed the cats directly below this area. I notice the smell sometimes basically if i have the window open a bit and if I have ragged the car on. I believe it is the exhaust fumes and the cat burning dealing with a build up after a lot off about town driving--Just to be safe i would get the car up on a ramp and have a look underneath to check that all heatshields are still in place :thumbs:

• Like 1

Car has done 40k miles and I know some clutches go at this mileage. Cheers for the replies. I didn't think it was anything to worry about and at worst it is the clutch as I know the 350z has a very weak clutch compared to most cars. My exhaust does have a slight blow in it so that could also account for the smell..not sure.

Cheers

Matt

Coolant is exactly the same a week afterwards. Thanks though. If I notice the smell again I'll try what you suggest. I revved the car hard the other day (when fully warmed up of course after a min of 15mins of driving) and no smell at all.

• 2 months later...

I'm also having this problem. It smells like clutch to me, but i'm not experiencing any slippage(!). Its definetely not tyres and, like you, my exhaust is blowing ever so slightly. I'm not too sure what to do about it, in an ideal world i'd have the lot out, new zorst, fly-wheel and clutch, but i just cant afford that kind of thing at the moment!

Are there any other signs to look out for if you think your clutch is on the way out?

Could be any number of things but if you require a clutch kit then I have them all in stock good to go.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=27436

Cheers,

Alex.

Thanks man, will bear you in mind when mine finally pops. Its a mod i've wanted to do since I bought the car, I'm really not a fan of the dual mass fly. Guess im just waiting for a good enough excuse to load up the credit card again!!

• 3 years later...

Apologies for dragging this thread up after been 3 years of being dormant,

I have recently purchased a 2005 GT model and have been experiencing a burning smell under very hard acceleration when the revs stray about 5k.

I can only smell this when the window is down and the smell instantly dissapears as soon as it came when normal speed is resumed.

All fluid levels remain the same as the previous week and the car is always allowed to reach full temperature before any spirited driving takes place.

Did anything come from the feedback from this thread? I appreciate the car will be working very hard when under this kind of acceleration but should it be making this smell. My only concern is if it was coming from the exhaust surely I wouldnt be able to smell it as I am sat in front of the exhaust pipes, which would mean the smell is coming from the engine? Car is on 30,000 miles, and on the original clutch but there are no signs of any slippage. During normal running there are no burning smells at all.

Apologies for dragging this thread up after been 3 years of being dormant,

Gold Stars for using the search! :)

I also get this when revving hard, but the smell is gone when I stop and check. I am going to put it down to the cats (And material inside) heating up... It's a logical explanation as it isn't a clutch smell, rather a sooty burning which would again point to the cats. If you're worried and there is nothing else obviously wrong with the car, then take it somewhere to get looked at by a proffessional.

I get it too and always put it down to exhaust

you'd think with so many of us experiencing it that we would know what it is exactly by now.

It would be interesting if someone who used to get the smell had it disapeer after running decats or switching to hfcs????

You say you have recently bought the car - maybe the previous owner was, er, a little more gentle on the power and you are burning off some excess build up on the outside of the exhaust with it getting that much hotter. ;)

Also, you mention the extra heat in the cabin - footwell area I guess and again this would be the exhaust that runs close to the floor. You will also notice when the car door opens extra heat coming from the use of the air-conditioning - all quite normal.

If it were the clutch you should be able to distinquish that smell from other 'burning'.

But there is always the chance something has got caught on the exhaust (not unknown e.g. plastic bags), so check it out for peace of mind.

Have you checked under your car or in your engine bay? Look out for oil leeks or sludge near the bottom? It can be a number of many things everyone's mentioned.

Clutch does have a distinctive smell but unless you're dumping the clutch at a high rpm causing it to slip a bit or if it's warn and struggling to bite at high speeds I doubt it.

Tyres? Again distinctive rubber smell but also doubt it cos you'd have to be wheel spin or slam on your brakes or go sideways to get that smell. :)

Lastly most likely the exhaust. It can get red raw if driven hard at the front so any small oil spills or previous leaks on or around the exhaust would start burning off causing the smell.

• 1 year later...

I would check your Belts, specifically the one with the air con on it. If its loose/worn it will slip thus air con is not turning as it should when you accelerate hard. On mine it has one belt but on older car's you have three belts. They are cheaper about £10.00p ish but you need to lift car up to get under it and replace it. the smell is the belt rubber giving in under the heat and extra loading from acceleration. I would try this first as it is cheap compared to a new Clutch.

I would check your Belts, specifically the one with the air con on it. If its loose/worn it will slip thus air con is not turning as it should when you accelerate hard. On mine it has one belt but on older car's you have three belts. They are cheaper about £10.00p ish but you need to lift car up to get under it and replace it. the smell is the belt rubber giving in under the heat and extra loading from acceleration. I would try this first as it is cheap compared to a new Clutch.

The last post #22 is 2 yrs old!!!