Slight "burning" smell when accelerating very hard

matth76

• 1 year later...

I used to get the distinct clutch smell (it would linger even after the car has pulled up and you could smell it when you step out) then one day the clutch went and it got replaced.

However the smell under hard acceleration past 4k rpm still remained. It's a different type of smell to the clutch one i had before (clutch smell is much more potent) Like others it's only really noticeable with windows down, and goes away after a few seconds of letting off the pedal. Since i can disregard the clutch being new, i put it down to cat's / exhaust like others have.

Edit: I also disregard belts because they have been changed recently too.

Edited by DarmoZ

• 3 weeks later...

I also second this opinion of Exhaust/Cat buildup. I have experienced this during warm conditions and booting it. I now have a new full cobra exhaust system with cobra CATS and an uprev and haven't had this issue since but i expect it to come back one day. I believe it to be a build up from inner city driving (my Work commute is 6 miles tops) then opening her up. Since I've had the upgrades though she gets opened up all the time (OMG the sound). either that or my clutch will go at some point, either way don't worry

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
I also second this opinion of Exhaust/Cat buildup. I have experienced this during warm conditions and booting it. I now have a new full cobra exhaust system with cobra CATS and an uprev and haven't had this issue since but i expect it to come back one day. I believe it to be a build up from inner city driving (my Work commute is 6 miles tops) then opening her up. Since I've had the upgrades though she gets opened up all the time (OMG the sound). either that or my clutch will go at some point, either way don't worry

Interesting, my OEM cats will get replaced with brand new Berks soon, followed by uprev, hopefully the smell will go after as it has done on yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the cats burning of crap, most performance cars do it, you just can't usually smell it.

If you find it smells a bit musty or chemical-like as some put it - even if the car's already warm - the first time you absolute bury it for a sustained period, but each time you do it after that it's less or gone, it's almost certainly that and nothing to worry about.