Dyno results info thread

IanS16

I am happy with it....i have to say ive had a lot of fun with just the pops and bangs alone....makes traffic more interesting. I hear that HDev have recently made their dyno more conservative.....(probably more realistic) which will explain why i didnt miraculously start with 300hp on a DE

• 2 weeks later...

2006 DE (40k on the clock)

borla TD exhaust

HDev plenum

High flow Cats (still trying to figure out which they are!)

very happy with with the results - massive thanks to the guys at Horsham!

E94D49FB-F02E-4817-AFC6-6BDCD2AA4A22.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Been on the dyno today in the Netherlands. 

Engine vq35de non revup

Mods:

- Berk HFC

- Circuit Werks Ypipe

- Mishimoto filter box

- plenum space

Engine has run 200.000 kms and I have tuned the AFR with uprev myself.

Eninge hp: 281

Engine NM: 320 (stock is 363 :( )

Dyno 350Z

20180928_114754.jpg

IMG-20180928-WA0000.jpg

Edited by Bakkums

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2018 at 11:01, Bakkums said:

Hello,

Been on the dyno today in the Netherlands. 

Engine vq35de non revup

Mods:

- Berk HFC

- Circuit Werks Ypipe

- Mishimoto filter box

- plenum space

Engine has run 200.000 kms and I have tuned the AFR with uprev myself.

Eninge hp: 281

Engine NM: 320 (stock is 363 :( )

Dyno 350Z

20180928_114754.jpg

IMG-20180928-WA0000.jpg

Edited by PPod

Took my '58 plate HR to Horsham on 16/10/18, was cool to see the process and would recommend them for sure.

55k on the clock, running Tesco momentum 99.

I went to them with low expectations of getting no more than around 320 fwhp, was more after improving the drive, fueling and feel.

Engine mods:

Injen long tube CAI.

DC sports SS exhaust manifolds.

Torqen HFC.

Custom cat back exhaust (Infinity exhaust in Bristol).

Results:

First dyno: 329.6 fwhp / 272.9 whp

After map: 338.5 fwhp / 280.7 whp

Really happy with that especially as I have been advised by a few people against the manifolds and CAI when I was doing my research pre-purchase - One of the highest HR's they had seen @H-Dev that's non FI apparently, and the drive is WAY smoother and more enjoyable now!

Have also attached a picture showing the temperatures as I've been advised previously that long tube CAI suffer from heat soak (which is why I went for black Injen's over Stillen), but on this you can see (even just a fan in front of the car) that temperature on intakes is slightly lower than ambient, so actually driving this would be lower still.

IMG_2481.JPG

IMG_2482.JPG

IMG_2486.JPG

IMG_2488.JPG

Edited by Foo56
typo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

259whp (306bhp)

253ftlb

JM Imports Dynojet

syvec ecu

v+ Plenum

NWP Bigger TB

K&N FILTER 

BERK HFCs

Cobra back box

Bumper vent

R35 Injectors 

since this I’ve added Injen twin exhaust, I’ll be adding NOS and having the map tweaked at some point soon. 

47A93E41-FBBA-46D8-96A2-F1D3DA78D71F.jpeg

56891B82-1399-4DAF-A290-583BE1841A7D.jpeg

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Judge said:

2008 350Z VQ35HR

Motordyne ART Pipes, Powerflow CBE, HKS Super Hybrid Panel Filters

Unknown Dyno @ TDI North

311 whp

250 ftlb

IMG-20190127-00125.jpg.9b7d0fa7fd0fd00e58e086ccc82d89db.jpg

Not sure if I am reading this wrong, says BHP on the graph which is measured at the flywheel not the wheels ! Why does the top end of the power and torque band peak and trough so much ? 

On 27/01/2019 at 15:47, Dave6188 said:

Not sure if I am reading this wrong, says BHP on the graph which is measured at the flywheel not the wheels ! Why does the top end of the power and torque band peak and trough so much ? 

The HR has 306 bhp and 268 lbft stock. So assuming that dyno is accurate, those can't be flywheel figures because it would mean the modifications gained me 5 bhp and LOST 18 lbft. I've test driven several HRs with similar mileage and maintenance and mine is considerably quicker. So I'd say those are wheel figures but might be a bit optimistic.

I have no idea about the weird peaks and troughs at the top end. It certainly doesn't drive like that! I just assumed it was a glitch with the dyno system so didn't ask the tuner. What I did ask was why the tuned peak figures were only 3 bhp and 4 lbft higher than pre-tuned. He said the gains were “subtle”. For £450 I'd say “disappointing” is a better description. But I did get some bottom end and mid range gains, the removal of the throttle response delay in the first three gears, and the slightly rich AFR was corrected.

EDIT - Looking at this again, what also doesn't make sense is the speed shown at peak power. If it was 4th gear, how could it be 117mph at those revs? I have a stock final drive so the speed should have been ~127mph. Maybe it was a typo...

Edited by Judge

5 minutes ago, Judge said:

The HR has 306 bhp and 268 lbft stock. So assuming that dyno is accurate, those can't be flywheel figures because it would mean the modifications gained me 5 bhp and LOST 18 lbft. I've test driven several HRs with similar mileage and maintenance and mine is considerably quicker. So I'd say those are wheel figures but might be a bit optimistic.

I have no idea about the weird peaks and troughs at the top end. It certainly doesn't drive like that! I just assumed it was a glitch with the dyno system so didn't ask the tuner. What I did ask was why the tuned peak figures were only 3 bhp and 4 lbft higher than untuned. He said the gains were “subtle”. For £450 I'd say “disappointing” is a better description. Having said that, the bottom end and mid range gains are noticeable, as is the removal of the throttle response delay in the first three gears. He also corrected the slightly rich AFR. So overall I was / am happy. :)

HR is 313BHP if I remember correctly.

Per the Dyno sheet for my HR done at Abbey Motorsports with an UpRev & DeCats it was running at 297.2 WHP - around 337 at the fly according to Mark who works there.

311BHP is pretty high compared to stock, but wouldn't surprise me as being correct - all Dyno's vary slightly ayway

9 minutes ago, Kryptek49 said:

HR is 313BHP if I remember correctly.

Per the Dyno sheet for my HR done at Abbey Motorsports with an UpRev & DeCats it was running at 297.2 WHP - around 337 at the fly according to Mark who works there.

311BHP is pretty high compared to stock, but wouldn't surprise me as being correct - all Dyno's vary slightly ayway

It's 313 PS, which is 308 bhp. But I used the figures 306 bhp and 268 lbft as they're the ones most often used on various websites. :)

If you still have a stock cat back exhaust then those figures sound about right to me. But as you say, all dynos vary.

2 hours ago, Judge said:

I have no idea about the weird peaks and troughs at the top end. It certainly doesn't drive like that! I just assumed it was a glitch with the dyno system so didn't ask the tuner. What I did ask was why the tuned peak figures were only 3 bhp and 4 lbft higher than untuned. He said the gains were “subtle”. For £450 I'd say “disappointing” is a better description. Having said that, the bottom end and mid range gains are noticeable, as is the removal of the throttle response delay in the first three gears. He also corrected the slightly rich AFR. So overall I was / am happy. :)

Works out at around 357bhp at the flywheel then, I'm going to guess it's a Dynojet going by those numbers 

On 28/01/2019 at 22:07, evilscorp said:

18mins to tune... wow... don't think I've ever been in and out that quick. DE's must suck as when mine was N/A I was lucky to get just above 290BHP, surprised HR's make that in WHP.

18 minutes between runs 3 and 4, not 1 and 4. But it was still only about 1 1/2 hours total and I got charged for 3 hours which I'm not especially happy about.

Edited by Judge

10 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Reads as a 4th gear pull also, irrc 5th is the preferred gear for Dyno runs?....

I asked about that as well and he said he didn't like doing runs in 5th because of the speed... :shrug:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

Pretty sure 5th is a better 1:1 ratio for the transmission. I'm not entirely sure what effect gear choice has on dyno pulls lb-ft figures :headhurt:

You're right. I guess he didn't fancy doing ~160mph. If that was the case he should have asked me to drive it!

• Haha 1

On 29/01/2019 at 12:11, Judge said:

You're right. I guess he didn't fancy doing ~160mph. If that was the case he should have asked me to drive it!

4th is generally the preferred gear for power runs, usually the most direct ratio 1:1. Also the figures on the sheet are BHP, N/A cars are never going to yield fantastic gains, but making good your AFR is never going to be a bad thing, although it would have been nice and safe at the top end with that AFR. It’s also not beyond the realms of possibility that an inefficient hand built Power Flow exhaust could loose you power especially in the Y pipe. When i used to run a dyno we always had a “special” BMW M3 Mode because the average person would have been a little upset if a car left after a map only making “stock” power, the fact is they consistently made significantly less than BMW claimed as their figures were engine out of the car with a different intake and exhaust. BHP is basically a best guess and there are a few ways of calculating it. WHP is where it’s at, just not as good for the old pub talk. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, VRRacing said:

4th is generally the preferred gear for power runs, usually the most direct ratio 1:1. Also the figures on the sheet are BHP, N/A cars are never going to yield fantastic gains, but making good your AFR is never going to be a bad thing, although it would have been nice and safe at the top end with that AFR. It’s also not beyond the realms of possibility that an inefficient hand built Power Flow exhaust could loose you power especially in the Y pipe. When i used to run a dyno we always had a “special” BMW M3 Mode because the average person would have been a little upset if a car left after a map only making “stock” power, the fact is they consistently made significantly less than BMW claimed as their figures were engine out of the car with a different intake and exhaust. BHP is basically a best guess and there are a few ways of calculating it. WHP is where it’s at, just not as good for the old pub talk. 

For the 6 speed manual 5th gear is the 1:1 ratio.

I agree the Powerflow is possibly not the best CBE on the planet, but I doubt it has lost me the power and torque that the ART pipes gained me. So the results are either over-reading WHP or under-reading BHP. But either way they're probably not very accurate.