Another window problem

jim

I don't think this is the same issue as experienced by some others in recent threads, and I don't think the standard window reset procedure will help.

Quite suddenly, my passenger window has just stopped working altogether. It doesn't drop and return when the door is opened and closed, and when the buttons are pressed I can hear a click, possibly from a relay, but nothing happens - won't go up or down at all. The drivers side window works as normal.

Any help or advice in trying to trace the problem and resolve it would be most appreciated.

Try giving the door a bang & see if you can drop it then. I had the same issue when my window motor failed & the only way I could recreate it when it went to Nissan was to bang the door :)

I don't think this is the same issue as experienced by some others in recent threads, and I don't think the standard window reset procedure will help.

Quite suddenly, my passenger window has just stopped working altogether. It doesn't drop and return when the door is opened and closed, and when the buttons are pressed I can hear a click, possibly from a relay, but nothing happens - won't go up or down at all. The drivers side window works as normal.

Any help or advice in trying to trace the problem and resolve it would be most appreciated.

and the window lock button is DEFINITELY not pressed in?

Absolutely - first thing I checked to avoid embarrassment. (I've read all the previous posts about this!)

Absolutely - first thing I checked to avoid embarrassment. (I've read all the previous posts about this!)

Tried both sides buttons? to eliminate it being your switch atfault?

Tried both sides buttons? to eliminate it being your switch atfault?

Yep - tried that too, and I've tried banging the door and giving the door card a thump - all to no avail so far.

I'll have a quick look in the service manual, but I think I'd take the door card off and see if anything obvious is unconnected before visiting the stealers. Its only a 5 minute job. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the exact same problem. However, it's temperamental, sometimes works sometimes doesn't.

You can hear the relay clicking from both window switches (you can't when the window is disabled). It still seems to drop and rise with the door opening though (so far).

Any help is appreciated. I assume a loose connection or some sort.

Cheers

Mine started working again for no apparent reason, but it is now intermittent. I think partly it is to do with the fact that the passenger window is used very rarely and the mechanism is sticking. I've tried running it up and down a few times every day recently and it seems to be a bit better. However, the motor is making strange noises sometimes so I think it is only a matter of time before it packs in altogether.

I'll keep running mine up and down when it works to see if it improves. I imagine there is a loose contact somewhere.

Has yours caused any problems yet with the window dropping to close the door? My biggest fear is it doesn't drop and the glass isn't lowered and then someone slams the door.

If I can find a solution (motor/switch/relay replacement) I'll do it straight away, just need to pinpoint the exact problem.

Has yours caused any problems yet with the window dropping to close the door? My biggest fear is it doesn't drop and the glass isn't lowered and then someone slams the door.

Yes - it did that a couple of times, but it just seems to be able to slide into place if you don't try to force it too quickly. At worst, it is maybe scraping a bit of paint off the underside of the roof panel.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just brought 350 at the weekend, knowing that the passenger window wasn't working. I was planning to take it the dealer, however from looking at these posts it seems that I should look into it further before paying their fees!

Any suggestions? How easy is it to take the door card off? Are the regulators/motors common failures?

Cheers :)

ok so the bit below may be really confusing and really needs pictures to explain. if you are not interested in the intricate workings of a window regulator please look away now!!! :lol: This is the most boring thing youll read all year.

if the system is anything like the system on my old mitsi gto which i think it might be.

a wire is attachced at one end to the window, it goes along the length of the regulator and round a plastic wheel and into some covering which for the life of me i cant remember its name (steel wrapped in plastic to keep tension). the cable then passes through some springs to keep tension on the system and into the motor housing. in here it spirals round a reel a number of times, (perhaps 5) to aid in gripping the cable and provide the reeling in/out action . at the centre of the reel this length of cable ends with a block hooked into the plastic of the reel. another cable starts, again hooked by a metal block and continues round the reel before exiting the housing and going through another spring, down the sheathing, round the other pulley and then attached to the window.

the purose of having 2 cables is to give fixing ends to attach them to the reel preventing slippage. basically when the window is all the way up, the point where the cables cross over and enter the reel is at the top, and as you wind it down they travel to the bottom. the amount of cable wound round the reel is equal to the distance the window travels.

the motor uses a worm and worm gear attached to the face of the reel to turn it. this worm gear arrangement is what prevents you from pushing the window down yourself.

if the cable is reeled out to far it will be damaged. also the reels grooves the cable sits in wear over time and so the cable falls out the groove and winds itself up in a ball and ruins the regulator.

80720-CD001.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hmm, interesting my car has just started doing this on the drivers side window.

Every so often it will stick and not move, its happened with the window fully up and sometimes in the middle. You can hear the relay clicking when you press the buttons or open and close the door but when its stuck it won't move which suggests its sticking somehow or becoming wedged thus when the switch is pressed the motor thinks the window is fully up or down because something is causing a fair bit of resistance.

The only way I can get it to work again is by pushing the window down very slightly by hand, then the window starts to work again by the switch.

I'm going to take the door card off as soon as I get chance to see if anything is catching or obviously sticking and put some lubrication any place it looks like it should be. Its very annoying mainly because its intermitent!

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I've noticed this morning that it seems to be getting worse, it pretty much stiocks every time now.

However it also did something very bizarre. on opening the door the window dropped, to about one inch from being fully open.....

I'll try resetting the encoder first and lubricating everything and see where that gets me.

BTW where did you get your new motor from and how much was it?

Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...