Japspeed K1 vs Japspeed K2

BulletMagnet

i think im going to ditch my k2 as well, its now making a horrid rattling sound when cold, plus the noise around 2k revs is deafening in the cabin, also makes my eyes go blurry! i do my best to avoid 2k revs now!

The rattle is the inside skin of the exhaust tips, they go loose over time thus producing the rattle, once warmed up it goes away as it expands with heat.

As to the noise, I don't have that on mine...

oh so its not in the baffles of the actual box then? it does go away when warm as you say, but its not a good image to have a rattling exhaust, makes it look like you're driving a bag of bolts! i was considering changing the rear for a scorpion set up with non resonating centre pipe, the current setting is just too loud

• 2 months later...

The best way is a slide hammer.

Alternatively I have a tool I made out of a bit of 8mm rod. Basically bend a hook at one end then add a second 90 degree bend so you can pull hard.

It's basically an L shape with a hook bent in at one end.

Beware though the K1 is very loud when the bungs are removed!

So today I took the baffles out and OMG !!! It was so loud, the pressure in my eardrums felt like I was at an underwater rave, but take it over 4000 rpm and ooooh ! What sweet music, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, unfortunately I'm dribbling between Torquay and Newton abbot most of the time so the baffles are back in tomorrow : (

Can anyone tell me what a popcharger is ?

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought a JapSpeed K1 off ebay, brand new with 24 hour delivery for £210.

At first looks the quality is quite good.

It came complete with gaskets and bolts.

JapSpeed%20Exhaust%2001.JPG

JapSpeed%20Exhaust%2002.JPG

JapSpeed%20Exhaust%2003.JPG

I will be fitting it this weekend, weather permitting.

Edited by PAK999

I love the sound of my K2. Perfectly subtle on tick over and then the sound is imense higher in the revs. Quality isn't bad for the price but I found the outer sleeve on the rear tail pipe came loose which was making an awful rattling sound. I had to spot weld it to fix it in place which isn't ideal but did the job. I think for the price it's an excellent exhaust and a good all rounder for the road/daily.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Choice is obviously down to the individual. I fitted a K2 today and I chose the right one for me. I'm over 50 so don't want anything too noisy and annoying especially on the motorway. Also, and this is important for me, I want to keep the visual originality of the car and the K2 is perfect. Put your foot down and it makes a fantastic noise without drawing too much attention to me !

Edited by Rs2oo
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

The k4 will sound similar to the hks replica. I'm sure there's plenty of vids on YouTube as I did check myself

I have the k1 installed with a stainless y-pipe. This is really quite loud

The k2 is more refined, similar to the standard system but a little more sound when the loud pedal is on the floor

The k4 will be somewhere in between both of these, the system is quite large so will expect it to be pretty heavy

Ultimately youtube will be your best friend on this one

• 10 months later...

Fitted the K1 a couple of years ago.Time and winters had taken their toll on the original cats so decided to go for the sport cats along with the new y pipe from Japspeed.The y pipe/cats came out at 20 mm too short so adjusted the rear sectino hangers so as to get something of a fit so I could use the car,my daily.

Unfortuneatly Im sick and tired of the right hand cat rattling and the backbox doing the same.Shame because the sound and exterior welding(although some is an overweld touch up) are so nice.So,now looking for a non Japspeed replacement.Japspeed have offered to inspect the cats and check the measurement but as its my daily driver I cannot be with it for the length of time this "inspection"will take ,Ill buy something else.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...