New Alpine Unit and Sat Nav Fitted

maestegman

OK guys. Just thought I'd share some photos with you of my new toys. Following the advice received from other forum members, I decided to buy an Alpine CDE 104 BTi.

What a bit of kit!

I had it supplied and fitted by a local shop (Road Runner in Llantwit Fardre near Pontypridd). Absolutely delighted with the job and can wholeheartedly recommend them. iPod connection lead runs into the armrest cubby and works (full speed control and charging facility) my iPhone 3G perfectly. Steering wheel controls work a treat too.

The built-in Parrot bluetooth unit is amazing. Picks up my iPhone first time, everytime and, I'm told, the sound quality 'on the other end' is excellent.

They also carried out a semi-permanent installation of my Garmin Nuvi 710 sat nav (hard wiring it into the dash cubby). Really delighted with this. Cheap and cheerful maybe but extremely functional and looks fine. They only charged me an additional £15 for this!

I suppose the only thing I'm not 100% happy with is the slight bowing to the bottom pocket of the facia. Any remedies welcomed.

Photos below for those who are interested.

DSC01691.jpg

DSC01692.jpg

DSC01693.jpg

DSC01694.jpg

It looks like the right fascia to me. What needs to happen (and it is a PITA and fiddly) is the trim below the fascia needs to be tugged up a little to close the gap (or spaced up a tad). Here is mine with the gap just about closed.

DSCF1465.jpg

H5 - yours looks great. What do you mean by "tugged up a little to close the gap"?

BTW, absolutely loving the Alpine unit! The garage that installed it has recommended getting new speakers as well. Will no doubt be asking for further advice shortly.

Can't believe I'm thinking about changing BOSE speakers!!

Sorry, not the best description! The bit of trim underneath (the surround around the heater dials) needs to be properly in place to 'push' the thin strip of trim along the bottom of the stereo fascia up. On yours it looks like the edges are meeting up but it looks to me like the middle is a bit low? The only other fix is to pull the headunit out and start again with the fascia, but that will be a fair amount of hassle. I suggest leaving for a few weeks and let everything settle and see how it looks then.

As for BOSE speakers, once you see them you'll wonder why you didn't change them sooner! BOSE are nothing but a marketing company that stick their name on other manufacturers stuff. Alpine, JL Audio, Genesis, Focal, Hertz etc all knock them into next week when it comes to sound. :)

Am i right in thinking that if the speakers are changed, the amp must also be changed at the same time? Something to do with the 1Ohm resistance load? maybe i got this the wrong way round and its the speakers wont run with a different amp?