North Weald Airfield Day 16th Aug - Book Now!

Chris`I

Guys,

As a few have expressed an interest in doing the CarLimits activity day, I am proposing we doing one on 16th Aug. They dont appear to have any sessions we could use as a dedicated 350z-uk one, so I am planning that we just jump in on this public one. There are 17 spaces left at the moment, so although there are not many gone, there arent that many to go either!

Bit of info for you: ( http://www.carlimits.com/ )

Activity Days

Have fun in your car, increase your driving ability and confidence, meet new faces and try some of the exercises experienced on an Airfield Driver Training Day. Have a go at the high speed bend and circuits in the afternoon.

Itinary:

09.00am

Meet on the airfield. Once most people have arrived there will be a briefing by the instructor.

9.30am - 4.00pm

A large group day with the following activities;

High speed bend.

Small circuit.

Medium Circuit

Sprint Circuit included weather/time permitting

Lunch will be at the restaurant, at around 12:00pm.

Address:

Merlin Way

North Weald

Essex

North Weald Airfield is off Junction 7 on the M11. Follow the signs for North Weald Market and this will take you straight to the airfield. There will be only 1 gate open on the day, next to the Air Traffic Control Tower. The person on the gate will direct you to where you will need to be.

You will need to bring your driving licence with you on the day. There are food facilities located on the airfield. The day will begin at 9.00am and finish at approximately 4.00pm. Spectators are allowed onto the airfield but there are no facilities for them to sit and watch.

Please note that as your vehicle will be cornering at speed, you may need to inflate your tyres more than you would normally. Vehicles such as the Lotus Elise, Caterham etc are usually ok as they are lightweight and designed for high speed cornering, but cars such as Subaru Imprezas, Porsches, Madzas, TVRs etc are recommended to inflate their tyres to the maximum stated on the tyre itself to protect the side wall of the tyre. There is a garage just off the M11 roundabout (on the A414 towards Harlow) where you can do this before the event. We usually have a tyre pressure gauge so that you can decrease the tyres before your journey home!

Its great fun and very cheap! Apparently you are covered on your normal insurance as you are not on a track. I am a bit dubious of this, but as its a very open area, chance of accident is very small!

Have a look on youtube for the vids and add your name below if you fancy it :thumbs:

1. Chris`I

2. MAD7BOY

UPDATE: I have now booked onto the 16th Aug day, so feel free to do the same - http://www.carlimits.com/script/viewEve ... h=20090801

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you allow a civic?

Yeah mate, its a free for all, its not a specific 350z-uk day. Ben (MAD7BOY) has a 300WHP Evo :scare:

Just want to give everyone who was interested a heads up so we can all book on the same day if there is a decent amount of interest. Theres 25 places I think and 17 remaining when I checked so theres already some guys on it in some interesting metal.

Its normally no more than £50 for the day. The current price is £46, and I cant see that changing. The prices do seem to vary day to day, the one I did was £38. Its bloody good fun and even more so in a bit of wet weather :drive1

ok thats good to know, as when i was looking it was saying for 2 people £400 :scare:

i presume thats the minimum you need.

Thats for the proper training days. This is just a "taster" day, where you get to do a bit of hooning around and if you are lucky grab a ride with Andy. On a proper day (£200+ ea) you get one to one tuition with Andy. This is meant to get you interested in booking a proper day, but we use it as a cheap hoon about :teeth:

Think we have enough interest to just book it, I'm going to give it til after JTS and then sign up. Places dont seem to be going quickly, theres still 17 left since I started the thread.

Friend of mine did this earlier in the year, he did the £200 day. Said it was the best £200 he had ever spent. I would be up for this but I'm booked on this already for later in the year. :thumbs:

No reason you cant do two! Its only £46 ;)

Did this a couple of years ago... agree great fun but the air field totally ate my tyres and watch out for stones/granite on the track!

Either way, pray for you all that it's a little bit wet B)

Did you do this at the same place? My tyres were pretty buggered before I started and it used hardly any tread, it was very kind to them for an airfield. Also did you pump your tyres right up? This makes them less grippy which means less wear and more fun :drive1

For those interested, I have provisionally booked now - put my name down but havent paid. Feel free to join me, Amanda and Ben :thumbs:

Chris, are these like normal track days where you can do as many laps as you like on each track (time permitting)?

Also, im gna need some reccomendations for tires that wont be shreded in 1 20 min session. The state of mine after Silverstone :( crappy bridgestones!

Ive lost all the small grooves on the inside of the tyre that are for clearing the water, but the main tread of the tyre still has loads left! Think maybe its a tracking issue, but anyways I had lumps of rubber coming off the tyre. Think it was just too hot for them :(

Chris, are these like normal track days where you can do as many laps as you like on each track (time permitting)?

Yes, you queue up to have a go and then off you go when you get to the front :) Theres only one car on each bit at one time (either the high speed bend for the morning, or one of the 2 courses in the afternoon)

Also, im gna need some reccomendations for tires that wont be shreded in 1 20 min session. The state of mine after Silverstone :( crappy bridgestones!

Ive lost all the small grooves on the inside of the tyre that are for clearing the water, but the main tread of the tyre still has loads left! Think maybe its a tracking issue, but anyways I had lumps of rubber coming off the tyre. Think it was just too hot for them :(

TBH, I dont know much about the Bridgestones, but that sounds like a tracking problem. I had my NSF tyre start doing this before I had my tyres changed for Wales and that was defiantely tracking as the other one was fine. Its also a common issues with certain Bridgestones that the tyres feather (try doing a search on here for "tyre feathering"). I didnt think that issue was sorted a long time ago though.

As most people quickly learn, if you hoon around a track or airfield too quickly you will shred your tyres. What you need to do is go around near the limit but not over it. When you go over the limit and loose traction, that is when you shred the tyres. Ask Ben about his first track day at Bedford and his tyres :headhurt: If you control the car properly, you shouldnt get much wear. Plus we pump them up so hard, you break traction a lot early which slows the wear down.

Urmm .

I was meant to do this 2 years ago but the day before i had a real bad motorcycle crash. :(

So its a sunday and does it cost £50 odd still?

If so how many places are left as i might be able to get a few gtr mates to come along? Might be the first time i get to use my r32 this year :).