Sat Nav, Head Unit and Cubby Hole Conundrum

maestegman

First of all, many thanks to Sunset, H5 and Rob_Quads, in particular, for some expert guidance in a previous topic.

I've decided to go with the Alpine CDE 104 BTi unit suggested by Rob_Quads. This unit seems very good and certainly ticks all of my boxes. After quite a bit of investigation, the best supply and fit I could secure (locally) was £302. This also includes the facia, BOSE loom and steering wheel controls. It's being installed on Monday 1st June.

I now have a problem that I'd further advice on if possible.

I've also instructed the fitter to install my Garmin Nuvi 710 semi-permanently in the dash cubby hole. This will include a hard wire set-up. I've sourced a stubby mount from the US (following previous advice from this forum) to allow the sat nav unit to fit neatly in the cubby hole.

Essentially, the difficulty I now have is that the Alpine unit provides an iPod/iPhone link via the back of the unit. I want to connect my iPhone 3G using the included lead. This will provide full speed access to my music.

The problem is that the sat nav unit is a snug fit in the cubby hole and there's no room for the iPhone.

Where would be the best place to put the iPhone? My original thoughts were to ask the fitter to cut a hole in the lower pocket of the facia in order to feed the lead through which will then connect to my iPhone which will rest on the lower pocket shelf.

This is clearly an inelegant solution. Ideas on a postcard please (or ideally, below this initial post) :)

How long is the lead and what year is the car? The best place to put it (if it reaches) is in the little cubby armrest. Any competant installer should be able to run the wire behind the HU, down behind the AC controls, down the centre section to the cubby. Unless you need access to it for selecting Albums etc, this is the best place as its out of sight :thumbs:

Why would you just not put the iPhone on a holder placed in the cup holder in the passenger side? The problem with putting it in a cubby is you really need to see the display to see what playlists etc your selecting.

I use the holder you get out of Asda for about £20, holds the Ipod brilliantly and also the added bonus that my HTC Touch Diamond sits great on it as well if I'm not using the Ipod.

Excellent - as always - brilliant advice. :clap:

Chris - the lead, apparently, is 2m long. See:

http://www.alpine-europe.com/united_kin ... 433iv.html

As I understand it, the lead also charges the iPhone which will be a bonus.

My car is a '54' plate with GT pack.

I think the Alpine unit displays the iPhone's music functions so I'd be happy for it to be tucked away. It's better to be out of sight in my car too as I'm always leaving it on the seat (in full view of the criminal fraternity)! :doh:

My original thoughts were to ask the fitter to cut a hole in the lower pocket of the facia in order to feed the lead through which will then connect to my iPhone which will rest on the lower pocket shelf.

That's exactly what I've done with mine. Keeps the iPhone handy in case I need it, but the cable is well tucked away so that only the connector is sitting in the pocket. Personally I'd rather keep the already small cubby near the armrest free for various other bits, and the DIN pocket is so small anyway I can't think of anything else I'd want to put in there.

Both locations are good - for me the small pocket is ideal for the iPhone as it means its got easy access. With the iPhone you are likely to be removing it every time. The armrest is more ideal for a normal ipod you tend to leave in the car (I have mine in there) as you are likely to leave it thus don't want it in view.

Interesting.

I've actually got an old iPod (not sure what storage as I'd need to dig it out) but it might be an idea to leave this in the armrest cubby as a sort of resident hard drive with, perhaps, some weekly syncing.

What do you guys think?

I'm assuming the Alpine unit will connect via Bluetooth for calls anyway.