How to - 'Clear out' UK OEM fog light

T2JOU

I'm thinking of doing this mod this weekend as I've been putting it off for too long now ...

Has anyone done this mod more recently?

If so, did you have to remove the rear bumper completely?

I've got the necessary bulbs etc .. but am just worried about removing the bumper to get to the light etc ..

Thanks!

BulletMagnet

Thanks for the info and link .. It doesn't look too difficult but then I won't really know until I make a start on it .. LoL

So when you say that you loosened the bumper on the right side only ... how much of it did you have to undo ..

I found the bumper removal instructions on: http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Rear_Bumper_Removal

but wasn't sure how far down the instructions I'd need to go ...

If you can get the 90 degree clips off you've done the hard part and may as well take the whole thing off to make life easy. You don't have to but it's easy enough and saves risking 'over flexing' the bumper if you are struggling.

I found one of the 90's easy, the other a right pig. Trouble is they are plastic and easily rounded. If they were metal they would be easy. The rest of it's a breeze, just take your time. :thumbs:

BulletMagnet

Thanks for the info and link .. It doesn't look too difficult but then I won't really know until I make a start on it .. LoL

So when you say that you loosened the bumper on the right side only ... how much of it did you have to undo ..

I found the bumper removal instructions on: http://www.350z-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Rear_Bumper_Removal

but wasn't sure how far down the instructions I'd need to go ...

just all the bolts in the right rear wheel arch and everything up to the middle

Woo Hoo!

I just finished doing this on my Zed .. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it'd be although there were a few moments where I felt like giving up ... namely the white clip under the top edge of the bumper...

I didn't have to take the whole bumper off either .. I just loosened the bumper enough on the right side to be able to squeeze the lamp out..

With the oven part .. I just kept checking every 2 minutes and after 3 attempts it was open .. the red lense just fell out once the lamp was in 2 parts ..

There's more than enough glue to stick it back without having to use any extra sealant as well ...

I also changed the rear indicator bulbs to Philips SilverVision bulbs ...

I'm well pleased with the end result .. Thanks for your help!

:yahoo:

• 1 year later...

Having read this thread can anyone tell me what they do at MOT time other than replace the lense or have you fitted a red bulb?

Use the high power red led bulb specified in post 1. Looks as effective as the original when switched on, and passes MOT no problem.

The idea is to remove the un-symetrical red/white look in the rear clusters, it's not about having 'clear' lenses. Either way you have to take them out of the bumper to change the housing or 'clear out' the red lense, if you don't want an aftermarket look but want rid of the single fog light look, this just costs you the price of a bulb.

The oven doesn't have to be that hot to loosen the glue, I started lower and just kept checking until it was loosening up. It really is very easy.

The crystal clear ones just look so much better, and for all the hassle of taking iff your bumper putting the originals in the oven etc etc.... I paid £90 for my set and sold my OEM ones for £45 when I sell the Zed I expect someone would pay £30-£40 for a swap too :thumbs:

Where from? I've done a few googles but haven't really found anything?

• 5 months later...

Read this guide this morning and jumped straight in. I'm just going to put a couple of low res pics up of the process as we have all seen it before...

1. Start

2. Tail lights off

3. Bumper unscrewed and eased back, plenty of access if you are dextrous

4. Rear cluster out

scully1.jpg.41a61efc7a6bcb1839bc94a77c3e8048.jpg

5. Prepared on baking tray

6. Baking - I did Gas Mk.6 for 1 minute, 45 secs & another 45 secs

7. Then pealed back completely

8. Red lense just pulled out (a bit gluey) and the mirrored reflector was just 2 plastic studs with melted heads.

scully5.jpg.b86345948054b4339951e0634e830cfa.jpg

9. Back together and baked for another minute, squeezed it on all edges then another 30secs, ready to go back in

10. All back together

scully9.jpg.2e211b425862affa09dab3a9c8748735.jpg

I did have one problem though which the cause happened before I owned the car. In the year and a bit I've had the car I had always noticed hair line fractures in the paint just below the rear cluster. A small impact of some sort - no major damage.

When I got the cluster out there was a crack across it and the electrical connector was broken.

The crack was behind the metal part which is now removed. Sealed up the crack with a hot glue gun and all good, the connector still 'clicks' in so ok there.

scully11.jpg.92ba86271d93e0cab1ffa218d9eafb05.jpg

The eagle eyed of you will notice the crack through the lense but only if your looking for it.

I'm happy for now, but a new rear cluster has been added to the ever growing shopping list!

• 3 months later...

Just did this today with a spare rear cluster except I did two things different.

Used a hair dryer instead of an oven (works a treat by the way :thumbs: )

Didn't remove the silver reflector inside as I thought it might reduce the amount of light the fog light puts out.

Would be interested in the reasoning for taking the reflector out. Is it purely for looks like the rest of this mod?

• 4 months later...

Attempted this at the weekend...

Little tip for those who don't wish to ruin their ovens; a cardboard box and heatgun make a great makeshift oven!

Ensure you check it every 15/20 seconds, gets surprisingly hot, very quickly!

rjf2.jpg.273276f83d95608c4e7ad55d6bf8ca2d.jpg

rjf1.jpg.fdddef21d84e94e2c6936dfc1efa7585.jpg

• 5 months later...

Utterly brilliant post.. this site rocks for us 350z owners... i was unaware that the red lens could be removed so easily, Infact i was googling possibilities of a UK OEM drivers side clear lens when the link to this post came up Gonna buy a pair of these from flea bay for R + D purposes to kick start another LED project once i get the HR and DE front reflectors sorted which should be just a couple of weeks (awaiting a "mahoosive" shipment of LED's)

Edited by Martinjj

• 2 months later...