Sub £200 Unit + S/W Controls + Fascia + Fitting

maestegman

Ok guys/gals - advice needed.

Until last week's Wales meet, I was going to purchase a double din unit for the Zed. However, after seeing so many single audio units fitted to the cars, I've decided to go for a simpler/cheaper option.

I've set a slightly elastic budget of £200 to purchase and fit the unit. This includes the fascia and steering wheel control.

I appreciate that this is really going to limit my options although, on the face of it, I only require the following:

1. MP3 playback

2. Facility to connect my iPhone 3G (controls unnecessary just playback)

3. USB connection would be nice but not essential

4. Face off would also be useful but not essential

I'd be willing to stretch my budget to achieve DAB functionality but I'm not keen on additional wires hanging anywhere.

Ideas?

Go Alpine, Sony do not know in car like Alpine do. Just trying to think of installers that way..... :blink:

As for the steering wheel controls, you will only get track up and down and volume, and you won't have the handsfree controls through the wheel anymore. You will, however, have the option to have a hands free set up through the new head unit. ;)

Yup, would strongly recommend Alpine as they are some of the best out there and very user friendly.

If your have an elastic budget lol then it might be worth looking at the Alpine 104BT - This is a great head unit with pull iPhone/iPod compatilibility, really easy to use and built in bluetooth meaning you will not miss loosing the built in one (the Alpine one is actually a Parrot who are the #1 aftermarket hands free supplier)

http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/new_for_ ... ml?cat=732 - A bit more at £190 bit lots for your money.

Don't waste your money on DAB - hardly anyone does it now. It not taken off at all in-car

Many thanks for the advice guys.

OK - Alpine it is then.

Would like to maintain the S/W controls and and get it fitted properly.

Sunset - I pass the fitters on North Rd everyday on the way in to work. I'll give them a bell tomorrow.

The Alpine unit suggested by Rob Quads looks like a very decent bit of kit. Research of recent reviews backs this up.

Therefore, I'm going for the Alpine CDE104BTi.

Problem is, I've telephoned a few fitters and the total cost is starting to build up:

1. Facia = £20 (that's fine)

2. S/W Adaptor = £20 (that's fine)

3. Fitting = approx. £50 (that's fine)

but

4. Loom to connect to Boses(!) = £70 (WTF?)

I'm also looking to get the Sat Nav I bought (Garmin Nuvi 710) permanently fitted into the cubby hole at the same time.

The cheapest place I've found is: http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/ for the kit but I'm still gathering quotes for the work.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going for a CDE104BTi as well - looks nice - and thanks Rob for links for Bose Loom/S-W adapter

I have the Bose sub (GT pack) - can I assume the adapter works on this? Also can anyone recommend a source for a Fascia?

Is installation needed, or can this be easily done DIY?

Thanks in advance, Dave

Many thanks again Rob - ur a star!

I was told by a fitter that the 'answer call' button on the steering wheel wouldnt work with the Alpine 104bti and adapter, and I would have to press a button on radio to answer - is that right?

Sunset - thought you already sold facia - so will bare you in mind if I go down this route! thanks!

Dave

I was told by a fitter that the 'answer call' button on the steering wheel wouldnt work with the Alpine 104bti and adapter, and I would have to press a button on radio to answer - is that right?

That is correct. the steering wheel controls for handsfree will not work for any (AFAIK) aftermarket bluethooth/hands free module/head unit

(it may be possible to wire but you need electronics knowledge)

There had been mention the standard nissan bluetooth module does still sort of work with an aftermarket head unit but not sure how