1st Time Car Detailing Shopping List

maestegman

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks drewbie. It WAS a painful first shop although I'm really looking forward to spending some time on the car. It was professionally valeted before I bought the car (about 3 weeks ago) but I'm sure I'll be able to add to its appearance following the excellent advice I've received from this forum.

In addition to the £132 I originally spent on detailing goodies, I've also spent £25 at Halfords (Megs Leather Cleaner, AG Glass Polish, some more MF cloths and some horribly expensive TW Glass Cleaner).

Although originally omitted from my shopping list, I might just buy a Megs Clay Kit as well tomorrow morning.

A grand total of (approx) £200! :scare:

God help me if the missus finds out! ;)

God help me if the missus finds out! ;)

Ah yes that problem. I think you'll find most of our ladies think that detailing products cost anywhere up to £6 for the really good stuff, Body kits around £150 for a full set ( well it is just a bit of plastic ) and engine mods range between £50 - £200 :) The unwritten rule is that we never talk about prices when we're out on social events and ladies are present - bless 'em.

PS Costco ( for anyone that's a member ) do packs of 50 excellent MF cloths for around £17 !!! They're virtually as good as the Meguairs one I bought for £5 each :scare: I sold 20 of them to a mate for £20 and have now got 30 MF cloths and £2 profit - got to make savings where you can.

Prices are a big secret... Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

My missus has been with me when I've spend hundreds on detailing bits and bobs. She never comments. She likes her car to be clean though. She has been hinting at me machining it again.......

Bit late seeing this, but I wouldn't use a lambswool mit - too much chance of dirt particles getting trapped and scratching the paint. Just stick to microfibre cloths.

I don't like sonus clay. Used meg's and zaino - both nice. Just ordered some bilt hamber so will see what that is like.

I dilute solution of car shampoo and water works fine as a lubricant for the clay (or just water for the BH bar apparently), so you don't need to waste money on clay lubes.

Thanks guys. I was going to start the job today although I got roped into playing a game of rugby. It was actually a tough call between the car and oval ball!

If I'm not too stiff (at 37, I should be playing golf) tomorrow morning, I'll spend all day on her.

BTW, add the following to my original list:

Megs X Tyre Cleaner/Shine

Megs X Metal Polish

AG Carpet Foam

Bloody Halfords 3 for 2 :surrender:

I also tried to add photos of all the stuff I bought but failed miserably. Any help in posting images would be welcomed. I also took a photo of all the car cleaning/polishing products I had in garage before joining this site. Should give a few of you a laugh!

PS My dad thinks I'm mad buying all the "rubbish" I have. Apparently, some Fairy Liquid and a tub of Mer is all I need! :wacko:

Thanks guys. I was going to start the job today although I got roped into playing a game of rugby. It was actually a tough call between the car and oval ball!

If I'm not too stiff (at 37, I should be playing golf) tomorrow morning, I'll spend all day on her.

BTW, add the following to my original list:

Megs X Tyre Cleaner/Shine

Megs X Metal Polish

AG Carpet Foam

Bloody Halfords 3 for 2 :surrender:

I also tried to add photos of all the stuff I bought but failed miserably. Any help in posting images would be welcomed. I also took a photo of all the car cleaning/polishing products I had in garage before joining this site. Should give a few of you a laugh!

PS My dad thinks I'm mad buying all the "rubbish" I have. Apparently, some Fairy Liquid and a tub of Mer is all I need! :wacko:

My dad laughed at me getting all snobby about my car detailing stuff. I bought him Megs stuff for his birthday a few years ago and now he loves it. Now he laughs at the stuff I use again.

I picked him up from the airport a couple of weeks ago in his black Range Rover that was mirror shiny and glass smooth and he said ' looks alright I suppose...' I knew he was impressed! I had sent an MMS to him of the reflection of me in the door!

I'm quite sure if he had more time he'd buy all the premium stuff too. He's happy for me to do it just now though! :lol::lol:

Give it a month and he'll be asking if you have time to 'use all that fancy stuff on mine.... doubt it'll be better than fairy and mer. Prove me wrong son!'

:headhurt::headhurt: At the Fairy Liquid. No idea what Mer is, we don't have it here, unless it's branded as something different.

OK. I'm a strong coffee away from getting stuck into the car. Bad back from rugby, sore head from Grolsch but can't wait to start. I'll take some piccies too and, with any luck, I'll post tonight.

Thanks again Stew et al.

Wait till you finish before you say thanks... :lol::lol::lol:

Available all day if you have a prob or need advice. I'm only a PM (or call) away.

OK. After a long, hard (but very enjoyable) day. I've given my Zed her first good clean under my ownership.

Following advice (and about £200 of detailing goodies), I did the following:

1. Hose down the car

2. Wash with Chemical Guys Wash and Gloss and bilberry wheel cleaner

3. Dry with MF towel

4. Apply Poorboys SSR, Poorboys Wheel Sealant and buff

5. Wash with Chemical Guys Wash and Gloss

6. Dry with MF towel

7. Apply Dodo Juice Ranforest Rub and buff

8. Wash with Chemical Guys Wash and Gloss

9. Dry with MF towel

10. Vacuum interior

11. Clean interior with Poorboys Natural Dressing, Megs Leather Wax and Megs Glass Cleaner

12. Apply Megs X Metal Polish to exhaust and buff

13. Apply Megs Tyre Shine

Comments:

a. Great smell on all the products!

b. Poorboys SSR was a sod to buff out (not sure whether I left it on the car too long though).

c. Amazed by how little Wash and Gloss I needed to use.

d. Probably applied far too much wheel sealant and, consequently, was difficult to buff out.

e. Failed to get the exhausts and the wheel crevices particularly clean (tips?).

f. Large microfibre drying towel was astonishing - beat chammy hands down.

g. Used bare hands to apply Dodo Juice - found this easier than using the pad.

h. Dodo Juice was fab - easy to buff, smelled lovely and left the car really shiny.

i. Poorboys Natural Dressing is fantastic stuff - great smell and superb finish with zero effort.

j. Really impressed with Megs X Glass Cleaner (best I've used).

k. Didn't really need to buy the Megs Leather Wax as the PB Natural Dressing would've sufficed.

You'll note that I didn't include claying in the process. I'll probably do this in future although I'm happy with my efforts today.

Obviously, I'm a complete novice at this and I'd genuinely welcome comments.

One thing is for sure - I got a lot more satisfaction out of this than paying for a valet (even though it would have been far less expensive!)

The SSR shouldn't really be left at all. You keep it moving until it goes powdery and then you buff / wipe it clean with a fresh cloth.

Glad you had a positive experience with most of the products. You've got a good bunch of stuff there. The step that would make applying and removing products easier would be claying....... :)

Now get the pics up!