Hi From RS Tuning!

RSTuning

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to get a selection of cars in to read the ECU's. Make sure all the software is supported and if not send them off for patching.

So if anyone is passing :)

can be there at about 4 - 4.30pm today if you are quick as i have to be away form Leeds before the rush hour starts!

Good to speak to you mate, see you shortly!

Say I was to bring the Zed up on Saturday, what sort of price would I be looking at?

Also would the reflash be dyno tuned or would it be flashed on preset mods?

I need to get some cars read first mate, i think most will need to be patched so the software supports them.

Plus i'm in Ireland this Saturday :)

Paul

What do you mean by "patched"? Software patch or hardware?

If all is good to go, you may want to set up a group buy session for rolling road and mapping... Reckon it will be MUCH easier for you once you get a few similar N/A zeds mapped from scratch. You'll then have the maps to build upon...

What do you mean by "patched"? Software patch or hardware?

If all is good to go, you may want to set up a group buy session for rolling road and mapping... Reckon it will be MUCH easier for you once you get a few similar N/A zeds mapped from scratch. You'll then have the maps to build upon...

I assume he means have the flashing software/hardware updated to cope with our ECUs. As there are so many variants of ECU, there will need to be that many variants of flashing software to cope with the differing features etc. At a guess, they send of the dump of the firmware from the ECU to whoever their supplier is, and they send back the new one which has all the functions of the original, plus the "magic" part which allows the tuning to be done.

RSTuning: I forgot to ask before but will we be able to have switchable maps and full throttle control (ie pedal to the metal = 100% open throttle)? How much tuning does the software allow? I have seen some that just mess with the MAF sensor signal to fool the engine into what is happening and some that allow full control.

This is the most interesting thread i've read in months! (With the exception of PhilTheForce hitting on Zedrush's sister of course...)

Keep us updated, i'd be keen for a saturday tuning session.

:lol::lol: I think it was his cousin and she never actually got in touch... :cry:

My only consolation is the promise of this thread... :lol:

Chris I think you're expecting too much from the stock ECU without any sort of aid.

RSTuning: I'm sure you already know this but there are 14 different types of stock ECU for the 350z and no two are alike. You may need to get as many different models as possible to do you data collation and testing.

Chris I think you're expecting too much from the stock ECU without any sort of aid.

Wasnt expecting all of it, just interested to know what we would get. I'm sure I heard of a place that did mapping on the Zed which offered multiple maps controllable via the cruise buttons. It may have been on an aftermarket ECU though :blush:

EDIT: Found it - UpRev offer map switching so it is defianately doable with the right software

If you get the fly by wire throttle to open 100% I'd be mighty impressed!

Technosquare can do it and thats on the stock ECU, so theres no reason they cant get it working with the right software :thumbs:

I would definately like to know what RS Tuning are using to tune it before I have my car done. There seems to be a lot of different ways to do it from quite basic modification of current signals (MAF etc) to almost full control of the ECU if sales blurb is to be beleived ;)

I visited RS Tuning on Wednesday and they tried to read the ECU.

Its only a small place but there is a 4-post lift, Dyno and all the gear. Clean too which is noce. It looks like they do quite a few of the usual suspects but seem rather keen on Renault as a speciality. No comment on that for now I think. Anyway they come across as very friendly and capable people which does engender confidence (sorry Guys, i missed getting your names).

The software requires a dump of the ROM which is sent off and patched to allow further tuning to be done. What the software can do looks pretty good and there shoudl be plenty of scope for decent tuning once everything is up and running.

Anyway, the software wasn't playing ball. It identified my ECU as a C700 but the software resolutely refused to dump it out, even though it said that the security status was ok and the ecu was ready. This seemed possible to be that it only had about 5 different security codes on file (JDM, 2 EU variants, a rev-up and a post 2006), We tried to crack the ECU security and that went well - but then .net crashed and the codes were lost. There were some mutterings about Vista so we switched to an XP laptop, and tried again but at this point I didn't have enough time left to wait for the full cracking program to run as it takes about 20 minutes.

There was some talk that the software wasn't allowing a dump because it already had a C700 ROM on file, but that seemed a bit thin to me. Personally I reckon it just needs to crack the security code first to get proper access and it's a shame I ran out of time to allow them to take a second go at it. I think they are going to get in touch with the manufacturer for some advice just to be sure.

Guys, if no-one else has been able to get to Leeds by next week I can come again on Tuesday 12th if that helps. keep us informed.

Cheers

Chris

Osiris.

Awesome, that has a very nice list of features, including multiple maps and true WOT :thumbs:

One for RS Tuning to answer - looking at the website, its usually a mail in system. Assuming you get a dump of each kind of ECU (the 14 different kinds according to wizard) does that mean you will be able to do everything in house or do you still need to send the dump away to UpRev for modification and you can only do the flashing? If its the latter that will be a bit of a bummer for people like me who travel miles to get there as we will need to be about long enough to get it sent over to the US or whereever and wait for it to come back before the remap can begin.

Hi Guys

Yes, we are using Uprev

We are a pro tuner outlet for them so all the mapping will be done here. The only issue IMO is that we need to send unknown roms for them to patch so the license can be installed (bit like EcuTeK in some ways).

We didnt really have much time to test on Chris's car but i do believe the reason it would not dump was because the ecu was already in the patched list. Although i am guessing and awaiting the response from Uprev!

P.S. Thanks for calling in chris, yes we do loads of renaults but the R26R is mine so be careful what you say :lol:

I'll answer everyones questions on monday but it's a bit hectic here as i'm going away for the weekend and attempting to sort everything out prior to this.

Cheers

Paul

This seems to be unfolding slowly now, I watch perched on the edge of my seat.

Forgive my ignorance on this matter as I don't pretend to know much about this stuff so don't read my post as patronising, simply questions I don't know the answers too:

What I'd be interested to know is if the re-coding/mapping was a complete and utter disaster and the system/program and ecu crashed/failed during the remap, would this be reversible or would my cars ecu be toast? Would it then be blank and need re-writing from scratch or would a simple re-set rectify this?

If this was the case who would be liable for the repair/replacement of my ecu? And do RS have a spare ecu in their shop just in case?

Cheers :)

If it is Osiris Uprev you guys are using.....then it is well supported and credible stateside. I mentioned earlier that they had a german outlet for EU business but that was never fully set up for UK customers. Nice to know that RStuning are on it now.

Looking forward to your results.

This seems to be unfolding slowly now, I watch perched on the edge of my seat.

Forgive my ignorance on this matter as I don't pretend to know much about this stuff so don't read my post as patronising, simply questions I don't know the answers too:

What I'd be interested to know is if the re-coding/mapping was a complete and utter disaster and the system/program and ecu crashed/failed during the remap, would this be reversible or would my cars ecu be toast? Would it then be blank and need re-writing from scratch or would a simple re-set rectify this?

If this was the case who would be liable for the repair/replacement of my ecu? And do RS have a spare ecu in their shop just in case?

Fair question, I was wondering that too

If it works like most other things that run off firmware, it doesnt matter if the flash fails, you can re-write it again, presumably from the backup they took of your ECU before starting to flash it. This is how it works for things like computers and phones, so I dont see this working any differently. If the ECU was bricked for some reason, I would be expecting RS Tuning to be picking up the bill for a new ECU, but I think it highly unlikely they would have stock of the different types of ECU in house. I dont think I have ever heard of an ECU being bricked in all my time of following remapping though, so cant see this being a problem.

If it works like most other things that run off firmware, it doesnt matter if the flash fails, you can re-write it again, presumably from the backup they took of your ECU before starting to flash it. This is how it works for things like computers and phones, so I dont see this working any differently. If the ECU was bricked for some reason, I would be expecting RS Tuning to be picking up the bill for a new ECU, but I think it highly unlikely they would have stock of the different types of ECU in house. I dont think I have ever heard of an ECU being bricked in all my time of following remapping though, so cant see this being a problem.

If worst comes to worst they can debug it on the bench or whip the chip off and replace/reprogramme it off the ECU.

R

I'm guessing we'll only know the answer to my question once a few have been done, but i'm going to ask anyway!

Does anyone know what we can expect from various mods after the remap?

Plenty on here have a combo of JWT or induction kit, plenum spacer and exhaust mod, any idea what sort of extra BHP/torque this is going to unlock?