Hi From RS Tuning!

RSTuning

This all looks very interesting, looking forward to seeing what kind of results it achieves.

What's the general opinion with regards ecu re-maps on stock cars? Is it worth it (implying that a stock ecu is somehow 'holding back' the engine's ability) without the addition of mods?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This all looks very interesting, looking forward to seeing what kind of results it achieves.

What's the general opinion with regards ecu re-maps on stock cars? Is it worth it (implying that a stock ecu is somehow 'holding back' the engine's ability) without the addition of mods?

Pingu got his done with an aftermarket ECU, but gains should be similar. He has his dyno graph about half way down this page - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17420&start=45

Reckon you should see about 20BHP and 30lb-ft torque. But its the shape of the curve that makes all the difference, much more lower down :thumbs:

I think for 20 - 30bhp.. the £575.00 + god knows how much fuel (to get there and back) would probably be worth it.

But I somehow doubt it'll be this much.

Otherwise, peeps, I would recommend you spend your money wisely and get a 50bhp of nitrous (like I did!)

I think for 20 - 30bhp.. the £575.00 + god knows how much fuel (to get there and back) would probably be worth it.

Otherwise, peeps, I would recommend you spend your money wisely and get a 50bhp of nitrous (like I did!)

don't for get that doesn't include the £100's you would have spent on induction kits, exhausts, plenum spacers etc to make the most of the re flash.

Thats why I'm waiting to see the outcome. The main thing to remember with it is that the headline increases will be minimal. If you look at Pingus plot the headline gains arent too much, but the extra torque low down the rev range is very good. Much better bang for buck than just sticking on mods and not having it done! :blush:

It's sad to think that in a way all these "breathing" mods are a waste of money if this map / flash doesn't work. Unless ofcourse you were doing it for the noise... in which case, it's worth it... Just about...

but with my car, it seems as if I've LOST power due to running lean. :thumbdown:

It's sad to think that in a way all these "breathing" mods are a waste of money if this map / flash doesn't work. Unless ofcourse you were doing it for the noise... in which case, it's worth it... Just about...

but with my car, it seems as if I've LOST power due to running lean. :thumbdown:

Yeah I agree. I just looked at my printout again and I am running the same AFR as you by the sounds of it. Topped out at a 13.5:1 AFR, which is higher than I remember. I think my pop charger also lost me power. I get the feeling (and has been said before) that the ECU isnt tuned to handle the extra flow. So give it more flow and it will allow you to use it a bit until you hit the ceiling AFR, which might be where we are with the OEM setup. Hopefully a new tune with chuck in some more fuel and bring down the AFR into a 12.5 region :)

Would it be possible for us outside UK to get such service??

its not that far a drive from sweden,

jeremyy clarkson did it on top gear :lol:;)

Actually my summer trip will run through Nurburgring towards Italy and Greece so UK sounds like a "small" deviation to this :lol:

I was more interested in a ECU mail-in service to be honest!! ;)

So if anyone is passing :)

Be careful what you ask for! I give it until CoB today before you have more Zeds than you know what to do with beating down your door!

Look forward to seeing the results when this is done :)

Be careful what you ask for! I give it until CoB today before you have more Zeds than you know what to do with beating down your door!

Haha, looking forward to it too tbh, will be nice to get some mapped up and running nice :)

Haha, looking forward to it too tbh, will be nice to get some mapped up and running nice :)

WOOP WOOP FINALLY!

Fingers still crossed though! :p

I need to get a selection of cars in to read the ECU's. Make sure all the software is supported and if not send them off for patching.

can be there at about 4 - 4.30pm today if you are quick as i have to be away form Leeds before the rush hour starts!