HD TV Recommendations

Kev946

OK So I admit to knowing absolutely nothing about flatscreen TV's and HD, but would like to take the plunge. My requirements are simply: -

1. High Quality - Prefer a reputabe make such as Sony etc.

2. Modest size so must come in a sensible range of sizes

It wil be hooked up to my Sony DVD Player and Surround Sound System, ( a bit od but still good), and a Sky + HD box

So what to look for and where to buy, e.g. plasma v's LCD, resolution etc. etc.

Al help appreciated

Cheers

plasma anyday. Far better contrast, blacks and resolution.

I've got a panasonic one. Pioneer are also very good but I think they no longer make them

Pioneer are still available to buy in Costco. Might be run out stock though, not sure!

Panasonic are superb. I have two 4 year old LCD Vieras and neither have missed a beat at all!

plasma anyday. Far better contrast, blacks and resolution.

I've got a panasonic one. Pioneer are also very good but I think they no longer make them

Pioneer are still available to buy in Costco. Might be run out stock though, not sure!

Panasonic are superb. I have two 4 year old LCD Vieras and neither have missed a beat at all!

Pioneer G9 series if you can find one, best on the market :#1: and yes the G9 is the last Plasma from Pioneer as they will not be making them anymore :byebye:

Great thanks guys, sounds like a Panasonic is the one to go for and I like the idea of a HD freeview box built in.

I've also just bought a Panasonic DVD Recorder.

Don't you mean freesat? nearly all have freeview built in ;)

The panasonics are generally the best from reviews I have read - but they cost a fortune. For nearly the same experience for far less you can't go wrong with a Samsung. Also - on the whole plasma / lcd debate it all depends on what you want to use it for. If its lots of films and standard resolution TV plasmas are generally better. If its hooking it up to your pc and playing computer games the LCD screens are better suited.

Caution - there are still a lot of "HD Ready" TVs out there (even Panasonic). Dont buy one - you need "Full HD" with the fastest refresh rate you can get. Cheers!

Yes i agree and i have a Panasonic full HD plasma, but please remember you will only see full HD if you have a Blueray player or an xbox360/ps3 console. There will not be any full hd broadcasts until 2012 at least. Most of the panasonic plasma's are full HD ready ;)

Sony Bravia mate. I have two and they are both soooo sweet.

Dont bother going for anything smaller than 36" either as the pixel ratio is so small you wont get a decent HD image.

Plasma vs LCD... no real difference. Have a look at the TVs, don't look at whether they are lcd or plasma and just pick the picture you prefer. If you want to really go for it, have a look at oLED tvs. sweeeeeeeeet (but not quite there yet!)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&sku=595303&Q=&is=REG&A=details

i have a 42" sony bravia, and its excellent, bought it a couple of years ago, it ws the left over of the previous years stock so got a good bargain, think it set me back £725 and that was 2 years ago. watching movies is great excellent colour quality. when we were in the show room they had loads playinng and must admit the bravia had the best pic and price.

+1 on the Panasonic, they have excellent warranty service too. My mate had one for 6 months and it developed something wrong with the screen. He bought from John Lewis who put him in touch with Panasonic techinical department who arranged a new unit to be delivered to his house before 10.30 next day and they installed it and took his old unit away. Wish Nissan had that sort of service!!!

There will not be any full hd broadcasts until 2012 at least. Most of the panasonic plasma's are full HD ready ;)

Apart from the BBC HD test card ;)

So is there a full HD test card? Where is that? :)

The only bbc hd i know of is on freesat and that is not full hd.

There will not be any full hd broadcasts until 2012 at least. Most of the panasonic plasma's are full HD ready ;)

Apart from the BBC HD test card ;)

So is there a full HD test card? Where is that? :)

The only bbc hd i know of is on freesat and that is not full hd.

Also depends what you consider "Full" HD. BBC HD (on Freesat, which I have :yahoo: ) is 1080i. While being the full resoluition, its only half the frame rate due to how the frames are constructed. We wont see 1080p broadcasts for a long time in this country due to the bandwidth needed. Although SkyHD do use 1080i@50fps which is about the same as 1080p@25fps. Confused yet? :lol:

So a few questions: -

1. How do I ensure I'm getting full HD. Is this 1080p?

2. I'd like Freeview HD. I assume this is Freesat?

3. What refresh rate is a minimum?

PS: Checked the Digitl Direct website an they have a good selection ,although I'm now even more confused. I may go to Comet and see a few in the flesh this weekend.

Comments in line :)

So a few questions: -

1. How do I ensure I'm getting full HD. Is this 1080p?

It will be labelled as a Full HD 1080p TV. And will say so in the description

2. I'd like Freeview HD. I assume this is Freesat?

There is no such thing as Freeview HD, yet. FreeSat is the only way to enjoy free HD content (BBC and ITV primarily) but it requires a satellite dish and box or TV that can take it. Freeview HD is supposed to be out this year at some point (maybe!) but will be limited and current TVs and set top boxes will not work with it due to the differences in encoding

3. What refresh rate is a minimum?

The higher the better, but in all honesty, unless you are playing games, any will do. PAL TV is 24fps which is the same as 24Hz. Most TVs now do 50fps or even 100fps. Sure the others can advise you better on this