350z to Z4MC

MarkW

Very nice. I've considered this in the past but am waiting to buy a new house so possibly in the future. Absolutely love the looks and very very rare - even more so than the Z. I've only ever seen one Z4M coupe and loved it there and then. For around £19k very good value for money and far cheaper (age for age) than an E46 M3 which is very common unfortuntely and slower too (although M3 owners will of course disagree with) due to its much heavier weight and is less focused than the Z4M. Enjoy it mate.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an M Roadster and loved it, but mine had the DSP Stereo Upgrade and it was the most impressive car Hi Fi I ever had. Made the Bose sound very feeble.

I miss that car very much and I'm always on the look out for another.

During the four or five months I had the car I only ever saw one other M Sport Z4, they are surprisingly rare on the roads.

I hope you enjoy it mate, I did. :thumbs:

A very nice writeup :D what is the 0-60 time ?

BMW quote 5.0 to 62, but they are generally quite conservative. Last months performance car got a 4.7 out of it which isn't too shabby. I've seen the 0-100 listed at under 12 seconds too.

One strange thing is the fuel tank is only 55l which after the 70l tank on the 350 seems rather small and reduces the range.

I've just swapped all the BMW blue/White propeller badges for carbon fiber black/silver ones, which gives it a really fresh look I think. Will post some pics when I've taken some.

Still haven't seen another Z4M yet, wonder how long it will be before I spot one?

One strange thing is the fuel tank is only 55l which after the 70l tank on the 350 seems rather small and reduces the range.

+1

My M3 was only getting about 250 miles to the tank, i thought I had a leak :surrender:

Untill i filled it up from empty to full and it only cost about £43....... :blush:

+1

My M3 was only getting about 250 miles to the tank, i thought I had a leak :surrender:

Untill i filled it up from empty to full and it only cost about £43....... :blush:

Yeah it's well under £50 for a full tank, I remember it being well over £70 in the 350 when petrol prices were at their worst!

For some reason filling a smaller tank more often doesn't seem as bad as a big tank less often even if the amount used is the same.

+1

Yeah it's well under £50 for a full tank, I remember it being well over £70 in the 350 when petrol prices were at their worst!

For some reason filling a smaller tank more often doesn't seem as bad as a big tank less often even if the amount used is the same.

Yeah makes me feel better even though its a false economy :lol:

Nice coupe mate !

I came in the other direction to a 350z from my 56 Interlagos blue Z4m coupe.. Great car.. piddling fuel tank .. more fun than Xmas !

Enjoy and you gotta just love that mechanical snarl and howl at the redline.. and in case you start wondering... yep.. they all sound like a bag of bolts on initial startup from cold and at low revs... it's a BM 3.2M engine thing made even louder by the z4m's lack of soundproofing ~vs~ the m3 !

Having seen the new Z4 which is RICE..and i meant that in a shouty upper case way.. it makes me want a bright red z4m coupe...

B)

Nice coupe mate !

I came in the other direction to a 350z from my 56 Interlagos blue Z4m coupe.. Great car.. piddling fuel tank .. more fun than Xmas !

Enjoy and you gotta just love that mechanical snarl and howl at the redline.. and in case you start wondering... yep.. they all sound like a bag of bolts on initial startup from cold and at low revs... it's a BM 3.2M engine thing made even louder by the z4m's lack of soundproofing ~vs~ the m3 !

Having seen the new Z4 which is RICE..and i meant that in a shouty upper case way.. it makes me want a bright red z4m coupe...

B)

Bag of bolts LOL not far wrong!

Interesting you went the other way, what made you choose the 350Z over the Z4M?

I really don't like the look of the new Z4 so far, too bland and looks too big - americanised? The interior looks nicer tho. I guess if the put the M3 V8 in it I might change my mind in a few years when they are down to £20k again :teeth:

Has anyone driven both the Z4M and the 3.0 coupe? I read a review yesterday that said there's not a huge difference and that the 3.0 Sport was a more refined car as a daily driver over the M. Haven't driven either so only going on what I read. It was a Parkers review.

I went from the z4mcoupe to the 350 for a few good reasons and a few not so good reasons !!! -

I have had lots of cars... i like em.. i change them often... i kept the z4m coupe for 2 yrs which is the second longest i have owned a car.. only car i owned longer was a z3mcoupe back in 1999.. that was a beast and more fun than the z4m as no traction control !!! but manageable nonetheless.

I got my z4m on a 2yr bm select agreement... after the 2yrs the buy price was rediculous compared to the cars actual value.

I never keep cars more than 2yrs as i get easily bored.. i like change !

BM offered me some pretty keen deals on a 630 sport, a 635d sport and an M3.. but i managed to resist for other reasons below....

I changed job and went to a permanent employee from a consultant and used to run the z4m as a company car for which there were some advantages....

The z4m gets quite wearing as a day to day long distance slogger whereas the 350 is a much better car for long distances.. The Z4m is comfy but the suspension transfers the road to your spine... nice for a spirited drive.. not nice travelling round the countries cities....

I owed the taxman rather a lot.... so i reduced my car fund and paid the tax man.. twisted priorities and all that !!!

My wife had an AMG ML Merc which was hemmorhaging money like a 3rd world dictator.. i look back at initial cost + MPG + servicing + tyres then at residual and cry openly like a baby... so we needed to get rid of that and dedicate some cash to replace it ..

We are about to use the cash we have from the ML63 and other savings to buy my wife (obviously just for the wife) a 57 or 08 plate s6 audi with that sweeeet v10 lambo engine in it.... that ought to keep me happy for a while.... if not my wife :)

As for the z4m coupe ~vs~ the 3.0 coupe... hmm... i drove a 3.0s for long weekend and i liked it but.. no comparison if you want out and out peformance, grip and torque delivery the z4m is king.. but.. the 3.0s is a peach of a car, more civilised than the z4m for a day to day.. personally for what i want i prefer the 350 over the 3.0s z4coupe... but probably as i have owned the z4m it has tainted my view of the 3.0s ... Each car has it's advantages and now the 3.0s coupes prices are falling they are a very very attractive car .. and still quick, grippy and make a nice muted howl of a noise...

I went from the z4mcoupe to the 350 for a few good reasons and a few not so good reasons !!! -

I have had lots of cars... i like em.. i change them often... i kept the z4m coupe for 2 yrs which is the second longest i have owned a car.. only car i owned longer was a z3mcoupe back in 1999.. that was a beast and more fun than the z4m as no traction control !!! but manageable nonetheless.

I got my z4m on a 2yr bm select agreement... after the 2yrs the buy price was rediculous compared to the cars actual value.

I never keep cars more than 2yrs as i get easily bored.. i like change !

BM offered me some pretty keen deals on a 630 sport, a 635d sport and an M3.. but i managed to resist for other reasons below....

I changed job and went to a permanent employee from a consultant and used to run the z4m as a company car for which there were some advantages....

The z4m gets quite wearing as a day to day long distance slogger whereas the 350 is a much better car for long distances.. The Z4m is comfy but the suspension transfers the road to your spine... nice for a spirited drive.. not nice travelling round the countries cities....

I owed the taxman rather a lot.... so i reduced my car fund and paid the tax man.. twisted priorities and all that !!!

My wife had an AMG ML Merc which was hemmorhaging money like a 3rd world dictator.. i look back at initial cost + MPG + servicing + tyres then at residual and cry openly like a baby... so we needed to get rid of that and dedicate some cash to replace it ..

We are about to use the cash we have from the ML63 and other savings to buy my wife (obviously just for the wife) a 57 or 08 plate s6 audi with that sweeeet v10 lambo engine in it.... that ought to keep me happy for a while.... if not my wife :)

As for the z4m coupe ~vs~ the 3.0 coupe... hmm... i drove a 3.0s for long weekend and i liked it but.. no comparison if you want out and out peformance, grip and torque delivery the z4m is king.. but.. the 3.0s is a peach of a car, more civilised than the z4m for a day to day.. personally for what i want i prefer the 350 over the 3.0s z4coupe... but probably as i have owned the z4m it has tainted my view of the 3.0s ... Each car has it's advantages and now the 3.0s coupes prices are falling they are a very very attractive car .. and still quick, grippy and make a nice muted howl of a noise...

Some good reasons there! It's shocking how much they have lost in two years and I sympethise with people who have lost out, but in the end the depreciation they have already suffered is why I bought one.

I would agree the 350Z is a better long distance car, but currently I do few long journeys and only around 6k a year so not an issue for me. I probably wouldn't want either car if I was constantly travelling 15k plus a year.

As for the 3.0si, I didn't drive one as I felt it was not a step up in performance from the 350Z. The Z4M Coupe was affordable, I drove it and loved it. The acceleration is addictive.

The Z4M has quite a different setup to the 3.0, it has regular tyres not runflats, hydraulic steering not electric, different suspension, and brakes from the M3 CSL. It also has a higher standard spec and a slightly nicer interior.

I think the 3.0 is probably a very good car in its own right, but I always wanted an 'M' car. They way I looked at it, if I bought a 3.0 and an M pulled up beside me would I be jealous - yes!

Here are some pics of the Carbon Fibre badges I fitted on the weekend:

2748946850076013887S600x600Q85.jpg

2589600400076013887S600x600Q85.jpg

2540317760076013887S600x600Q85.jpg

2895206450076013887S600x600Q85.jpg

You have got yourself a top piece of kit mate.. I like the badges, they suit the colour rather well.

One known issue to watch out for on the z4m is the gearbox can get notchy, normally noticeable when colder from 1st to 2nd at high revs it will fight back and refuse to go in.. i had my gearbox replaced under warranty at 10,000 miles.. it was ok for like 3mths then started to play up again... in the end it was sort of accepted that this was how they went !

Run it on 97 or better fuel.. you do feel the difference and it seemed to run much smoother on 97 than 95.

i have owned 2 other M cars - a 1999 z3mcoupe and a 2002 m5 (the v8 one). The z3m was a beast.. in some ways more fun than the z4m but it was always trying to kill you on the limit... it would snap from understeer to savage oversteer on the throttle ! i have rose tinted glases for the z3m as it was my first m-car.. the m5 was a good car, brutally fast all the way to it's artificially limited 155mph, agile for it's size, and made a great v8 howl but was just a bit sensible and too much of a "Q" car .. the z4m was the most precise of them all and probably a shade quicker than the m5...

One piece of advice .. don't turn off tration and turn on sport it in the wet or you may end up in casualty :):teeth:

top car mate !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...