350z to Z4MC

MarkW

Very sad to see the 350Z go on Saturday , loved that car, but I'm happy its gone to a good home.

Picked up the replacement on Saturday afternoon and its mostly snowed since :(

The bit of driving I have done I've loved it, but it's certainly brutal! It will take some learning to drive :teeth:

Anyway, here are a few pics.....

DSCN1572.JPG

DSCN1570.JPG

DSCN1556_2.JPG

DSCN1560.JPG

DSCN1563.JPG

DSCN1559_2.JPG

I think I need to change my sig now too.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best hairdresser's car to get if your gonna get one :teeth:

That's why I didn't go for the roadster :p I much prefer the Coupe, it looks B) and is a lot rarer.

You'd be surprised (maybe not) at the price of these now. I paid less for this than I did for my 350Z

• 3 weeks later...
That's why I didn't go for the roadster :p I much prefer the Coupe, it looks B) and is a lot rarer.

Likewise - I've only ever seen about 3 other coupes in the 5 months of ownership, and you don't often get to say that about a car.

I jumped the zed ship in favour of a Z4 Coupe but sadly not the M version which I am quite jealous off - nice car! Hope you're enjoying it.

I'll post some pics of mine.

Don't ask! :)

It's been sat outside for the past 4 months whilst I've been trying to sell it with no joy. I've probably had it priced to high plus the fact that mid-winter isn't the best time to be selling a zed roadster. Hopefully now the sun is starting to shine I'll have a bit more luck and I'll just have to drop the price a bit more and face an even bigger loss.

I've had a bit of fun with it but after all the hassle I went through I'm just happier with the Z4 :)

Don't ask! :)

It's been sat outside for the past 4 months whilst I've been trying to sell it with no joy. I've probably had it priced to high plus the fact that mid-winter isn't the best time to be selling a zed roadster. Hopefully now the sun is starting to shine I'll have a bit more luck and I'll just have to drop the price a bit more and face an even bigger loss.

I've had a bit of fun with it but after all the hassle I went through I'm just happier with the Z4 :)

Where is it forsale and for how much?

After having my new Z4M Coupe for almost a month, I thought I would write up my thoughts so far.

Exterior

I really love the low, squat looks of the car. I personally think it looks completely different (and much nicer) than the roadster. Also it's a lot rarer, having only been available from 2006-2008 and only in 3.0si or ///M models.

As with most ///M cars, the looks are quite subtle which I like, as it doesn't draw too much attention to itself. I don't know whether it is down to the colour (silver) or noise, but I don't get as many 'looks' as i did in the did in the 350Z GT4 (Black with JWT popcharger), which is a good or bad thing depending upon you point of view.

Interior

The overall fit and finish of the car outside and inside is of a much higher quality than the 350Z (the GT4 had the pre 2006 facelift interior) and the car feels more solid and well put together, though it is in fact 100 kg lighter. It has softer feel plastics and button controls that feel good to the touch as What Car would say.

Spec

Whereas almost everything is standard on the 350Z, there are still a number of options on the Z4MC, surprising for a £42k car, but it is german. It still has quite a high standard spec though, with leather, metallic paint, xenons, steering wheel controls and ///M badges everywhere!

The things it doesn't have that the 350Z had are, heated seats (would have liked these as help my bad back!), folding mirrors (not really bothered, maybe useful in car parks), 6CD changer (hardly ever used it), upgraded hifi (again, normally listen to the radio), and cruise control (its a sports car!).

However, over and above the 350Z it has BMW Sat Nav (which I now have speed cameras on :) ), bluetooth integration which actually seems to work ok, bi-xenons, memory seats, automatic lights, rain sensor, CD/MP3 Player, ipod socket, black headlining, plus lots of little configurable things like dropping the drivers window when opening the door to make access easier.

Engine

The main reason for buying the car is that 3.2 engine and it doesn't disappoint. At idle and low revs it is quiet and civilised (almost too quiet), and doesn't have as pleasing a noise as my 350Z with JWT. However, the rasping metallic noise it makes as it accelerates up to the red line sounds fantastic.

The power difference is really noticeable as you go up the revs, it is the quickest car i've owned by some margin and seems laughably (almost scarily) fast all the way up to the 8000 rpm redline. It 'only' has 45 bhp more than my 350Z, but with the weight difference it is really noticable.

To sum it up in one word - awesome :-)

Ride

The ride is quite hard and the rear end seems a bit bouncy on bad surfaces, but overall doesnt' feel much worse compared with the 350Z. I understand the Coupe has a different suspension setup to the roadster, to take advantage of its extra rigidity. The driving position is very different, you sit quite low down (the seats adjust much lower than the 350Z), looking down a very long bonnet, with your rear almost over the rear axle. The seat is very adjustable, but I'm still struggling to find a comfortable position - I think this is down to my bad back flaring up again which doesn't help. I'm still getting used to parking as it seems 2/3 of the car is in front of you, and only 1/3 behind.

Handling, i've not really had chance (or wanted to) push it, but it feels sharp and the back end steps out quite quickly exiting a turn if you get on the gas too quickly (but fortunately the DSC keeps it in check).

The steering is very quick, and on the motorway you do have to concentrate as you are always having to make minor adjustments, making it not the most relaxing car to drive. I think if I was doing a lot of long drives, it would not be my ideal main car, better kept as a 2nd car if I could afford it.

Running costs

Tyres (18"s) will be broadly the same, Road Tax is £400. Fuel so far is averaging around 23 mpg - the same as my 350Z. I think urban is a few mpg worse, but nothing that will make a lot of difference as I only do around 6k a year. Servicing is flexible but dearer, its due an Inspection 1 soon which will be around £5-600, then an oil service after another 12-15k (£200), and the big Inspection II after another 12-15k (up to £1000). Based upon the milage I do this is 4 years away though!

Overall

I loved my 350Z, it was the best car I ever owned and I would not rule out owning another one, (or a 370Z in a year or two when I could afford one!). However, the Z4MC is a completely different beast and at the moment I am very happy with my choice. I always wanted a TVR (love the T350), but wasn't brave enough to go for it with all the stories you read, plus the fact they are no longer around. I think the Z4MC is the closest to get to what a TVR would be if the germans built it, and hopefully it wont go wrong.

For the money, this must be one of the best performance cars you can buy. You get a car that listed at over £44k two years ago, 343 bhp, almost 911 performance, great looks, rarity value, most of the toys and some comfort all for under £20k. I just hope I stay in a fortunate enough position over the next couple of years to enjoy it and learn the car more.