The Differences & Spec

M13KYF

I checked on availability of a frequency shifter - available no problems for about £25, but I thought "Do I want to spend £25 - it'll still just be the standard player with a fix - let's spend a bit more and get a new one"

For £160 got a Sony CD radio from Halfords, with iPod port, USB port, bluetooth to my phone (so Phone calls mute the radio or CD, you can hear the phone perfectly with no risk of Plod giving you 3 points) and they fitted it - good job with the fitting as you have to take out the whole console around the gear stick. Anyway - spend a bit more money, get a fully UK compatible CD radio, fix the problem by a nice upgrade would be my recommendation

An Individual experience of de-limiting a JDM import 350Z

with special Thanks to BladesGrant and Abbey Motorsport

Back in late autumn 2009 I investigated who / how to delimit my JDM import 350Z roadster. Note, I did not really know what was involved, so no doubt some of my questions to the trade were a bit simple, but a few essential points arose.

Researching on the net came up with about 20 possibles. I'm afraid I immediately discounted all those without an address or a landline - mobile phone only does not inspire confidence to let them have their hands in my girls innards.

I was initially trying to find someone reasonably close to Manchester - but had to throw my net wider in the end.

Note - this is not a statistical survey - it's the results I got, and it's the responses I received. (Or not - there were sevaral who never returned my call. . . even after a couple or repeat calls)

I called:

Abbey Motorsport - good response, obviously knew what they were talking about, gave info freely

RS Tuning - left message (3 times) never called me back, obviously didn't want the job or too busy

Dyno Demon (on Wirral) I felt I'd been given only half the tale, decided "Not these" as they were vague about whether they'd use HKS defenser or re-map

AFR tuning (Crawley) - knowledgeable and helpful about HKS defenser, these guys were on my shortlist

Blue Chip performance (York) - left message, said they'd call back. . . . .didn't

Solware (Tamworth) Called these guys twice as their website has a couple of names. . . .1st time they said they'd call back (they didn't) and 2ndtime got someone who did NOT know anything. . .about anything . . . .

EPRacing (Loughboro) - knew about HKS defenser - but they don't do it. . .

Remap Science (Bradford) 1st time - "call again, I'm driving" 2nd time "Don't do a lot of Nissan work" - definitely fills you with confidence, eh!

So, none of the folks up north had given me any confidence and I had a shortlist of 2 - both in Surrey / Sussex area.

I opted for Abbey Motorsport, mainly because they were so obviously knowledgable, and said that they could de-limit my girl but without using the defenser they would leave me with other tune-up enhancement options for the future. They were polite, efficient, they called back when they said they would. . . .pretty much just what you'd want if you were going to let them take your little girl into their shed and do things to her. On the day I visited, they sorted her out in a couple of hours, explained what they'd done, and explained what other tune-ups were available as next steps. The fact that they also gave me marmite on toast with the coffee while I waited was just an added bonus.

As a matter of interest, they were not the most expensive, either - prices quoted across the list above varied between about £150 and £350 - I paid £200 and felt I'd received good service and fair value for money.

My girl - well, apart from the de-limiting, they said they'd adjusted the power in the first 3 gears (factory settings only give you 55% of max throttle in 1st, 65% in 2nd, and 75% in 3rd, apparently) so the most obvious difference is much improved low gear performance, especially for overtaking, and although I haven't 'gone all the way' with her yet, we've seen 140 and so the 120 limit is definitely removed!

Oh. . . . and - will I go for the next level of tuning. Well, the next step would cost somwhere over £600 - but I'm definitely thinking about it. . . .

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I've got a 2005 JDM Tiptronic in Gunmetal

It has

Heated leather seats

HID Lamps

Bose System(No Sat-Nav)

VDC

Manual Electronic Mirrors (no auto tilt?)

18" Alloys(not Rays)

Brembo Gold all round.

JAP limiter (soon to be removed,)

Squeeky rear N/S Caliper(not sure if this was standard?)

IMG_0138sm.jpg

Welcome, remould -

Do let us know how your removal of the JAP limiter goes.

Since my last post I've been back to Abbey Motorsport and they've improved the performance another step - changing the exhaust with a new Y pipe and then capitalising on the improved flow to add about 20 bhp and also quite a bit more torque. My girl now feels a whole lot more alert (Abbey describe it as " . . . more perky!"

To be honest she now feels like she was meant to be, but they penny-pinched on the clumsy exhaust and the savings compromised the performance. The extra power and torque now mean . . .well, let me describe it. You're stuck behind a Merc on the motorway, doing, well, maybe 85, (In theory, of course, I'd never actually break the speed limit) but the guy just won't move - then he finally shifts into the middle lane and you say "OK, let's go, girl" and with just a minor stroke of the throttle. . . .you end up getting to almost 100 by the time you get to his rear bumper, and then you're by. And, you can tell, she's just lapping it up, it's just so easy. This is how the engine was supposed to feel -

Anyway - I suggest you overcome the limiter with a re-map rather than just fit an HKS Defenser - it may cost you a little more this time but the opportunities for further improvement repay the investment.

Good Luck - do let us know how you proceed.

Got a killer question:

Given that the numberplate for Jap imports is narrow, is the hole above it & the light cluster also narrower? I need to fix an issue with having to take the bumper off to change bulbs and need to find out if I can just get a replacement light cluster instead.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

JDM Zeds are not undersealed in anyway at all so run the risk of rotting before your very eyes with the amount of salt we apply to our roads at the slightest hint of frost. Plus all of the above except UK cars and JDM cars DO have REAR WINDSCREEN WIPERS.

• 1 year later...

HI,

Apologies, I am very non-technical and bought my JDM 350z a couple of years ago. The headlights are very, very grubby (interior flaking and frosting on the glass itself) and I would like to replace them with new ones but do not know whether to get Xenon's or not. Researching seems to have confused me even more. A standard 350z '03 Auto will almost certainly have HID headlights?

It's an expensive mistake to make and I don't have money to waste.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi all,

What I'm about to ask will most likely be classified as downright silly but here it goes...

Will an OEM tail light from a JDM 350z (05) plug directly into my 2004 UK Spec Z without any hassle?   

Thanks in advance.  

EDIT: Got sorted.

Edited by N3iL

• 9 months later...