Checking OEM brake pads

M13KYF

After the last Wales trip I noticed a slight squealing from the rear brakes. Thought that perhaps time to change as they have done 30,000 miles. Not bad and from I have read it seemed to be a common time for them to be changed. Anyway after reading various posts on different pads, I opted for Endless VN9500 £158 full car set from BigPhil @ ESR.

Front OEM pads were OK and still ahd some life and not near the worn pad indicator. Swapped them over for some new Endless ones B)

Rear pads. Outer pads were ok with still some life and wear indicator had not been reached.. Inside rear pads a different story. Check the photos and you can see how the pad has began break up due to high heat build up on the leading edges :scare: This was the cause of the squealing as the meatrial was breaking up and flaking off. Still life in them and not down to the metal. No wear indicator on the inner pads.

pads inner and outer side by side

CIMG1549.jpg

inner rear pads, :scare:

CIMG1550.jpg

CIMG1551.jpg

comparison to the outer pad with no break up

CIMG1552.jpg

so if you OEM pads are getting near the 30K mark then perhaps worth taking them oput and having a look. The only way to inspect them is by removing them as you can't see if there is any damage while they are in the calliper.

New pads are very impressive. Although bedding in for 100km they are loads stronger than the OEM ones.

:teeth:

also while the wheels were off, fitted some LED sidelights. Thanks for the advice and info on these. They look loads better than the original bulbs. B)

fairly typical of what we see everyday and often after recent checks by the dealers. The majority of dealers check the pads with the wheels still on the car which results in this sort of wear not being spotted.

The same situation applies to the discs you need to check for lipage on the inside face as this wears first.

Handy you spotted this Mike - the other week on my 27K service the dealer told me my rears are 90% worn - mainly on the inner side (sound familiar ) but no squealing as yet?

Got my replacement pads and intend to fit them hopefully this weekend another first for me on the Zed!

Will let you know what mine look like? :scare:

Handy you spotted this Mike - the other week on my 27K service the dealer told me my rears are 90% worn - mainly on the inner side (sound familiar ) but no squealing as yet?

Got my replacement pads and intend to fit them hopefully this weekend another first for me on the Zed!

Will let you know what mine look like? :scare:

make sure you copper grease the leading and trailing edges on the pads where they rub against the calliper. This is where the heat builds up and causes the pad to break down. I guess over time the copper grease wears away and is more vulnerable on the inner sides.

My brother used some PlasticLube. It's better than coppergrease and the brake dust doesn't stick to it as much as copper grease. It's what Audi use on the R8's B) You can get a tube of the stuff from a VW or Audi garage. My brother was a Audi Technician hence the reason why he knows about this better stuff.

Thanks Mike :)

- only concern is the handbrake - they adjusted it right up - so dare I say it - it actually works well !! I guess I need to slacken it off but dont know how - need to do a search later on.

Anyway I feel a mini photo rich guide on the cards again! :D

Thanks Mike :)

- only concern is the handbrake - they adjusted it right up - so dare I say it - it actually works well !! I guess I need to slacken it off but dont know how - need to do a search later on.

Anyway I feel a mini photo rich guide on the cards again! :D

handbrake is different. The back has a small drum brake for the handbrake as well as the disc for the braking

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi folks, Im going to change all the discs and pads but need info on handbrake shoes, Ive noticed 2 different sizes advertised 170mm dia by 22mm wide or 175mm dia by 32mm wide, both cant be write. Has anyone had their HB shoes done and know which is the correct size. Mines a 350Z 2003 Fairlady Model. If not will have to remove, measure, put back, order parts then do it all over again so just trying to save myself some work.

Hi folks, Im going to change all the discs and pads but need info on handbrake shoes, Ive noticed 2 different sizes advertised 170mm dia by 22mm wide or 175mm dia by 32mm wide, both cant be write. Has anyone had their HB shoes done and know which is the correct size. Mines a 350Z 2003 Fairlady Model. If not will have to remove, measure, put back, order parts then do it all over again so just trying to save myself some work.

:pmzmanalex: