What you need to upgrade your 350z Audio System

Rob_Quads

I'm just wandering what my options are as the volume just isn't loud enough. I don't like it blasting my head off or anything, but the max volume is about 50% of the original stereo, I need more!!

The initial setup was the Bose system, so with AMPS and Sub as standard. On the first page of this post Rob mentioned the 'Autoleads Line Level Booster (0-18db)', part number PC9-460 which I've found for £25.

I'm just wandering if this will solve my problem, will it boost the levels sufficiently? Also, it looks like there is only 2 channels so does that mean I can only boost the front or back speakers? Or will I need 2 of these things? Is the PAC OEM2 a better solution?

Just trying to work out if I should bother with this or just buy a new aftermarket AMP to power the rear speakers and sub. Like I said, I'm not looking to burst my ear drums, I'd just like the sound to be at least as good and as loud as it was with the Bose stereo.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!!

Just to let you know, I found the answer to my problem regarding increasing the VOLUME of my system without the use of a line booster. When I was playing about with the wires behind the stereo, 1 of the RCA leads (the gold bit where it connects to the ICT 29-674 loom) touched the metal frame and it got noticably louder (about twice as loud actually!!). :scare:

So I earthed the RCA leads permanantly by wrapping some wire around one of the RCAs where they connect to the loom (didn't seem to make a difference which one). Then I connected the other end to my already made up earth wire that connects to the metal chassis.

It's now almost as loud as the Bose stereo (I'd say about 90%), but only after I increase the SLA on the stereo to max in the settings (which is like a volume level you can set for each AV channel, so Radio, iPod, DVD Player, etc). This is a massive improvement but still not perfect as the Navigation volume is at max and I can't really hear it over 50mph so still think I'll be fitting the line level booster anyway, I ordered the 'Autoleads Line Level Booster (0-18db)'. Just thought I'd post in case anyone else had the same problem, not sure if it's specific to my stereo or not (I have th Pioneer Avic-F900BT)

Looks like there are only 2 channels on the line booster though, so does that mean I'll need to connect it to either the front or the back?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Big thanks to those who compiled this thread - got the cables and facia I needed from Sextons, and replaced the OEM headunit with a Sony CDX-GT33U. Over the moon with it, no more faffing with CDs, just one USB key with every mp3 I want on. :thumbs:

I'd like to add my thanks too. :thumbs: I've now had my Pioneer P88 RSII fitted using the sextons adapter and the steering wheel controls. Also fitted a CD changer and ipod controller for the Pioneer, two Genesis dual mono amps, a set of CDT Eurosport ES62i front component speakers in Wicked CAS door pods and a CDT Eurosport ES10SQ sub in a strut bar enclosure. Will get some pics up in a separate thread when I get chance.

The Pioneer looks absolutely spot on in the Sextons single DIN fascia, much better than the stock bose unit and a perfect match for the interior. Also the ICT steering wheel controls have made ALL the buttons on the steering wheel perform a function which was an unexpected bonus. The track up/down and volume up/down work as expected but the two phone buttons also work too. The left one switches between sources on the headunit and the right one switches between radio stations in tuner mode and CDs in the changer in CD changer mode. :band: It may also do something when the ipod is connected too, haven't tried that yet.

I've been offered an xtrons DVD double din system really cheap and I Want to keep the steering wheel controls on the Bose system, I know what looms and facia to get but which specific steering wheel control should I get? The list has got the alpine pioneer etc but no xtrons

Pretty sure ICT only cater for the major brands not the chinese budget ones so you may well struggle to get steering controls unless it emulates one of the major brands

ok, at least it keeps the costs down, I suppose the only way of finding out Is to try them all, could be a bit of a pain

• 2 weeks later...

doesnt work , the buttons may do depends on HU.

my Bt module is still place and powered up so my iphone see it but its not conencted to anything .

not that its all that good anyhows you cant dial from the phone book etc , get new Hu with BT install rejoyce at the btter sound , usb and better BT !

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm after fitting the Pioneer AVH3300BT. I just want to check that I don't need to buy a cage for behind the facia. The Radio Shop guy reckons I do, and says I shouldn't trust you internet folks :lol:

He wanted to charge me £550 to fit a stereo I can get delivered to my door for £320. £230 for looms, facias and fitting seems somewhat over the top to me, so I'm going to have a crack at doing it myself. Just wanted to check the above though.

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone please check I have all I need to fit a a Clarion MAX678RVD...... MAX678RVD http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/products/2 ... 80854.html.

ICT 50-256 - Nissan 350Z Pre 06 Double Din - Facia

ICT 29-645 - Nissan Navara/Xtrial/350z USC Loom - Universal Steering Wheel Control Loom

ICT 29-003 - Clarion head-unit lead - this is for the steering wheel controls

ICT 23-007 - TURBO 1 Variable line driver - not sure if this is needed?

• 3 months later...

Thanks for all the info in this thread. Going to change my headunit in the next couple of weeks then the rest of the system shortly after, this has answered a lot of my questions.

I have one question remaining thou, somebody already asked but i couldn't see that it had been answered. Will you need two lines boosters if you plan on keeping the original sub and speakers? So far i have only heard needing one mentioned but if the sub and speakers run off different amps don't you need two?

• 4 weeks later...

This might be a stupid question, and I'm sure it's answered in the OP but I wanted to check before ordering the cables.

To fit a JVC I need the ICT 29-645 or ICT 29-674? The descriptions of both products say for use with an aftermarket head unit but is the 674 for an aftermarket Bose headunit where as the 645 will work with any other make?

:thumbs:

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Great post thanks but after reading all the threads and doing various searches I'm still unsure as to whether the existing built in sat nav voice would still work with a new head unit, any help or advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Mike :wacko: